Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Hip/Leg Pain since 3/15/11 Surgery

maryelleninnjmmaryelleninnj Posts: 101
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:53 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I am 8 weeks post op. Had a lumbar laminectomy and fusion, L3/L4, L4/L5. Recovery has been going well, and I expect to return to work in early June (three months recovery). In the last month or so I've been experiencing hip and leg pain in my right leg. It is painful to go up the stairs, and painful when I change my sleeping position. The pain goes all the way down my leg, but it is not severe pain. Standing and walking are only a little painful. Could this be referred pain from the surgical procedure? I mentioned to the surgeon last week at my followup visit, and he said that if it continues, he'll order me an x-ray.
advertisement

Comments

• Because your spine is now in a different position, sometimes we feel pain in other parts of the body which wasn't there before surgery. When I started walking down the street at about 6 weeks out, I too had hip and leg pain, but it eventually settled.

If the pain doesn't go away, then best to get an x-ray done.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • Thanks Trish. I saw the family doctor yesterday, and he ordered an xray. He thinks it may be bursitis, and referred me to an ortho if I want to check into it further.
  • advertisement
  • After trying 3 weeks or so of PT, the hip/leg pain improved about 75%. Since the cortisone injection yesterday, it is 95% better. This is the first time since my surgery that I've been totally pain free. Yay!
  • I thought the shot would help for a while. The pain is back when I walk. Is it worth it to get another shot if the first one didn't help for long? I'm icing my hip, taking ibuprofen, and avoiding going up steps. This has to go away before my big trip in five weeks.
  • The hip/thigh pain has been pretty bad for a couple of days now. Looks like I'm going to have to return to PT. My second shot is scheduled in about two weeks, about a week before our trip. Waiting for a callback from the doctor so we can reopen our original PT request. I'm taking Aleve, avoiding going up steps, icing my hip, not sleeping on that side.
  • advertisement
  • Had my second cortisone shot on a week ago. Still no relief. My whole hip, thigh, and buttock hurts. Walking is very painful, and I can't walk without limping. Taking ibuprofen, avoiding steps, icing my hip, not sleeping on that side. Hope this shot will start working soon.... My lower right side feels like one big cramp. Taking vacation next two weeks. Will probably have to go back to PT when I get back. Hope I can walk on this trip!
  • No relief whatsoever from the second cortisone shot. The physician assistant gave me an RX for Tramadol, and I'm going back to PT next week. Tramadol not helping much, so supplementing it with ibuprofen. Both the physician assistant and therapist think this is a combination of nerve pain and hip bursitis.

So I'm waiting to hear from the doctor, and he will probably order a test and tell me to make another appointment with him. It was not fun having this pain while on vacation. I was limping -- a lot.
  • Well, the doctor has not called back yet, but that's okay. The PT is helping, and I expect to go for another month, maybe longer, until the pain is gone.
  • If anyone else has had a lumbar fusion and developed hip bursitis during recovery, I would be interested in hearing from you.
  • The PT is working its magic. Feeling much less pain, able to walk without limping. Haven't felt this good in a whole year, at least. Will keep going to PT for a few more weeks probably. Hope I can get rid of this bursitis for good.
advertisement