Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

An Officer and a Gentlemen

Aviatrix36440Aviatrix36440 Posts: 5,740
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Lighten and Brighten
Rofla... Flash back mode 101! Here I am watching on Lifetime "An Officer and a Gentleman", and chuckling with flashbacks... They are in the water survival training, and boy do I remember doing that every 3 years. I actually loved the airplane slam dunk training and extraction/escape. One year I had a bit of a freak out as my seatbelt (5 point harness) actually jammed in my flight suit! Had a hell of a time getting out on that one. Yes, I did attack the rescue swimmer - survival instinct. Once the "airplane" is upsidown, they can't bring it up if you are in the seat!! I hated when we had to do group (8 of us) in the back for the helicopter (dunker) one (I got squished by a freaked out agent once, almost drowned!).

I love this part of the movie for several reasons. Again, I loved going through the airplane "crash" recovery portion and egress of the training, and it brings back good memories of training we had to do, but enveloped the training as a group. I have seen this training save several of our guys over the years - so I guess that is another "warm and fuzzy" feeling there too! Thanks for listening, just wanted to share. :)

Brenda
PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
advertisement

Comments

• That's a great part of the movie and rather nerve racking wondering how I would handle that. Good to hear of your experience through it. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Hi; and i can definitly relate to your flashbacks!
    Tho i was in the Marine Corps from 1974 to 1980, i can remember alot of what i went thru like it was yesterday.
    There were good times and not-so-good, but i would do it all over again.

Our time in the military, was an experience that was unforgettable, and life changing.

Also i'll admit when the star spangled banner,and god bless america are song before sporting events i still get tears in my eyes.

Proud of my service, and proud to be an American.
  • advertisement
  • Charry,

I was 28 the first time I went through "dunker" training. We did the airplane and the helicopter (on An Officer and a Gentleman they did just the airplane) dunker, then survival swimming and raft and rescue techniques. I like the airplane part the best as you are solo. Just you and the contraption slamming into the water! (G)

We would do 3 dunks visual, and 3 blindfolded, so it was interesting, and for the most part had recurrent training every 3 years. We did ours with the Navy trainers in Jacksonville, Florida. Puuurrrdy cool! It's funny as I've seen this movie a "mazillion" times, but for some reason last night, all the memories came flying back! :)

You haven't swum until you've swam in full flight suit, boots, helmet and gear! (G) Quit treading water, and I would sink but fast! Lol!!

The other happy chuckle too is the altitude chamber. Adults doing "Paddy cakes" and looking like idiots! Only did the chamber 3 times, and only saw one person freak out. I know that saved my butt years later when I had an explosive decompression at 42,000 feet due to a frozen pressure line. At that altitude, the air "gets sucked" out of you! Weird feeling is an understatement. :)

Brenda
  • Like you, proud to be an American and too that I got the privilege to serve (Army here). My training listed above though wasn't in the Army, but with the Federal Government segment I was hired with after I got out. 90% of our fixed wing flying was over the ocean, and maybe 40% with the helicopters, so water survival and egress training was mandatory. My partner was funny in that he "hated" water and swimming. He was scary to watch in the dunker - he did good though.

Like you, if I were to go back in time, I don't think there is much I would change either. :)

Brenda
  • Affiliated, but LOVE that movie. Richard Gere & Debra Winger. Such a great love story!

V

Brenda, how are you feeling?

• advertisement
  • Although I'm Canadian we're so close and appreciate everyone who serves in the military for all Canadians and Americans. Since North America includes Canada I feel we have to be similar in our immigration and security laws to protect North America, both of our countries because we're bigger than any other country working together. Thanks to all our military personnel here. We salute you! Charry

PS A shout out to all who are in the world who are promoting peace and freedom for all in the United Nations.

DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Lol! No need to be prior military to LOVE that movie! (G) It just brought back some good and at times interesting memories for me!

A little tired today for some reason. I vacuumed the bedroom and my back screamed at me! It's not like I live in a mansion or anything close, but look out ladies, even a single room of vacuuming can be painful ju-ju beads! :)

I hope you're doing good today Virginia. No kids on my end, so just another day. If I remember right, you're a mom right? Happy Mothers day!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • Very good point there! Our countries have a lot of similarities for sure. And your right, regardless of which country, we "are" North America! :) I was in from 1979-1989, then a year later became a public servant for Uncle Sam!! No regrets. Thanks Charry!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
  • I have to vacuum my room right now because I see cobwebs. ewww. One room at a time and one day at a time we'll get it done.. Charry
  • Charry,

Lol!! I think what finishes me is all the bending to pick up cat toys, the hubbys boots and misc. stuff. Tie that to the fore and aft movement of our bodies trunk when we move the vacuum - game over! Brenda 0, Vacuum 1! (G)

Brenda
advertisement