Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

1st appointment with pain management ???

advertisement

Comments

• He did NOT prescribe meds at all, he asked a few questions. He said hubby's problem isn't nerve damage, or nerve pain, (despite numbness in back front and groin area) since most of hubby's pain is in his back. He wants to try facet injections. He ordered a Physc eval, a MRI, and I have to take him the results of hubby's FCE done in Aug. (hubbyy is a wc patient). Hubby had a herniated disc at l2/l3 and surgery with fusion and hardware on 6/14/10. Then a decompresson at l2/l3, l3/l4 and l4/l5 and removal of the hardware on 3/9/11. His surgeon released him and referred him to pain management on 9/27/11. his pm appointment was 11/22/11. Not impressed, more like worried. Any advice, opinions welcome. . .
    ~X(

• How long did it last?
    My appointment lasted about 1 1/2 hours. First I saw the registrar for about an hour, who was very thorough, then he took me through to see the Pain Consultant and we view my MRI scan and talked for another half an hour. It was decided that they needed to see an up to date MRI scan before deciding on my treatment. I was booked for a full spine MRI the following week, so they asked that I got my Neurosurgeon to call them into his clinic to view the scan pictures, and then they would plan treatment for me. Sadly, the neurosurgeon said his clinic was running late, so he didn't call in the Pain Consultant. I am still waiting to find out what happens next. I have phoned his secretary twice and got no help. Now my GP has written to him and asked what his plan for me is. So I suppose you could say that my appointment is continuing! Nearly 2 months so far!!!

What did they do?
    Asked lots of questions (about history, pain and symptoms,medications used) examined my spine, did neurological tests, viewed MRI scan

Did you have treatment?
    No, still waiting to see what treatment is planned. The Pain Consultant did say that ESIs were unlikely to help as I have spondylosis in addition to disc herniations, so ESI won't help with bone compressing on the cord.

How long did you have to wait for the appointment?
    April until September (6 months)
  • advertisement
  • hi my surgery twin.

And it's very saddening that the wait times that you have to go thru, to see different doctors and get tests done seem beyond imignation.
    I realize they have a different health care system over there, and everyone has their own opinions, but it's just seems to me, i truly sympathesize with and for you, on your long waits to see the doctors.

I'm not talking down any system, i just feel sorry for the long waits that you have to endure.

Best wishes to ya.
  • We went back Fri. for the PM Dr to do facet injection, 6 in all, 3 on each side. The good Dr has ordered a "Pain Management Performance Test" to be preformed at the Physical Therapy dept of the hospital, followed by a psych evaluation MMPI/P3 preformed at a Psychological and Counseling Center. This patient is a 59 yr old man who has undergone 2 major back surgeries in the last 18 months. This fine Pain Management Dr. said he thinks most of hubby's pain is from arthritis. I'm ready to scream. . . Has anyone been put through this type of "testing" the Dr has prescribed no medication at all for my hubby, and wont, according to his nurse until he has the results of all these tests. . . mind you he can and did inject him, no need for any tests for that. I am starting to believe it's all about injections, more money for them instead of writing a Rx
  • I went to PM for over 2 years with no relief and very little meds. This was after trying 2 other
    "Pain Dr" a physiatrist and a NS. Your correct for some it is about injections and wanting to ensure the injections work so they won't give you meds that may mask the pain (that's what I was told anyway)....
    Was also told that they will give injections right away in hopes of providing relief while getting results of tests etc...

My PCP Dr now takes care of prescribing my pain meds and I get periodic injections in my lower back from NS which will last from 3 to 6 months. I've had injections in neck performed by 4 different Drs and they did not work. Neuro surgeon told me that because the injections didn't work, pain would not be a reason to do surgery. If I continue to loose strength/reflexs then they'll do surgery but not to expect relief from my neck pain.
    Since the lower back shows positive results from injections I am a candidate for surgery if the injections stop working
    laminectomy c4/c5 2008, ACDF c4-c7 Jan 20 2014 sched
  • advertisement
advertisement