Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

l5s1 fusion

big_wermbbig_werm Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Lower Back Pain
hi,im new here and just 6 days past my l5s1 plif(posterior lumbar interbody fusion) surgery.My pain before surgery was intense i couldn't walk without the use of a cane and have been on pain killers for several years,i can already tell a big difference in my lower back just 6 days later so far my only pain i notice is from the surgery my leg pain and numbness is gone.Im also able to stand up straight and walk without my cane which i haven't been able to do for several years(feels differnet but good)im only 35 and have lived with a bad back for 15years my back was injured in a car accident when i was in my early teens,my only regret is that i didnt have this surgery done a long time ago
advertisement

Comments

• wanted to welcome you here to spine-health!

You sound like you are doing great only 6 days out. This is very encouraging to myself and others who are currently awaiting surgery.

Did you try lots of other treatment before you decided on surgery? You said that you wished you had done it earlier, was surgery recomended to you early on?
    You are now on your way to a brand new life! Wishing you all the best.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I had L5/S1 fused the end of march. I am so happy to hear that you are doing so well. I am having some problems but have had 2 other fusions and the recovery with them has been much smoother and faster than this one. I am glad I had them all done now that it is over!!

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.
    L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • advertisement
  • ouch2 said:
    wanted to welcome you here to spine-health!

You sound like you are doing great only 6 days out. This is very encouraging to myself and others who are currently awaiting surgery.

Did you try lots of other treatment before you decided on surgery? You said that you wished you had done it earlier, was surgery recomended to you early on?
    You are now on your way to a brand new life! Wishing you all the best.

>:D< Karen
    hi ouch2,im glade i can give you some encouragment,i just wish i had found this forum before my surgery as i needed encouragemnt rather bad i almost didnt go threw with it,but my friends and family helped me get past it. i did have some physical therapy off and on for 3 years which didnt help,i also went to a chiropractor which only made my pain worse and several different kinds of meds and they didnt work either.no surgery wasnt reccomeded early on i just quite going to the doctor as i had given up hope on being pain free untill i couldnt feel my legs then i decided it was time to go back this time i went to a different doctor which she sent me to a very good surgeon right away went threw several x-rays and mri's which didnt show much then i had a discogram done and that showed exactly were the problem was,the first 48 hours after surgery was the hardest but the hospital kept me goin with some good pain managment. everyday i feel better and knowing that makes it a lot easier. i wish you all the best on your surgery and my prayers are with you.
  • Hi there ,wow awesome that you are doing so well & the benefits are so immediate.
    All the best for a 100 % recovery.
    Sorry to hear you didnt get the option sooner,by the sounds of things.
    Enjoy your new life .
  • Glad to read some positive feedback on your surgery. I am new to this forum as well and I am contemplating having surgery in the fall of this year. I meet with my surgeon on Sept. 6, that is when I will decide for sure what I plan on doing.

I will be having l5S1 fusion as well as plates and brackets. I herniated my disc in Feb of 2009 and have been living in pain since. Mostly sciatica pain. At this point I probably will be going through with the surgery. Just worried about the recovery time and taking the 3 - 4 months off work. The surgery is going to be 4 hours and that makes me nerouvs as well.

Take care and please keep me posted on your recovery progess.....Thanks
  • advertisement
  • hi big-werm

wow, you are doing tremendous and to gain so much benefit so early on, im so pleased for you. as a fellow l5/s1 fusion, it does feel good doesnt it when things go well.

Take things slowly, and i wish you a full recovery.

carol
    L5/s1 discectomy & decompression 2009
    ALIF l5/s1 2011
    Awaiting X-ray & consultant to see if fused, but experiencing a lot of pain again :( 2013
  • totter said:
    Glad to read some positive feedback on your surgery. I am new to this forum as well and I am contemplating having surgery in the fall of this year. I meet with my surgeon on Sept. 6, that is when I will decide for sure what I plan on doing.

I will be having l5S1 fusion as well as plates and brackets. I herniated my disc in Feb of 2009 and have been living in pain since. Mostly sciatica pain. At this point I probably will be going through with the surgery. Just worried about the recovery time and taking the 3 - 4 months off work. The surgery is going to be 4 hours and that makes me nerouvs as well.

Take care and please keep me posted on your recovery progess.....Thanks
    hi totter,i have pins and screws in mine as well,my surgery took about 4 and a half hours,for me the first 48 hours was the roughest but the pain managment made that go alot better. i know how you feel about being nervous i almsot didnt go threw with it but im soo glade that i did one thing that helps me get threw each day is knowing that the next day the pain will be some what less. i will keep you posted on my recovery and i wish you the best and my prayers are with you.
  • Congrats, Big Werm. I too am a success story but with a 4-level L3-,4,5 and S-1. There are alot of us out there but the problem is that success stories tend never to come back to tell their stories. Like my doctor says, "Success stories are out there living their lives not hanging out with a bunch of sick people in my office." And I guess the same thing holds true here. And that's too bad because people considering surgery need some positive reinforcement, especially when all they hear are horror stories about the failures. So, if you would, I know time is at a premium for all of us but it'd be great if you'd continue to visit here and update the readers as to your progress. I'm not a moderator or anything but after my surgery in July of last year, I committed to trying to help people who still suffer from the pain I used to for about 30 years. The various forums are filled with people considering surgery but have so many questions and the chat area has some really great people too who'd welcome you in a second. New members and "lurkers" sure could benefit by your experiences so again, I'm not a moderator and I hope he or she doesn't mind me asking but, like I said; there are so few success stories like us who return to tell our stories and people worried about surgery sure could stand some good stories. It's hard to beat advice from people who have "been-there-and-done-that".
  • I agree with jlames. We need to hear from everyone!! We can always learn more or can help someone else. =D>

Jani

Spinal stenosis, spondolysis, spondolythesis, L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion with instrumentation and bone graft from hip, L1/S1 fusion with replacement disc put in and a nice bolt from my spine to my pelvis; PT, accupuncture, prolotherapy, many cortisone injections, 4 rhizotomies. Currently on tramadol.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • for his fusion and he is doing really well. No pain and he is quite active. Went golfing with son on the weekend and tilled the garden today with no pain. He is working at keeping his weight down although he is not much overweight at all. And we are trying to keep walking as I really believe that that was the best exercise after his surgery. He is 67 in two weeks and never regrets the surgery. Glad to hear there are so many other success stories.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.