Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Oedema / edema

val1vval1 Posts: 247
Has anyone out there developed oedema/edema through inactivity resulting from their back condition? If so, I'd be really interested to know whether yours is mild or more pernicious, how it was diagnosed if you're lying horizontally, whether it's painful in your legs & feet, how you control it, then lastly, is it being treated and if so, how?

Any information would be greatfully received.

Thank you so much,

Val (UK - thus the spelling of oedema/edema!)
advertisement

Comments

• val1 said:
    Has anyone out there developed oedema/edema through inactivity resulting from their back condition? If so, I'd be really interested to know whether yours is mild or more pernicious, how it was diagnosed if you're lying horizontally, whether it's painful in your legs & feet, how you control it, then lastly, is it being treated and if so, how?

Any information would be gratefully received.

Thank you so much,

Val (UK - thus the spelling of oedema/edema!)
    ps I meant 'gratefully'!!
  • val, i am sorry to read you are having trouble with edema in your legs. i am sure that must be very painful! i do not suffer from the condition but do have pain in my legs from sciatica.. i do hope you are feeling better soon..good luck with your pain options.. Jenny :)
  • advertisement
  • Thanks so much for your comment. It hurts like mad especially when I'm standing, so that's a collapsed disc (L5/S1) AND now oedema.

The saying goes that 'things come in threes', so I'm wondering what else can happen?!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment Jenny,

Val (UK)
  • I had edema in my legs but more in my left leg and foot and couldn't even get my shoe on from the swelling. When I went for an x-ray of my foot they couldn't even tell if I had a stress fracture and had to have a bone scan and it was arthritis and soft tissue swelling. I also iced my foot and leg.

Then I took Lyrica and I swelled up again and had to take a water pill. I found more relief with Cymbalta and lost the 45 lbs I gained from inactivity and Lyrica but was able to lose it once I started Cymbalta.

I started using a recumbent exercise bike for moving my legs the swelling went down and when I started walking too. I also had an ultrasound of my legs. My L5-S1 herniated disc finally healed or wasn't seen in my second MRI 15 months later but let my Dr. know I was exercising and had to take pain meds to exercise and felt better using a cane for walking. I also had relief from the swelling with spinal injections.

Unfortunately I got DDD from my back injury and still have the same pain but hope you get some relief. Have you had an EMG/Nerve test yet for your leg? Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Thank you for your suggestions and for enlightening me as to your own oedema problems. Quite frankly, it's got to the stage where there are so many problems, my body just seems to be falling apart. Everything I drink plus all the water contained within food ends up in my legs/feet/body. It's the most awful feeling - rather like living in a wet-suit lol!

You ask whether I've had tests for my leg; unfortunately the pain's at the base of my spine where the disc's collapsed(L5/S1). Now my intestines are allowing fluid out into the tissues, all the meds I take eg oxycontin, pull my intestines tightly, which in turn pull against my spine which hurts the injured disc area even more.

I seem to remember you're a Canadian nurse (or am I wrong?). Have you ever seen anything like these symptoms in your years of experience?

Thanks again for your help. It's much appreciated.

Val
  • advertisement
  • I take a water pill Lasix for the edema and I also wore compression stockings(TED stockings) for the swelling but no longer wear the stockings. You wear them through the day and take off at night. I take Oxycontin also. Speak with your Dr. about the leg swelling and the TED stockings and if he wants he could prescribe a water pill but need to watch your potassium levels if you do take those.

Not sure if you're working or standing all day or doing repetitive movements can all add to your leg edema. Depending on your age you may want to get checked out including blood work, physical and x-rays or like I had ultrasound of the legs. Weight, or if you smoke can lead to to issues also and swelling of the knee and feet which I also had and arthritis.

Make sure you have no shortness of breath with the leg swelling and note if your urine is concentrated or not voiding as much as you used to and let your Dr. know. Have you had flexion extension x-rays of your back? Just concerned because you say both legs are affected also.

Yes I'm a Canadian RN for over 20 years and last worked in ER and Urgent Care but have worked in Oncology and Cardiology telemetry. I have noticed many people who have spinal fractures and back issues have issues with leg swelling especially going through it my self. As long as you're seeing your Dr. on a regular basis and let him know any new symptoms if you have any. Especially if you're having weakness and numbness you may need a referral to a Neurologist. Take easy. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Yes, I thought you were the Canadian RN from ages ago; I haven't been on the site since this oedema began. Odd that you worked in Oncology and Cardiology; I worked in Pathology (on neoplasia!) and Cardiology (on atheroma).

However, I know little about oedema and the thing about which I'm most uncertain is this: is it supposed to hurt this much?! Concomitant with this oedema starting, my rectal function ceased. Not to be crude, but faeces won't exit 'naturally' any more and I can't find out whether that's an expected side-effect of oedema? Additionally, the fluid doesn't remain in my legs and feet. I have to lie sideways, but horizontally on my bed to stop my disc from hurting, so the fluid spreads throughout my body and goes up into my head (cerebral oedema).

How does one cope with oedema in general? You suggested taking diuetics, but my K+ is really low, so the only way I can think of to regulate the volume is by restricting fluid intake, which I've been doing for the past 12 months. I often find the fluid's boiling hot, which makes it even more uncomfortable.

Did you have these symptoms? I've also been having my cardiac function monitored, pulmonary too. To date, they're both fine, but I can't imagine they'll stay fine forever; something's got to give!

So do you have any advice on diet or how to increase my K+ without increasing the fluid volume?

Lastly, does it hurt your legs (it hurts mine)?

Thanks again for your help Charry; it's very much appreciated!

Val

• Hi Val If your potassium is low the most likely thing is to up the K+ and increase your water intake. Your Dr. can prescribe K+ tablets and get it up especially if your potassium is less than 4 well normal is 3.5 but for heart's sake K+ should be around 4. Reduce salty foods and fatty fried foods and sugar and eat lots of vegetables and fruits and change red meat to chicken and fish. Naturally high K+ can be found in Raisins and dried apricots, dates and salmon, tuna and lentils and the lower but usual K+ rich we take are bananas and orange juice.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that increasing water would actually cause you to lose water! unless you have a sodium restricted diet for a reason involving your Sodium then you would need to decrease fluids like you've been doing especially if you're having heart and pulmonary monitored. Read up about sodium and potassium exchange and how they work together to stop edema. But if you've worked in the lab you will probably know this already?

I found that peddling on my recumbent bike and walking with a cane that the swelling will go away but as always you need to talk with your Dr. or Cardiologist about this. Why are they monitoring your pulmonary and heart? If low K+ it can cause heart palpitations and other issues.

I have pain from the swelling and I was swollen all over before when I took Lyrica and bloated all over and gained 50lbs on it.

The thing what's concerning is pain when standing and I have this especially trying to wash dishes or even standing to pour juice or "brushing my teeth" which I made a post about before.

Have you had flexion/extension x-rays? Have you let your Dr. know about pain at your rectum? If you're having cerebral edema I would hesitate about taking one's advice over the internet and see why this is happening. Your Dr. may need to refer you to an Endocrinologist to find out why you're losing potassium(K+) or may order a 24 hour urine collection and usually they do a regular panel of blood work checking the thyroid.

I have the same symptoms where I need to lean to one side for elimination. I feel like I have the same symptoms of L5-S1 herniated disc though it wasn't noticed on my second MRI.

Especially well don't know where you live but it's really hot and humid here and I have to drink a lot of water.

I also am moving tomorrow and will be without internet from Friday until Monday after 2pm so I won't be around to post until July 25th. Well praying things will work out for you. Charry
  • On the subject of fluid intake - trust me - I've tried every imaginable mix over the past 12 months. If I increase my fluid intake, the excess goes down into my legs and it hurts even more to walk, stand, brush my teeth, pour juice and the dishes - well they don't stand a chance! The only position where the oedema doesn't hurt my legs is lying down, with them elevated.

I get numbness in my left hand and arm from leaning on it whilst typing ie now.

If you're moving, I'll keep this short and ask you the rest, post 25th.

Best of luck with the move. They say it's one of the 3 most traumatic things in life, close to death and divorce!

bfn, Val
    ps I live in a part of the UK, which is often as wet and humid as rainforest country lol!
  • I heard you're not very well but hope you recover soon. Thinking of you and saying a prayer. Charry
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.