Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

I am 27 years old and diagnosed last year with Cervical Spinal Stenosis. Its Congenital.

tsingerttsinger Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Spinal Stenosis
Hi I am A 27 year old woman suffering with cervical spinal stenosis. I am way to young to have this disorder. And have never met anyone under 50 yrs old who has it. I would like to talk to some one young who has it. Its a very scary thing to have. I cant work, and in the last 10 months I have progressed greatly. How ever my mother has it and my grand father has it. My mother just had surgery for it. It took doctors years to figure out what was wrong. I dont understand why no one really knows much about this disorder. I would love some feed back or even to chat with someone young who is in my shoes.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm a 46 year old male and found out when I was 45 after a motorcycle wreck on 8/15/10 my dr said I was young to have stenosis. I had two surgeries so far and one more to come. For me numbness and fumbling around with my hands and feet. He said I had it before the trauma but I didn't notice it then. He said I was either born with a narrow spinal canal or progressed after many years. I know I'm older than you but the DR told me I had a spine of an 80 year old. It will get worse over time. Make sure you have a trusted neurologist or orthopedic DR. Both ar qualified but I would lean going with a neurologist DR due to the complex of the nerves and spinal cord. For me the pain is not the problem it's the function of my body that bothers me. Welcome to the forum it has given me comfort with my condition and talking with others.
  • howdy, welcome to spine health!! i am almost 49, and was diagnosed with stenosis at 39 in my neck, and now this year in my lumbar. stenosis can be caused by a lot of things. here is an article from here that might help.

https://www.spine-health.com/conditions/spinal-stenosis/what-spinal-stenosis

if you use the search box at the top of the web page, plug in "stenosis", and you will see articles about stenosis, causes, treatments etc.

brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • hi im 29 i just turned 29 on the 8th i thing i have quite a few more issues unless you didnt list everything but i is also congenital for me they said but i know of noone in my family i do know i was delivered with th doc using forceps wondering if that has anything to do with it my emai is farester28@verizon.net i dont sign on here very often - Ashley
  • Thank you! I find this forum extremely helpfull. I am sorry to hear about your situation. I didnt have an accident but I was born with the narrow spinal canal. Or so they tell me. I love motorcycles. Are you still able to ride? I was gonna buy one but am not sure yet if I will be able to drive it much.
  • I didnt not list all my issues. However I was delivered with forcepts as well and my mother and grandfather both have stenosis but did no have issues till there 50's .I will email you with the details thank you.
  • advertisement
  • I was born with a narrow canal but the trauma from the wreck accelerated the process. I don't ride anymore but I have on and off since I was a 9 years old. It seems every week someone dies in our area from a bike wreck. I was blessed to survive the wreck. But it did some damage, I had my spleen remove when it happened and now I have spinal problems. Not really a lot of pain but the nerve function is really what bothers me. Also my left shoulder is giving me issues. I hope all gets the help they need. God Bless.
  • I am 45 and have it. In 2009 I had ACDF surgery C4-C6 and my surgeon said it was one of the worst conditions he had seen and given my age too (I lost function of my right arm and the spasms was the worst). I was one that was lucky enough to be born with it too. I have DDD, arthritis and stenosis all in the neck. I had relief after the surgery even though I was still having nerve issues due to them being compressed but started having problems again. C6 is pressing into the spinal canal and C7 is breaking down. I have pain and lots of nerve issues, mainly in my left shoulder now but at times will run down both arms. I am just trying to hold off as long as possible before having surgery again and let him fix everything.
  • Hi, I am 35. I am recently diagnosed with congenital cervical spinal stenosis as well. My mother has it also and after seeing all that she has gone through, I am very frightened. I will see the neurologist next month. Besides neck pain and weakness in my limbs, I experience what I am fondly :( calling swimming. I feel as though I am walking on water and a general unsteadiness. I feel as though I cannot think straight either. Have you experienced this as well? You are the first person I have seen who is in a similar position as I am.
  • Hi I just read your message, I am 26 yr old female fashion designer just diagnosed with stenosis. I was previously diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, and facet disease, and went to so many doctors and tried everything accupuncture, massage, physical therapy, nerve blocks, radio frequency ablation. I have been in so much pain for 7 years... It started with my neck and it hurt a lot and I would crack it a lot. Then it was my neck and my head, the pain is chronic it felt like someone shot me in the back of the head. Every day it would get worse and worse. Now it is the most in my neck the entire neck and head-whole head, and has spread into the res of my body, shoulders, back, arms, hands, fingers legs everything. It is the most terrible pain I could ever imagine and it is all the time. I went to another dr. today. I showed him slides from 5 yrs ago of my cervical spine (neck area) he said within 5 mins, degenerative disc disease and stenosis. I never got these treated and now they are so immensely bad. I am probably going to need surgery. I am petite like 5'1 and skinny, I had lower back problems in highschool because I played a lot of sports and was very active but they healed. This is just too much for me, it is ruining my life. I would love to hear your story, because like you, I feel much too young to have this, and I am really scared.
  • Hi I just read your message, I am 26 yr old female fashion designer just diagnosed with stenosis. I was previously diagnosed with degenerative disc disease, and facet disease, and went to so many doctors and tried everything accupuncture, massage, physical therapy, nerve blocks, radio frequency ablation. I have been in so much pain for 7 years... It started with my neck and it hurt a lot and I would crack it a lot. Then it was my neck and my head, the pain is chronic it felt like someone shot me in the back of the head. Every day it would get worse and worse. Now it is the most in my neck the entire neck and head-whole head, and has spread into the res of my body, shoulders, back, arms, hands, fingers legs everything. It is the most terrible pain I could ever imagine and it is all the time. I went to another dr. today. I showed him slides from 5 yrs ago of my cervical spine (neck area) he said within 5 mins, degenerative disc disease and stenosis. I never got these treated and now they are so immensely bad. I am probably going to need surgery. I am petite like 5'1 and skinny, I had lower back problems in highschool because I played a lot of sports and was very active but they healed. This is just too much for me, it is ruining my life. I would love to hear your story, because like you, I feel much too young to have this, and I am really scared.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.