Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

New Members, Please read our Forum Rules before submitting your first discussion

l4-l5-s1 surgery

Comments

• armelindarmelind South TexasPosts: 130
    My dr basically fooled me. He told me that the day I get out of the hospital I will have no restrictions. SO I thought I would feel good within reason soon after. 1.5 weeks after, I am today just now able to take a shower alone and get dressed cept for tying my shoes.

I went to my kids graduation. I had a wheel chair and plenty of family to push me. We stayed for 45 minutes, just long enough to hear my daughters name, then we left. I was exhausted and sore when I got home. I was in so much pain last night and much of the morning. Now I get to take her out for Graduation dinner tonight. It is close by and a good place. hopefully it will be quick.

I am on a mixture of all kinds of pain meds and muscle relaxers and steroids. but the worst part of the whole thing is the battery pack that I have inside. I cant seem to get it to stop hurting. It feels like it is rubbing up against my spine so I have a follow up appointment Tuesday. They want me to use ice but I feel the metal gets too cold for me to keep ice on it.

Thats it for now.
    Does anyone else have one of the them bone growth stimulator battery packs in them? Is it nothing but a 'pain' to you too? All I feel is it poking and pinching me and never staying still. I cant sleep with it I cant stand with it or sit with it. I am VERY frustrated right now. I just had my first full night with NO sleep. The last 3 nights I have had about 2 or 3 hours of sleep. I am worn out and I feel like this was all a big mistake!! Any suggestions besides the obvious? I already called my surgeons office and 5:45 am but he wasnt there.... go figure!
  • advertisement
    everyday i have more stamina and more freedom. still i am reluctant to stop all these meds because i feel the pain when i try ti cut doses in half. i am hoping by the end of this week i can get off some meds or cut them down. i am working extra hard to get things done. no one else can do my chores so i have to do what i can without hurting myself. i am hoping in 2 weeks i will feel semi normal.

what do you think? 3 weeks after my surgery i should be fine right?

https://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r315/armelind313/2weeksofscarification.jpg
  • Hi Armelind

Your scar looks so much better now. You've still got a LOT of healing to do inside, and it's not worth trying to rush things because bone takes a LONG time to grow and heal. If you try to rush things, there's a possibility that you could injure yourself and you won't be happy with your surgery.

I was on my own with two large dogs during recovery and there were certain jobs that I just had to do, but what I knew I couldn't do, it didn't get done because I wasn't going to risk injuring myself. This was my time to get well again so that I could enjoy life, and today I can do most things, but it took a lot of patience.

Keep taking your pain meds as prescribed. The doctor has given you what he thinks you'll need. One heals much better when pain is controlled.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Three weeks after surgery is still soon. Keep on the pain meds as Trish said, you heal faster when you are not in pain. I had to do a lot of things I shouldn't have because I live alone and there is only so much time people are there to help. I know I overdid on my first 2 fusions. Give your body time to heal. It is a big surgery and takes a long long time for full recovery. Set small goals for yourself so you are not disappointed. Keep up the great attitude and keep us posted.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • advertisement
    So Many muscles were cut, so much of my energy was drained away. I only do what I can comfortably. Too bad most of it doesnt pertain to housework. I am looking forward to getting out of bed with out a grimace on my face. I am looking forward to no numbness or shooting pains due to my neural damage to my legs. So Far I can sleep again but I wake up to terrible pains. Thanks for the kind words. Everyday is a challenge and another moountain to climb. But every day besides today has been positive for me. I just dont want to sleep 17 hrs a day which I think I am capable of doing. I hurt most when I get out of bed.

Aaron

L4-5-S1 lumbar laminectomy
    discectomy
    arthrodesis
    2 cages, hardware
    and fusion with
    bone growth stimulator

• Yes, every day is a challenge. I hate the thought of how many muscles were cut and stretched. I hate the scar tissue that bulges out. I asked the surgeon to do some liposuction when I had my 3rd fusion!! Transitioning from bed to upright is also painful for me. Once I have a pain pill and start moving I am ok. I sleep with a wedge under my knees to take the pressure off my back. It works well. Its such a long slow process. I just think of the little progress I have made from getting out of the hospital to now. Its isn't much but it is progress. Hang in there and keep my posted on how you are doing.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi Aaron

You will get to the top of that mountain. Recovery is boring and tedious and it's rotten feeling drained all the time. Some days you think that the end will never come, but when it does, it's such a joy.

Getting out of bed is hard - were you shown how to "log roll"? I still do it now.

Keep up the small amounts of walking around the house and then back to bed or the recliner. For the first few weeks, I couldn't cope with the recliner. Use lots of pillows to support your back.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Hi Armilind
    I hope that today finds you well and healing. I agree whole-heartedly with all the great folks who are saying you are very early in the process and need to take time and your meds to care for yourself and let the body heal.
    I have had a crazy year with 2 surgeries. In Jan a cervical fusion with instrumentation and donor bone and in May I had a TLIF on L4-5. I had postponed caring for myself far too long and finally had no options left.
    No matter what the doc said I was sure that I could get better quicker than they said. I was wrong and had to realize the advice given should be followed. I had complications with both surgeries and extended stays in the hospital. This last one had me in for 11 days. It was tough to get a handle on the meds and scheduling, but I found out the hard way to make sure I dont' miss a dose.
    I wish for you a safe and healthy recovery. Take good care of yourself!
    Bonnie
    I understand what you are saying. But then again, I wont succeed if I dont try first. My last Dr appointment, my doc said I was doing way too much. Even the fact I was working was a no-no. LOL He wouldnt agree to pay my bills so that is a non-negotiable situation. But then again, I am just now starting to feel great. I am on the right meds now and everyday I can do something I couldnt do the day before. I am still waiting to be able to put on my socks without grunting!! My legs are very weak and my back is virtually inflexible. But I can sleep the whole night through now.
    I am just now getting to the point that I dont think my surgeon is a quack. But that still remains to be seen ha ha.

Thanks for the encouragement and I would like to say to anyone else. Dont go through this unless it is a last resort. And be sure to FULLY UNDERSTAND what your doctor is planning to do. IT HURTS and it is WORSE than the condition before....at least in my case. There is no chance I would ever do it again.
advertisement