Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

need a buddy

Comments

• Hi Frannie & welcome to SH :)

When I joined here I was in a very dark and probably dangerous place in my mind. I was grieving the loss of a life I knew I would never get back. But I did not see it as a grieving process.

The members here held my hand and walked me through those darks days & nights for a few months. I got a little stronger each day knowing that someone else understood me. REALLY understood me!!

Something that was suggested to me that really helped me was to make a list of everything I CAN do. The list showed me I still have options & choices in life. Plus it gave me a list to turn to when I knew I needed to do something anything but my depression would not allow my brain to reason.

The list had what some may call simple things on it, but for me these "simple" things have become my new normal :)

paint my finger nails, put a puzzle together, play games on PC, learn how to knit, sew, paint (by numbers for me lol )join a volunteer hotline (you work from home and take calls at hours you want), write letters/emails, write a book (hey if I can so can you), read a book, do word search, learn a new language. These were/are just some of the things that were on my list.
    I felt MUCH better seeing and knowing I still could DO something.

My list is now a new career path I am taking of designing websites.

I hope some of this is helpful to you in some way.

Please know I will be here for you and I really do care :hug:

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Wow, finally someone who has had more surgeries than me!! I am only up to 16. I have many of the same issues as you, I won't list it all because it will be at the end. But I have had 3 fusions in 4 years and am fused L1 to S1. Not much fun. I was a super active person before and it took 2 years to get back to where I could do most of the things I did before and then I had another fusion. This time much slower getting back and my hardest recovery yet. I am on anti-depressants and they help a little. I don't like the side effects so take the minimum I can. I know the feeling of loneliness can be overwhelming. Unless you have been thru this no one understands. There are many people here, we are like one big family and we are all your friends. It always helps to "talk" to someone.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • advertisement
  • Yeah, at this point, I think I could set up my own OR...our med histories sure are similar - but unfortunatley but what can you do? I was always pretty active too...grew up with horses, my kids were and still are very athletic..(in their 30's now) and I do miss the activities I used to enjoy...motorcycles, snow mobiling, canoeing, gardening (can't bend anymore to accomplish anything). Haven't really found any new hobbies that I enjoy..the ligament reconstruction in my right hand..well, it functions for small lightweight things only, and I brace it much of the time for pain...and as soon as my recent double fusion heals in my neck, I'll be back to see the hand dr for more suggestions on what to do....geez....
  • I can't believe how similar things are. My right thumb is fused and both thumbs have had the joint replaced so I could use them again. I am clumsy but at least they work and are pain free. I swim a lot and that really helps my back. And walk, which I always hated but when its all you can do it becomes more important. I got to the point I could ride my bike after the first 2 but have not gotten the ok after the most recent and that is probably a long ways off. I am able to work and thankfully have jobs that allow me to move around and not have to sit for long periods of times. Sitting kills me unless I am in my recliner. I like to read so read a lot in the recliner. Gardening is hard. I have to get on all fours on a pad to plant anything. Its painful but I trade the pain for the long term results in the garden. I have a hoe for weeds. You just adjust your lifestyle to what you can do and modify things when you need to.

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hi Frannie,
    Welcome! I can understand how hard it can be with a bad spine.....but I have had "only" 4 surgeries on the spine, plus a couple minor things here and there. It can be depressing, my neck is a mess now and I hate it. Still working now, but not sure what future holds. I do see the PA at neurosurgeon's office Friday---probably will have a myelogram shortly after (Im so used to how they do things there). Would be nice to have answers. But anyway, Frannie, welcome and hang in there! :-)

Charlie
  • advertisement
  • Wow, you have quite an assortment of fusions. I am curious is there any connection between the back and the neck??

Jani

• I do have degenerative disc. I did a lot of heavy work as a machinist for eight years, and admittedly didn't always work the smartest way. I have not done that type of work in about 10 years. It's hard to tell if it's any more of a connection than that---it just seems like I'm falling apart! It's not fun......very greatful for the support on here from people that get it!

Charlie
  • Hi Charlie,
    Thanks for the welcome...I see you know about bad spines-whichever end the're on! Four surgeries, and I read you do machining..that can be tough... Since my lumber area is shot, with hardly any discs left, I do find that if I have to stand, I need to keep shifting my weight back and forth..then the burning starts in the left lower back, and my left thigh goes numb... :(
    Do you have to stand alot at work, or can you sit when needed? And bending is a nightmare for me...can get on one knee istead sometimes. *$^@)_")@&
    Good luck with you appt with the PA, and you anticipated mylegram!
    Frannie
  • Hi,
    Read you note to Charlie...connection between back and neck..My lower back problems started in 1994, when I went to pick up an envelope off the floor at work -bam-2 herniated discs..Then another one in 1995 - same thing.. And last year, noticing that a disc was bulging in my neck, I went to the ortho...said I think we need an MRI to see what's happening here. With my history of discs, we decide to fuse/bone added from the front.. Recently, at one yr. checkup, we find that the union wasn't good. SO we just redid the fusions, front and back, with some plates and 7 screws to secure the damn thing. However, between 95 and now, the rest of my back is ok....( just more degeneration but there's nothing to be done for that )not touching the thorasic area as of yet..(I had other surgeries within that time, but nothing spinal...)
    I think it definately connected, but why not occur in a line...top to bottom,... Maybe the lumbar and cervical areas take the most pressure or weight or something like that..
    Hope you're having a good day..
    Frannie
  • I know what you mean about falling apart. My physical therapist told me years ago they don't make replacement parts anymore for my chassis. Thought that was a pretty good way to describe it!! Right now I am being held together with a lot of titanium.

Jani

advertisement