Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Nerve pain is back kicking my ass,

advertisement

Comments

• I have the same pain you are experiencing & it's just how you described it! Did you ever go to physical therapy & let them put the TENS unit on you? I bought one from eBay ($89 version) & I use it for my "OMG someone please shoot me" pain. I can adjust to 12 different settings so it can hit the spot the way I need it to. Although at times my pain gets bad it enough it annoys me (that is rare) but I always say it's my back up. Maybe you've tried it & it did't work for you but I thought I would share just in case. I am currently going through the worst back pain of my life & I have days I cannot get out of bed & all my nights are sleepless. Hence the time of morning it is as I type this. Please keep your sense of humor, your dvd rental agreement, ice packs near by, & a sweet soul to understand & you will survive.
    BTW love the song lyrics
  • Pain and nerve pain for over 26 yrs, and though it is not a competition I do have some experience in knowing how to 'deal' with it. The only time I don't feel pain is when I put my mind on other things. Reaching out to others in some way, reading or writing a letter, doing some type of volunteering (though I can not do physical type anymore), hobbies, any kind of thinking about others (preferably positive), prayer, meditation, etc.

It can be exhausting at times trying to keep my mind occupied or turned away from myself (as we all tend to think of ourselves-human nature), and I have my bad days.. but I rarely write about those because it does tend to make my own pain worse if I think about or communicate about it. I hope you are feeling better soon!!
  • advertisement
  • Wow! 26 years is a long time to have pain. I am so sorry to hear that but it's so wonderful that you are able to not think about your pain to deal with it. You have such strength. Maybe you could give some of us at this forum tips on how not to think about it. I've tried books, letters, etc.
  • I done all the nerve pain meds already and i dont do well with them. I took neurontin for long time kept having to increase and always messed with my head so i had to get off it. Same with lyrica. All the gaba meds out there make some of us loopy so i never could do anything while on them. You name it and i probably been on it at 1 time or another.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes i have a tens unit i used from way back even before i had surgery. It did help for the back pain at the time. I tried it after surgery fo the nerve pain and for me it would just piss off the nerve even more. At first it felt good but when it had to be shut down it always agrivated the nerve to another level. I done accupuncture for the nerve, deep massage by my chiro but nerve always fights back.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • advertisement
  • Dang, man, I'm sorry about the nerve pain. That zapping lightning going down the leg (or arm in some cases) is truly hell. I've been lucky to only have mechanical pain after my ACDF and lumbar surgeries (except for a few weeks after my TLIF), but nothing residual, but I can remember...who can forget that kind of pain?

I wish that stretching to get that nerve moving to a better place would help, or a tens or meds...just something because it IS a showstopper.

Take care of yourself and keep that sense of humor. You've been an inspiration to a lot of us and continue to be. Hang in there, my friend. I'm thinking of you. I'm also hoping that nerve pain never hit me again, but if I could, I'd take some of yours from you to make you feel even a bit better. If only we could share...

Cathie
  • 26 years is a long time yes and i am catching up to you real fast. My back problem started at around 29 years of age and now i am 50. I blocked out the pain for many years then in 2004 had my 1 st surgery. We all have the ability to block out the pain to some level. You learn to block it out on a regular basis when you have no choice in the mater. There is a level of pain that can be blocked out and there is a level of pain at times that cant be blocked out.

Years back a dr recomended biofeedback which i tried. To me it was a joke. People drive to a facility and sit around meditating. I walked out telling them well good luck. I can go home and lay down at least and meditate cause sorry but i cant sit here and hurt this bad while siting. Just call me when you guys are ready to do the rain dance. .
    If i could survive driving to a facility 3 or 4 times a week and sit there for hours then i would get a part time job.

I came to realise most of the people in the program was work comp and they were forced in to this type of program or they would lose there benfits. I know this cause when i left they tried to write me up not realising i was not work comp and i could not care less what the young kid who was runing this program wrote. Kid was just out of school still in dipers.

Thats why i feel for many who are w/c and are truly hurt cause i know for a fact they are treated like crap after being injured. And as everyone knows its the people that fake it is who made it a living hell for people who are realy injured. I also seen it 1st hand with my gf who after 15 years working for ups had soulder injury and the booted her after the injury. Alex,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • From what I’ve seen at my pain mgmt doctors office, many of the people there doing therapies and all these bizarre treatments also are workmans comp or some sort of thing to be on a disability. While there are many who should be on a disability – there are plenty who use the system. Personally, I think all these ideas, meditation, the deal where they put the little needles in you all over, and chiropractors are all ridiculous. They don’t do jack for nerve pain. I feel bad you can’t take the perks or lortab, those are the only things that work for me and don’t screw with my head. I am still able or I should say – I MUST work fulltime so there are no options for me. I would lose everything I have worked my entire life for if I were to take a disability – which I should – but I can’t. I hobble in every single day, sometimes late but I make it here. It sucks, it hurts, and that’s all there is to it.
  • Thanks cathie best wishes to you also". Oh boy, Me an inspiration to all? Oh man we are in real big trouble then. Maybe its this dress i am wearing. Does this dress make me look fat?

Mouse. I dont mind some of the chiros. Chiro did help me with my shoulder and worked out a deal with me where i have no out of pocket for seeing him. He accepted medicare payment what ever they covered and most dont do that. When they see how bad you are and had fusion they know they cant crack ya but he always did deep massage and losen up the stiffness in the neck and uper body and such from fusion.

It might never cure ya but nice to have some relef from the stiffness they can provide so a person can function some what beter. I personaly would recomend people see a chiro with spine issues especialy if they have insurance that covers it. Or especialy if still working it can releif lot of the stress and help most if the chiro knows what he is doing. There is no beter muscle relaxer then a good deep massage. Many times i tried geting some releif with. muscle relaxer when body feels like a rock but drugs never even come close to helping as much as a good massage.

Everyone that has a partner should put there partners to work giving them a deep massage each day. That comes without saying thats why they are there for. If dont have a partner hire a cabana boy, You will get much beter sleep after a good massage. Of course sex wont hurt either to help anyone sleep.
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Actually - some of us are in such bad shape we wouldn't consider sex...As my wonderful (alternate lifestyle/best friend) hairdresser comment on my deterioration he looks up at me like a lightning bolt - you can't have sex can you? No, I can't...
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.