Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

l4-l5-s1 surgery

Comments

• Welcome to Spine Health. :)))

I hope your last surgery will give you the pain relief that you need, especially after the other surgeries not helping. Nothing worked for me until I had the fusion in 09, and now I can most of what I want.

Hope the rest of your recovery goes well.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thinking about you and hoping your surgery went well.

When you're well enough, do post again and let us know how you are.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
  • advertisement
  • Just checking in with you. By now you have had your surgery, hopefully pain is under control, and pre op symptoms have settled down.

When you get home, take it easy, rest, heal and fuse. Wishing you all the best in your recovery.

Linea, welcome to SH. You have been through so much at such a young age. Good for you for making your health # 1 and fighting the system (WC)to get pain relief. Sounds like surgery # 3 is the charm. You will also be in my thoughts for continued recovery and solid fusion.God bless you too.

gentle >:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 130
    I am not a happy camper. The recovery is WAY WAY WAY worse than the problem ever was. I cant shower alone or get dressed. I have a 30 minute window at a time to be vertical, whether sitting or standing, before I have to be back in bed. Work is out of the question. Plus I have a battery pack in my back that feels like I have an IPAD in my skin grinding up against all my bones. My nerves are so tender right now. It is very difficult doing the most minimal things without feeling a sudden sharp shooting pain in my ankles or feet or knees or where ever. But the good thing is that I aint had a cigarrette in 9 days. I hope I quit this time. I just realized I want one NOW!! but none are here so it is ok.

I think I will be lucky to make it to my daughters high school graduation tomorrow. I have a wheel chair standing by but unless I can lie down, it aint gonna help much.

I am hoping that the pain from recovery is good enough for me to go back to work soon. I am going to be out of vacation and sick leave soon.

For anyone that is hurting now, if you think surgery is the only way to get your life back, be prepared for a BIG interruption of your life after surgery. It is now 8 days since my surgery and I cannot wipe myself (very good) or shower on my own or cook for myself or put on my socks and shoes or eat sitting up. Everything is such an effort now. I am sweating as I type this because it is HARD work. I dont have a laptop or a smart phone that can do any of this so I have to log into my computer and sit here and try to make it thru this without passing out or falling over.

Thanks everyone for all the support and kind words and when I know more or feel better, I will write more. Until then, this posting is gonna cost me in a big way... 1 hr nap!! laters y'all.

• I'm so glad to see you are getting up and around at least. I am sure you're pushing yourself to get better, just don't push too hard. Stay in touch!
  • advertisement
  • wow,no surgey is ever fun you had alot of work done.take it easy,which i am sure you are.try to stay positive,its only been a week.good for you for not smoking,it is not worth it,you will heal faster if you do not smoke,keeps the inflamation down,and your bones will heal faster.i am surprised they even did the surgey while you were smoking,my surgeon what do mine untill i quit smoking for 30 days.i am not a happy right now either,its hard.so you went 9 days already keep going.i wish you the best of luck.keeps us posted when you feel better,dont over do it.my prayers are with you and your family.
  • It is never easy, and I have been thru most of the procedures you have. I don't have a rod, I have cages and screws and bolts. I am good at growing bone thankfully. It is a long recovery but it does get better as time goes by. You have to be patient and that is a very hard thing. We just want to feel better. I have had 3 fusions in 4 years and am fused L1 to S1. Still recovering from the last fusion which was march 28. Good luck. You have a lot of friends here.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi Armelind

As others have said, you're VERY early into your recovery. You've had a very big surgery which takes a lot out of you and it takes a long time to start to feel normal again. It took me 6 months and it took another 6 months for the fusion to feel stronger. It's natural to be frustrated when you can't do the things you did pre-surgery. There's a lot of bone to grow.

What pain control meds are you on? You may need to speak with your doctor and get them changed or increased. Is that an SCS unit you have to help with pain control? With the meds, you need to take them on time, even during the night. You may want to set the alarm on your clock to remind you when the next dose is due. It's important to keep ahead of the pain.

Excellent that you've been able to keep off the cigarettes, and I'd encourage you to keep off them, otherwise they could affect the fusing process.

Showering and getting dressed is very hard in the early part of recovery. Did you buy/hire a grabber? A dressing stick is also a big help and not expensive.

It takes total commitment for many months to recover and perhaps your surgeon was overly optimistic?? Mine was a bit that way and didn't give me any instructions for recovery. It was members of Spine-Health, directly or indirectly, who let me know what to expect and how to cope, and for that I'm very grateful.

Do observe the bending-lifting-twisting restrictions until your doctor gives you the ok to do more. If you try to do too much, your back will let you know and then you're likely to have a big pain flare.

As the back adjusts to it's new position, you may feel aches and pains in other parts of your body. They generally settle down in time.

Initially, I couldn't sit for more than 15 minutes at a time nor stand for too long. It was resting and lots of short walks around the house and patio. It was a few weeks before I went for a walk down the road, and I was exhausted.

Even though you'll be out of sick and vacation leave soon, don't be tempted to go back to work too soon, unless you're in dire straits. You may want to consider going back part time. Once you go back to work, it will take a lot out of you initially.

With the computer, one of our members recommended putting a phone book or two under the keyboard and standing for a short time, and it worked for me.

Is there someone who can cook meals for you? You may be able to buy pre-packaged meals. I had a domestic service come in once a week to clean the house and do the washing for a few months. Do you have friends/family who can help you with this?

I didn't drive until about 6 weeks out and it was such freedom.

I'm thinking that you didn't get to your daughter's graduation?? I had to miss my mother-in-law's funeral because I wasn't well enough at the time. but I said a prayer and reminisced over special memories at the exact time of the service.

Please don't be discouraged or have high expectations during these early days. Be determined to do everything you can to get well again.

I hope you'll be feeling a little better soon.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
  • armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 130
    Am I a weirdo does it seem that no pain relievers actually work? They help to distract you but it dont really make the pain magically disappear. Tramadol actually worked for me after a car accident and then it stopped. Hydrocodone is the only thing that gives me any kind of help but not much.

While recovering from sugery in the hospital, I was put on the morphine thingy but I actually got no pain relief from it at all. I only got 'high' as soon as I realized how much I took and got no relief, I dramatically reduced the amount I took. I guess they took that I wasnt in pain any more. It wasnt the truth. I hurt everyday worse now than I did before the surgery. Knowing what I know today, I would have waited for it. But I will let you know in a week if I feel anything different. I aint grateful yet is what I am saying. It aint helping me yet.
  • Tramadol takes the edge off and I can't take the full dose or it makes me loupy. I can only take vicodin or oxycodone for a short time and definitely cannot work on them. Yes the pain is greatest right after the surgery but it slowly goes away and the original pain is relieved. Hang in there. It does get better. On my 3rd fusion I had to wait 8 weeks for me to feel like I wasn't going to die from pain. Still in pain but it is getting better. Hard to think of the big picture when you are hurting so much. But hang in there.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
advertisement