Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

cervical epidural side effects

movenowmmovenow Posts: 9
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:54 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
New question. I am scheduled to have a cervical steroid epidural in a few days. Not sure if I'll go through with it. I've heard so many side effect problems. I had a myelogram several months ago and never fully recovered from that--another spinal procedure.

So, has anyone experienced: weight gain, dizziness/seisures, heart problems, infections, nervousness, etc? I'm to leave town for a month not long after the procedure and am concerned about experiencing side effects while I'm gone.

advertisement

Comments

• I have had multiple cervical epidurals and had little side effects from them. On the one I did have a increase in pain from the medication bothering the nerve, but it was over in 4-5 days. I also have had multiple cervical nerve root blocks and had not side effects from those either. I would try the injection as it might give you some much needed relief to make your trip, just my opinion though.

• Have you experienced any relief from your various cervical epidural injections/

I am being sent to Pain Management for them, and I wonder if it is worth it.

I asked the neurosurgeon what the benefits and risks of them are, and he said;

If done by an experienced doctor, they can give very good pain relief. He said that the doctor he was sending me to was very good. (I think there is a long waiting list!)

If done by an experienced doctor, they are less risky than surgery.

The thought of it is horrible. I am less worried about needles since my lumbar fusion, but I wonder how I will cope with it.

Then, when I am having an awful headache, or pain in my arms, I think perhaps they will give me some help with the pain.

Do they help with headaches? I also wonder if the cervical injections will help with the pains and stiffening in my legs (being caused by cord compression - perhaps getting rid of the inflamation will take some pressure off the cord.)

• advertisement
  • Like TamTam I had multiple epidurals, etc. and they did provide relief for a number of years. Once I did have nerve pain in my right arm for about a month, but I did go back and get shots in the future. It was worth it to get some relief. After the 1st time and the nerves, it was fairly easy after that.

KarenD
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I have had multiple ESI of Lumbar sciatic pain. Good news is that never had any side effects. Nothing at all. Bad news is that they did little for sciatic pain. Relief from sciatic came from physical therapy known as McKinsey method. ALso from lost weight and continued core exercises.
    Also had series of ESI's for cervical stenosis again with no side effects but no relief.
    ACDF c4-5-6 June 16 2011
  • I have had multiple ESI of Lumbar sciatic pain. Good news is that never had any side effects. Nothing at all. Bad news is that they did little for sciatic pain. Relief from sciatic came from physical therapy known as McKinsey method. ALso from lost weight and continued core exercises.
    Also had series of ESI's for cervical stenosis again with no side effects but no relief.
    ACDF c4-5-6 June 16 2011
  • advertisement
  • Hi,

I had my first Epidural, before Christmas. And i must be different, lol.

Was told that i would experience muscle spasm the next day..... well. long story short. I woke up the next day thinking, cool no major pain, then one hour later my neck, tongue swelled up, making it difficult to breath. This turned out in the end to be just muscle spasms, but boy did it smart. Other than that the Epi, never did anything for me personally, but i think it may have caused more problems now with my other arm.

In my own opinion, make sure the Dr who is giving you the epi, is a good one. It is not something you want to play around with. I was greatly nervous and ok i admit it petrified off getting one. But as we all know when you are in so much pain, you will give anything a go. Just be aware off all that can happen, so you get no surprises like me. The Dr who offered me the Epi, didn't believe personally in them for relief off pain. Even though i had no relief, more pain, and muscle neck spasm. I'm glad that i gave it a go, just even to see if it would work for me at least. :) Hope, is worth it.

Good Luck! Hope it works for you. :)

advertisement