Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

New surgery date

KimD592KKimD592 Posts: 435
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:53 AM in Chronic Pain
I pushed my surgery from the 8th to the 17th of June. My appt for the second opinion at UPenn is on the 8th, so I figure this gives me plenty of time to talk it over with my husband and make a decision. I'm still going for pre-admission testing today, that way it's done and overwith. My mom will be coming with me to the appt at UPenn. I'm nervous but anxious to see what this doctor has to say. My only question is this: what happens if the two doctors disagree? For instance, what if this new doctor doesn't think surgery is a good option? Or what if he suggests a different type of procedure? Do I go for a third opinion? I know I'm getting ahead of myself, I'm just curious as to what happens at that point.
advertisement

Comments

• and make sure that you are going to happy with the end result .bearing in mind that spinal surgey tend to require revision surgey as the years roll on and unlike other surgeries that you may have on other parts of your body ..some how backs don't seem to mend that well .another point to think over is that you are unlikely to ever get back to the point where you had no problems with you back via surgery .at best surgery should stabilise your spine and any pain relief is a bonus .make sure that you find an excellent consultant .over here you know that you have found a good one when you have to wait over a years to see them and then wait another year to get any treatment ..i know that you must be worrying like mad as you are posting like mad at the moment trying to get as much knowledge and experience from us old timers! i wish you well with what ever you decide just bear in mind that once you start you are on an uphill battle ..unless you are very lucky
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Kim,

Like Tony said, you get another opinion, or as many as you need to be sure. The big thing here is YOU have to be fully comfortable and confidant in your decision, and your surgeon. You are part of that surgical team.

I'm glad to see you were able to get your date moved. That will help take the pressure off of you in so far as making a 'snap' decision. I'm glad too that your mom is going with you. I've found that when I have an appointment with surgery on the table, if my hubby is with me, more is remembered! My ears close up or focus on key words, where as my hubby seems to hear all that the doctor says!

Brenda

PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • Kim...you are doing great. If you do get a conflicting opinion, you go for more. That happened to me so I visited 7 doctors in total (6 and 1 remote from eCleveland clinic). It was good because while it seemed 'overkill', it really helped my husband and I come to terms with the decision and the surgeon.

The best thing is you have a new surgery date which is fantastic b/c you have a plan.

• Kim...you are doing great. If you do get a conflicting opinion, you go for more. That happened to me so I visited 7 doctors in total (6 and 1 remote from eCleveland clinic). It was good because while it seemed 'overkill', it really helped my husband and I come to terms with the decision and the surgeon.

The best thing is you have a new surgery date which is fantastic b/c you have a plan.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.