Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pain Medication and the DEA

Comments

• My doc mentioned switching me to something that was 15 milligram and I think she said it was Norco and didn’t have the APAP in it so it would be better for me. BUT when I asked her if she thought it would work better than the 10/325 perks 6 times a day she said no. Does it work just as well for you? I would think if it didn’t – you could always take a Tylenol with it anyway since Tylenol is what makes the other stuff work from what I understand.
  • Doctors are not thrilled as they have to make out extra paper work for the Government for every patient that is on narcotics but seems to be the only way to track legitimate patients and their usage.

• advertisement
  • with the development of oxycontin and other time release pain meds, a couple of problems were solved, one there is no tylenol in them to damage your organs and a measured dose of meds is always in your blood stream on a continual basis. if one is worried about tylenol, ask if you can get a time release pill. unfortunately there are no vicodin or loratab or narco pills that are time release. I don't know why maybe a chemical thing involved but one would think that someone would develop a time release form of vicodin without the tylenol. for those of us who are lucky, oxycontin has the fewest side effects but is watched more closely than other drugs. both of my meds have no tylenol, oxycontin and fenatyl lollipops, atiqu. unfortunately most or a lot of doctors will not prescribe oxy even if it is the most effective form of pain meds due to negative media.
    try asking for it if you are concerned
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Mouse said:
    I can't live without pain control so what does it matter? I never get checked, if I can't control this nerve pain, I'd rather be dead anyway so what is the difference... I know that is a skewed way of thinking but it is exactly how I think about it..
    It's not about you not getting the meds you need to control the nerve pain. I'm all for it. The point about the blood test we talked about before. If you're taking the meds that have the acetaminophen/ibuprofen and such. Then you take Tylenol/Advil whatever. The total amount of that might tear up your liver and/or kidneys.

So get the blood test to make sure you are not slowly killing yourself in a very horribly painful way. You think the nerve pain sucks? Dying from liver poisoning and failure is gonna really suck. You might as well take the quick exit via Smith&Wesson. See I think more like you on that than you might think.

So if the doc sees from your tests that you might be on too much of a mix. They move you from one oxy to another without the added buffer. You get the pain relief you need without tearing up your liver and kidneys.

It's just a suggestion and might be worth your while to pursue.
  • All I could do this morning when I awoke AT 4:30 AM because the pain running down my legs will not let me sleep is laugh. Someone had sent me to a link Dated April 19th and the headlines read.FDA Looks to Crack Down on Misuse of Opioid Painkillers.
    EDITED And if you read this articale what goverment department is makeing the predictions of misuse the FDA and what department will over see it the DEA. if you read the numbers they don't add up 23 million prescriptions 33 million abuse and some 50 thousand emercency room visits were related. what a joke we have how many people in this country? And you are worried about 50 thousand emercency room related visits. Related can mean overdose, side effects, not enough of a dose fo pain med. ect.

URL removed, solicitation links within site. Edited by Authority Member Numbskull
  • advertisement
  • I am brand new to the forum, but I'd like to pass along my experience. I have had chronic pain for almost 10 years, but not until 5 years ago did a doctor start me on Vicodin 5mg/500mg. That lasted for a while and then moved me up to 7mg/500mg. Again that lasted for a bit and then moved me up to 10mg/660mg. From my experience, acetaminophen is the devil in pill form. What I discoved was the acetaminophen was causing rebound pain, besides ruining my liver. Long story short, I switched to oxycodone and for well over a year, my dose has remained the same and it does the job.
  • I saw this coming, but thought it was still months away. The FDA have decided that one of two things is allowed for scheduled drug prescribing...

1. A PM doctor has to prescribe; or
    2. A PM doctor has to "approve" your GP or other "none" specifically PM trained doctor to prescribe to said patient.

I just came from a very thorough physical exam update by my GP, and she told me of the notice she just got via the FDA, enforceable by the DEA as needed. The PM she recommended to me I am aware of, and have no heartburn with - as he is a PM (shots, PT, therapy and meds...not a clinic). This PM can then elect to continue to prescribe my schedule medications, or allow my GP to do it with an occasional visit to the PM to verify 'medications' are still needed.

So, that is what is kicking in Florida now. My GP was pissed! As she expressed (and I fully understand her feelings), a few bad doctors screwed up some of our authority in patient care! I could actually see the frustration very clearly.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Just a question as I've seen you write it before, when you say "not a clinic" what do you mean by that? Where do PMs work out of, if not a clinic? Just wondering if there's a difference, out of curiosity.

What a pain in the butt, for all the people whose PCPs take care of their scripts... and I imagine for the PMs as well! How many people are going to be affected by having to see new doctors and them changing their scripts around now because of this. It just seems that when people have to go to a new doc, they want to re-invent the wheel and start all over again in a lot of cases. Sounds a lot like the military actually, LOL. Good luck with your new pm, I hope the transition goes smoothly!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Howdy Kelly,

In Florida, and I suspect many other states, you have some "doctors" that only provide medications, and other doctors that do therapy, rehabilitation, shots, PT etc., and medications.

The clinics originally were suppose to be for the chronic pain type patient that has basically gotten to where only medication helps, as all other modalities had failed to achieve any relief. Somewhere along the line, these clinic (correct that...a lot of these clinic) doctors started giving these folks months and months of schedule meds - many of which were prescribed with very little medical information to back up this patients "need" for the strength, and too xxx amount of refills!!!

My doctors have always made sure that they had in their files, MRI's, x-rays, other diagnostics and exam notes to validate my need for schedule medications. Many pill mills have little to no records to validate their prescribing such high amounts.

The PM I was referred too I know of, and he will go along with her recommendation for me and Percocet. Unless he has changed, he will probably then "allow" her to treat me as a chronic pain patient!!! But this PM does the whole body attention (PT, aqua therapy, regular rehab therapy, shots etc.) Hopefully that helps? I won't go to a doctor that pretty much only writes scripts...

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Okay, so they are all pain clinics, and just some of the doctors were unreasonably prescribing meds. Gotcha. It just sounded different to me when you spoke of them like that before, like there was a difference between a PM and a PM clinic.
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.