Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Post ACDF muscle spasms

Comments

• Lili,

That pen almost sounds like the hand held one my Chiropractor used to use on specific areas. Is that what you have? Sorry, trying to picture it.

As for muscles when you overdue. I know for me, the longest the muscle itself would hurt was just over a week, and that was on a major overdue. Most times 3 or 4 days for me. Now what I do if I even *think* I might have overdone it is alternate heat and ice as soon as possible after the event. I find my preemptive strike most times helps reduce the strained muscle recovery. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Yes, it sounds like you are describing the same pen. Did you get any benefits from it? I find the TENS unit much better - have been using it since I received it in the mail yesterday.

Thanks for the advice on treating my acute muscle injury. I didn't do ice/heat immediately, so I think that's why things got worse for a while. Pain is finally getting much better and I slept like a baby last night. I) Wishing you a pain free day! :)
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • advertisement
  • I feel that the Tens Unit really helps. I have been having muscle spasms down my entire back and shoulders. Went back for an MRI with contrast from my cervical spine - just some bulging nothing serious to be causing my tightness, pain and colorful left hand. Going to the vascular surgeon on Monday. Hope he figures out my issues. :( Just want my life back.

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
    5/9/2011 new MRI
    5/15/2011 going to a vascular surgeon to
    check out new symptoms Sad
    Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
    tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery
  • I'm sorry to hear that you are having such terrible spasms. My spasms haven't gotten better. In fact, the knots are so bad that I'm starting to get the symptoms that I had prior to surgery. The dizziness is back and I know that it's a result of tight muscles. My NS looked at my x-ray and said that everything looked good. What is causing the spasms to stay and not get better? I'm doing trigger point massage everyday and the TENS unit. Also applying heat with temporary relief.

Good luck with the vascular surgeon! Let us know what he says. I, too, want my life back. :S
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • russdrrussd Posts: 15
    edited 07/25/2013 - 5:38 AM
    Just wondering if anyone can update on how they are doing with their recovery on this post? I'm dealing with muscle spasms too.....about 6 1/2 months post op right now.
  • advertisement
  • I had ACDF surgery on 3/11/13. My surgeon did not prescribe a neck brace or PT, but he has prescribed pain meds as needed and muscle relaxers.

Originally, I was told that the surgery would be a 6-8 week recovery, but, as many op the posts on this forum have stated, it's been a bit longer than that.

I would say that by June 1, I was basically healed. I could do regular activities without pain in my neck/arm. I do have kind of a sharp pain in my right, lower shoulder blade. The doctor said this is muscular and will dissipate with time. Some days I am very aware of it- like a stabbing pain, but other days it's just kind of an ache.

Muscle relaxers work best for this pain. I like Soma but it really knocks me out, so I save that for night time. I also have Meloxicam which I can take during the day if it gets too bad.

Two things I did that I had NO business doing, and ended up paying for were-

#1. The first week of June I rode in a go cart with my niece. The track was very twisty and bumpy. She is eight and begged me to take her. Bad idea! Shoulders and neck were on fire for about three days. So, lesson learned: be mindful of the phrase "normal activity."

#2. Two months after my surgery I got a massage, thinking it would help. Nope. It was horrible and it took me a week to recover from my otherwise relaxing spa experience. I have heard people use the term "medical massage" on this board. That sounds like a massage from someone who is trained in dealing with underlying medical issues- not from someone in a strip mall. After my experience, I don't know if I will ever get a "regular" massage again.

At this point, I am glad I had the surgery. The issues I had before- left arm pain and weakness, finger tingling, neck pain and tenseness are gone. Outside of the shoulder blade pain I described above, all is good.

Best of luck to you!
    3/11/13 successful ACDF
    7/13 inconclusive discogram
    Currently in PT for lumbar pain
  • Had my surgery on Friday. So far ok. Back spasms to be expected along with sore throat. On muscle relaxers. Not use to be home. Walls closing in on me. Do not feel the pain or tingling down left arm so far so good! Staying positive.
    Ronetta Stoked
  • Oliver11OOliver11 Posts: 1
    edited 09/04/2017 - 2:00 AM

Hello-

I am new to the whole blog thing, 8 weeks S/P C3-4 ACDF (option for three level fusion was considered). I find it fascinating that these discussions have been some of the biggest help/support I have seen- and I am a physician surrounded by other physicians. It is reassuring to know that severe pain from overdoing it is not uncommon, as I tend to get quite anxious which worsens my pain. Preventing the spasm with regular medication seems to be the key- versus wearing a hard collar and doing absolutely nothing, and staying horizontal 24/7. I am resistant to taking hard meds, but have had to give in. Best is lorazepam (which I still resist), and one oxycodone later in afternoon. I am back to work part time. I have Skelaxin and am not sure it helps that much.

My surgeon and his PA's are not hand holders, and I find that  everyone thinks I already know stuff. Nope. This has thrown me for a loop.

The TENS unit seems to be a possibility for me to consider. My neck has 4 hours of good time each day, then it's all downhill from there.

I'm sure I have done too much as I am quite driven and impatient, and used to being active. I do acupuncture and am planning  craniosacral massage. I used to have a lot of manual therapy.

Support and reassurance are such a key factor in any healing process- studies have shown that even PTSD is less common if there is initial support immediately after trauma. Not sure why these surgeons aren't getting that piece. So I finally get the blog thing. But would like to be normal again someday- 

• LizLiz Posts: 9,745

This is a very old discussion I am closing it

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.