Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Advice needed. :) Cerviical C6=C7

PixiePPixie Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Glad to have found the site! Could anyone please give me an idea what i do now as i don't know where to go from here.

I'm 39yrs old and i have Lower calcification of my lower back L5 L6 and S1, had this now for 18yrs, i have an indentation in my shine and now noticed a new one in my thigh.

But recently problems have happened in my neck, down my right arm, etc Bulge at the c6-c7 for the last six yrs :(
I am under the care of a pain clinic, but they can only look at one problem at a time, so they are looking at my neck and right arm pain. My first appointment they sent me for an Cervical epidural, Had the Epidural, and straight away my neck swelled up, just my luck, muscle spasms.

Anyway since the Epidural i have been in so much pain down my left hand side, left arm pain and a burning sensation that travels from my shoulder blade to over and under the armpit, that my GP now has me on Morphine. I am already on Pregabilin and Zanaflex. I went for my right arm pain, but have come back with Left arm pain, how is this possible?

Went for an appointment at the pain clinic, and met the most patronizing Doctor you could meet. He suddenly started pointing and saying that it had nothing to do with the Epidural, i never said it did. Mri was requested. Appointment was completely wasted. I was so upset that i asked my GP to request that i NEVER get the idiot again, he agreed that it had been a waste of valuable time.
Anyway was sent for an MRI.

My problem at the mo is i got a phone call saying from a nurse "I have been told to tell you, you have Degenerative Disk disease, but nothing that could be caused by the Cervical Epidural".

What the ?????. :( :( What has that got to do with telling me what is causing all the pain, for god sake I'm on Morphine! DDD, could mean anything or nothing, good get out clause. All DR was bothered about was, nothing was caused by him giving me the Epidural.

I really need advice here guys! How do i go about getting this MRI properly read. I'm in the UK. How do i get a copy, and where do i go from here. You all know how how hard it can be to get a diagnosis, but i have been at this for 24yrs. My muscles are always in spasm, no matter what i do, i keep getting the run around, but no answer. All i want is to know why? I'm at my wits end now. The pain i am in is severe and am using Oramorph on top now too for the break through pain.

I'm so close to just giving up the fight, and being the vegetable they want me to be, with no life! I don't know where to start or if i have the energy too.
Please, advice needed. :) trying to smile honest, even tho the phone call was just 15mins ago, and it really pushed a knife through my heart. Rant over. Thanks.

advertisement

Comments

• :( Oh my this is aweful if you red my thread skully313 my condition is similar to what you have. Ill pray for you ok, Sincerely Skully313
  • Thanks Skully, i read your post, and looks like you have had a tough time off it too. Hope you get your answers.

Found out through research that, maybe going through the Data Protection Act and requesting my scans would work. This way will cost me.
    The other alternative is too get the MRI off the idiot doctor, and getting a buddy in the P Clinic to read the Mri. But frankly can not see getting a good read of the scan.

In a dilemma of where to go and what to do?

This could take months! Any faster way anyone knows off please let me know. Thanks.
  • advertisement
  • Sorry to hear all what's going on and that Dr. upsetting you. You can get your MRI CD disc from the Radiology Dept. of the hospital where you had it done. Just call them first then you need to pick it up usually the next day. Your Primary Dr. can also get a copy of the report faxed to him released by the hospital even though he didn't order the test, he just needs your signature for a release form.

If your arm was numb before you had the injection the nerve may be waking up and the inflammation is going down hopefully and steroids in the injection take awhile to get the inflammation down. So keep icing your neck where you had the injection and hopefully you get some relief.

I also have DDD in my neck at C6-C7 and nerve impinging and get left elbow pain and hand weakness and found some relief from manual gentle traction from a Physiotherapist. I also take Lyrica for the nerve pain. I hope you will get a referral for an Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon and bring your copy of the MRI with you to that appointment when your Dr. gives you the referral or to a Neurologist because of your sciatica in your arm. Best wishes. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN

• I am in the UK too.
    I think if you ask to be referred to another doctor, they can request your MRI scan, or even be able to view it anyway on the computer.

You may have to wait for a long time though.
    You might be able to get your GP to request the MRI disc as Charry suggested.

Let us know how things turn out so we can all learn how to deal with this problem.

Hope it won't be long before you meet up with a doctor who will listen to you and be able to help you.:-)

• Had c6-c7 disc herniation, had surgery through back of neck 5/31 to shave disc that was compressing nerve and causing upper chest, upper back, shoulder, tricep, arm pain and finger numbness. Was free from that pain immediately after surgery for 17 days and woke up with the pain back and weird tingling everywhere. Neuro says it's normal and nerves are fussy and it could take up to 6 months for it to simmer down, sucks, totally. I was told I risked permanant nerve damage without the surgery because I had pain from 4/20/11 to 5/25/11 that came and went but from 5/25/11 until 5/31/11 it was constant 24/7 pain. I'm only 41, very active, worked out 5 days a week etc... I just started walking on treadmill last night, was in alot of pain after 20 mins at no incline, 2mph....used to do 45 mins at 15 incline (maxed) 4mph before this herniation. I am not doing anymore surgery, looking to start PT and fight the pain, I am on percicet and motrin, cut out flexeral, valuim and cut percocet from 12 pills a day to 4. Just don't be alarmed after surgery if pain is completely gone and comes back 7-30 days post surgery, no one warned me of that and also you may get weird tingling or twitches everywhere (legs etc) I guess it is just the nerves realizing they suffered a trauma and reacting, also if they go in through back of your neck you may have muscle spasms as well. Sorry, I wish I had better advice, just take it one day at a time, and don't go crazy if you are pain free right after surgery doing more than you should, rest & heal
  • advertisement
  • day after surgery
    ">image

uploaded with imageshack.us
  • 3 weeks post op
    ">image

uploaded with imageshack.us
  • charry said:
    Sorry to hear all what's going on and that Dr. upsetting you. You can get your MRI CD disc from the Radiology Dept. of the hospital where you had it done. Just call them first then you need to pick it up usually the next day. Your Primary Dr. can also get a copy of the report faxed to him released by the hospital even though he didn't order the test, he just needs your signature for a release form.

If your arm was numb before you had the injection the nerve may be waking up and the inflammation is going down hopefully and steroids in the injection take awhile to get the inflammation down. So keep icing your neck where you had the injection and hopefully you get some relief.

I also have DDD in my neck at C6-C7 and nerve impinging and get left elbow pain and hand weakness and found some relief from manual gentle traction from a Physiotherapist. I also take Lyrica for the nerve pain. I hope you will get a referral for an Orthopedic Surgeon or Neurosurgeon and bring your copy of the MRI with you to that appointment when your Dr. gives you the referral or to a Neurologist because of your sciatica in your arm. Best wishes. Charry
    Thanks Charry, not been able to reply before now due to pain. You are right i can get my Mri from the Radiology Dep, but i have to request it through the Data Protection Act, to be able to get it. As i phoned Radio Dep, to see if i could get it, and they said i had to request it through the DPA, which can take months here in the uk. So got the forms to fill out, this costs me.

My Gp has now refereed me to the Neurologist, now waiting for that appointment (will not have my copy of the MRI in time) So means will this appoin, be a waste of time if they cant see the whole picture? But in the meantime have an appoin, to go back to the pain clinic. My only dilemma with this is that my care plan at the PC has been now mucked up with the last written report i.e All the report says is DDD. My problem is getting further help now with my pain.

As for after the Epidural, and waiting for it to go down, it has been months now. I am in more pain, than before. Thank you Charry for your advice, it has helped me deal with things again. And have decided to fight for the right to get answers to my pain problem once again. Thank you for listening. :)
  • jellyhall said:

I am in the UK too.
    I think if you ask to be referred to another doctor, they can request your MRI scan, or even be able to view it anyway on the computer.

You may have to wait for a long time though.
    You might be able to get your GP to request the MRI disc as Charry suggested.

Let us know how things turn out so we can all learn how to deal with this problem.

Hope it won't be long before you meet up with a doctor who will listen to you and be able to help you.:-)

Hi
    Thanks for answering. Your right i can request it to be viewed by another Dr, but it has to be at the same Pain Clinic. My worry is whether they will read it without being biased after reading their colleges report. As have found in the past some do not want to tread on any toes.

Have an appointment with the GP today to see if he can request the Mri written report and Mri Scan. Instead of me waiting months. he can, lol. Might be quicker me doing it, i don't know yet. Its finding the energy to do all this that is taking it out of me.
    Some days i don't know who i am never mind having to think and talk to get this mess sorted out. I tell you they don't make it easy at times.

If only they would use common sense. For instance so far at the PC i have seen a different DR every time i have gone. So each time i have to repeat from the beginning, surely it makes sense to just see the one who has met and already knows what is going on. Anyway will keep you up to-date if i get anywhere, and thanks. :)
  • Debraelizabeth said:
    Had c6-c7 disc herniation, had surgery through back of neck 5/31 to shave disc that was compressing nerve and causing upper chest, upper back, shoulder, tricep, arm pain and finger numbness. Was free from that pain immediately after surgery for 17 days and woke up with the pain back and weird tingling everywhere. Neuro says it's normal and nerves are fussy and it could take up to 6 months for it to simmer down, sucks, totally. I was told I risked permanant nerve damage without the surgery because I had pain from 4/20/11 to 5/25/11 that came and went but from 5/25/11 until 5/31/11 it was constant 24/7 pain. I'm only 41, very active, worked out 5 days a week etc... I just started walking on treadmill last night, was in alot of pain after 20 mins at no incline, 2mph....used to do 45 mins at 15 incline (maxed) 4mph before this herniation. I am not doing anymore surgery, looking to start PT and fight the pain, I am on percicet and motrin, cut out flexeral, valuim and cut percocet from 12 pills a day to 4. Just don't be alarmed after surgery if pain is completely gone and comes back 7-30 days post surgery, no one warned me of that and also you may get weird tingling or twitches everywhere (legs etc) I guess it is just the nerves realizing they suffered a trauma and reacting, also if they go in through back of your neck you may have muscle spasms as well. Sorry, I wish I had better advice, just take it one day at a time, and don't go crazy if you are pain free right after surgery doing more than you should, rest & heal
    This is why i don't want to have the surgery when and if they offer it to me, as you have. I just want to find out what is going on and my results of an MRI, as i know from yours and others it is a huge trauma to put the body through and in the end it might or might not work. In my opinion a MRI is not enough of a diagnostic tool to say where all the problems are. For instance i have left arm pain, burning, and upper chest pain like yourself etc. This they have not been able to tell me where it is coming from. They don't know if it is from my bulging disk or not. They just assume or guess it is. So if i had the surgery would it solve the problem?

Once again i am outraged that they did not tell you about the post-op pain beforehand. Surprise!!, as if you needed that on top of trying to recover. I wish that they could listen to the patients more and treat us with a bit of respect sometimes and tell us all for a change. I hope this works out for you, like you i was on Diazepam(first marketed as valium). Now it has gone to Morphine MST. And still no-one is offering me surgery or an answer to what i have properly.

I hope that you recover and you get to be pain free, my thoughts will be with you and if you need a chat let me know. Thanks for sharing your experience with me, and giving me a heads up on what to expect if i do in the end decide to go for surgery. Thanks. :)
advertisement