Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Medication and the DEA

advertisement

Comments

• There is good reason that the DEA was forced to get involved into the distribution of pain medicine. Simply google "florida pain clinic documentary"

What was going on there was absolutely insane thus giving a window of opportunity for the DEA to take things too far in other places where doctors legitimately and ethically prescribe medicine to those who are in need.

I can tell you before I had my back surgery, the doctor I was seeing was very rude about prescribing pain medicines to me because I was only 24 during the couple months before I had back surgery. He said everything to me just short of calling me a junkie. EVEN with my MRI scans in his hand.
  • just that -- drug enforcement agency. They are supposed to be watching to make sure things are not overprescribed or that people are not trying to skirt the rules. I have a DEA agreement signed with my doctor (perhaps you should ask your doc about one). It simply states that he will provide me with prescriptions for my chronic pain condition, as long as I follow some basic rules: 1) my internist is the only doctor allowed to prescribe pain meds for me, 2) I may fill that prescription at only one drug store. In the nearly three years I've needed these meds, this has never caused me a problem. Too many people doctor shop -- they get as many prescriptions as they can from several doctors. They take those prescriptions to various drug stores and get them filled, so they have a huge supply they can sell on the street. Obviously, these are not the people in pain - they are criminals trying to make an illegal buck. The DEA is there to help make sure these people don't mess things up for those of us who really need the drugs. If you relax your attitude and follow the rules, you generally have a much easier time.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • advertisement
  • Here we have a good debate going on with people from each side of the fence. This is a good thing. I agree there are people who abuse what pain med is for. That is a fact. But remember some of the most horrible things in this world have been done for what seemed a good Idea. It take one junky and one over zealouse DEA agent to screw things up for real people in real pain. I just happen to be on one side of the fence on this topic.
    Love to see such a great debate and everyone has stated the point very friendly.
  • I was going to stop and watch. But here is a thought I wonder how many DR. the DEA employee's to go over the scripts that are written HMMMM.... would love an answer to that. I know we all hate when a none DR. at an insurance company tells us we don't need that med. or test. So not sure if it's the same with the DEA I just wonder?
  • I was going to stay out of this thread, but I couldn't. I had to retire a little over a year ago from "a" Federal agency that enforces "Title 21" - DEA Criminal code. My primary job was "narcotics interdiction and smuggling."

The FDA as you know places recommendations and restrictions on how much of a particular drug a person can safely take. They also place regulations on what is safe, what needs to be pulled, and what classifications a particular drug needs to be in.

The DEA and other Federal agencies then enforce those rules. This all also depends on the weight of the offense as for who has jurisdiction. The DEA for instance doesn't go after petty criminals. Those that get a month of pills and sells them - states go after them. There wouldn't be enough agents in the whole world to go after every 'little' case that the states (yes the STATES) need to go after.

The DEA does NOT tell doctors what to prescribe, or how much. For the DEA to go after a particular doctor, they have to be pretty much to the pain (pill mills) clinic abuse levels like we've seen down here in Florida. Another flag is if the doctors are routinely exceeding FDA <-- FDA guidelines, not DEA guidelines. If said activity goes over the state line (even though the weight was a state offense) it becomes federal, and then they or other federal agencies with cross designation take the lead.<br />
    Did you know the Postal Inspectors can enforce some DEA criminal law? Yep, interstate smuggling and fraud by use of the postal system. So sitting here without knowing *what* laws the DEA does in fact enforce, and too not understanding that there are a lot of other entities that are part of the whole picture does a disservice to a very good and hardworking agency.

Walk a mile in the foot of a federal agent, and then you can tell me what they do or don't do when it comes to doing their job, or sticking their noses in "stuff that isn't their business" when in fact it is... That ranks up there with guys we went to arrest. "I know my rights.." Yeah, okay.

Ron, you covered this very well. :)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • DEA...As you can see, "drugs" is not the only item of interest under Title 21. The FDA conducts a lot of joint investigations and cases on many of these as well. The DEA has tons on their plates. So that farmer who is overdoing the steroids on his cattle might have problems with the FDA & DEA...

CHAPTER 1—ADULTERATED OR MISBRANDED FOODS OR DRUGS (§§ 1_to_5—26)
    CHAPTER 2—TEAS (§ 41_to_50)
    CHAPTER 3—FILLED MILK (§§ 61—64)
    CHAPTER 4—ANIMALS, MEATS, AND MEAT AND DAIRY PRODUCTS (§§ 71_to_92—149)
    CHAPTER 5—VIRUSES, SERUMS, TOXINS, ANTITOXINS, AND ANALOGOUS PRODUCTS (§§ 151—159)
    CHAPTER 5A—BUREAU OF NARCOTICS (§ 161_to_165)
    CHAPTER 6—NARCOTIC DRUGS (§§ 171_to_174—200_to_200b)
    CHAPTER 7—PRACTICE OF PHARMACY AND SALE OF POISONS IN CONSULAR DISTRICTS IN CHINA (§§ 201—215)
    CHAPTER 8—NARCOTIC FARMS (§ 221_to_237)
    CHAPTER 9—FEDERAL FOOD, DRUG, AND COSMETIC ACT (§§ 301—399a)
    CHAPTER 10—POULTRY AND POULTRY PRODUCTS INSPECTION (§§ 451—472)
    CHAPTER 11—MANUFACTURE OF NARCOTIC DRUGS (§ 501_to_517)
    CHAPTER 12—MEAT INSPECTION (§§ 601—695)
    CHAPTER 13—DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION AND CONTROL (§§ 801—971)
    CHAPTER 14—ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE EDUCATIONAL PROGRAMS AND ACTIVITIES (§ 1001_to_1007)
    CHAPTER 15—EGG PRODUCTS INSPECTION (§§ 1031—1056)
    CHAPTER 16—DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION, TREATMENT, AND REHABILITATION (§§ 1101—1194)
    CHAPTER 17—NATIONAL DRUG ENFORCEMENT POLICY (§ 1201_to_1204)
    CHAPTER 18—PRESIDENTS MEDIA COMMISSION ON ALCOHOL AND DRUG ABUSE PREVENTION (§ 1301_to_1308)
    CHAPTER 19—PESTICIDE MONITORING IMPROVEMENTS (§§ 1401—1403)
    CHAPTER 20—NATIONAL DRUG CONTROL PROGRAM (§§ 1501,_1502—1548)
    CHAPTER 21—BIOMATERIALS ACCESS ASSURANCE (§§ 1601—1606)
    CHAPTER 22—NATIONAL DRUG CONTROL POLICY (§§ 1701—1714)
    CHAPTER 23—NATIONAL YOUTH ANTI-DRUG MEDIA CAMPAIGN (§ 1801_to_1804)
    CHAPTER 24—INTERNATIONAL NARCOTICS TRAFFICKING (§§ 1901—1908)
    CHAPTER 25—MISCELLANEOUS ANTI-DRUG ABUSE PROVISIONS (§§ 2001—2014)
    CHAPTER 26—FOOD SAFETY (§§ 2101—2110)

• Stonecold,

Thank you for you wonderful PM. I just had to step in for my brothers and sisters in this fight. It isn't "just" drugs sadly, but fraud, animals, importation, smuggling etc., that are the case generators. There are so many agencies that "overlap" on some of these cases, pain pills are only a small part of the whole picture.

Sadly, "on the news", it all depends on the flavor of the week what the public sees as the bad guy? This week Oxycodone is the bad guy, and next week it will be something else. Sadly the DEA by its name gets tagged with being the government 'bad guy' in many cases. When actually *many* cases are generated by citizen informants or local police. We have to follow the leads (oops, retired Brenda), I *had* to follow the leads and tips to see if there was anything to the said allegations... :)

Brenda
  • Well I must say I learned a lot about the DEA the last two sleepless nights. And it was very cool didn't know how they came about ect. but after some research I do now.
    So I guess it's like this it takes one bad apple too spoil the barrel.
    I think after a couple of good arrest for prescription trafficing and maybe just maybe a couple bad arrest for the same offense has DR. a little jumpy. And we also know the media plays a role in all this too with coverage of lets say the death of Michael Jackson and many more.Sad part is maybe when a person is in such pain there will to live kinda goes out the door also. I know some times I feel like i don't want to suffer any more. then I look at my son and I smile and live on.
  • Stonecold,

Howdy!! The DEA originally started as the Bureau of "Narcotics" and then was blended with US Customs, and then after a bit moved into their own agency and renamed The Department of "Drug Enforcement Agency", moved out of the Dept. of Treasury into the Dept. of Justice. A lot of the guys where pissed, as they identified with being with Customs, and moved over to the Justice Department, and a DEA agent. (Normal - we all hate change).

The agency I was with was moved to Homeland Security, and yes, I 'fought' the change internally for a while! (G) As I posted, there are tons of things under Title 21 we had to learn for enforcement purposes. The FDA is the "owner" (for lack of a better term) of Title 21, the DEA was tasked with specifically "enforcing" Title 21. Each major Federal agency enforces a specific title - all share Title 18 - Federal Criminal code, but each is assigned a specific "area" of code to specialize in, and some of us (now retired) cross designated per owner agency.

If within my knowledge base, please PM for more info, or more clarification. :) I will now watch this thread for input or knowledge.

Brenda
  • You are not going to get any love for the DEA from me. Anyone knows the war on drugs is an utter failure. You can make all the laws you want, take over the counter meds and put them behind the counter, put major restrictions on docs and the abusers will find either a way or a new drug. Just look at "bath salts" and when they are restricted it will be a new one. If anyone thinks the restrictions the DEA and FDA have now with the new REM program does not affect pain patients then you are mistaken. We are going to suffer because of this. Maybe not you or everyone but some patients will. I agree, the government has no business in medical care.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.