Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Please help! Neuropathy

WandtmacWWandtmac Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Good Day Everyone!
This will be short as possible due to my pain. I'm not new to pain. My history goes back to my teens & I'm now 41 w/22 mo old baby girl!
This week there was a change in my meds due to a high tolerance & the ability to adjust to meds QUICKLY! Since the change nerve pain in arms neck checks jaw low back & legs has grown worse each day.
Only relief comes from ice BUT I've got to leave it on constantly which causes a burn to my skin! Heat makes it worse!

Has anyone found a home treatment that helps? Sedatives are not helping because pain is extremely high...nearing 10.

Drs are at a loss other than treatment w/hospital stay.

Thank you!
Traci
advertisement

Comments

• Sorry to hear you are going through a bad patch too. It is very difficult as every BODY is a different world and what works for one of us doesn't for others... At the moment we are all experimenting trying to find what is good for each other and it is a question of keep trying everything and anything from accupuncture, phisiotheraphy, blockers, pain managment units, natural herbs, oils, you name it you try it. If it is your neck most of the times I find that to lay down when it flurs up and wear a collar for 20 minutes plus a good muscle relaxant and a tens sometimes helps. The only problem is you have to this several times a day and you cannot always lay down... There are many post in this forum about different alternative methods, try reading the thead "pain really kicking in"
    Hope it calms down and you feel better....
    Hugs
    Maria
  • Have you had a recent MRI or x-rays of your neck and EMG/nerve test and seeing an Orthopedic or Neurosurgeon? I know Cymbalta and Lyrica has been a good way of helping the sciatica pain for me as well as Physiotherapy has helped me with getting a Dr. order for that.

Do you have a Pain Management Dr. to help with possibly injections and other medications. Your Family Dr. could refer you. I've seen 3 Pain Management Drs. Never give up for a Dr. to help with your pain. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • have you tried the acticare unit ?its an external spinal cord stimulator and a high end TENS .you may also require a medication change .lyrica is very good for neuropathic pain BUT it has a list of side effect as long as your arm !! i cant cant take it or any drugs like that ..but some can ..maybe you can? i feel bad for you as neuropathic pain is horrible .i hope that you get something sorted soon
    tony {uk}
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • The nurse was able to track down my pm dr (on vac overseas) & he increased my script by double. Today much less discomfort. I really thought my Cymbalta was controlling the nerve pain but I was wrong.

They changed my pain med from methadone to oxycontin. I've got to rotate those every 6 mo to control the pain. This is the 1st time I had to be givin the max dose at the beginning. We know my neck will require more surgery but I'm trying to wait as long as possible due to my baby girl loves cuddling & falls asleep often in my lap. I don't want to miss these sweet yrs of loving...she's already strong willed so I know her teens are going to be rough!

• Hello. I also had surgery for C5-6 4 months ago. I decided to go through with it after 4 months of pain. I had a moderate stenosis on my right arm. I also had left arm pain but no stenosis on my left side. I have a small osteophyte on my C6-7. I am still in pain after 4 months of having this surgery. Any suggestions on what I should do. I am beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered with the surgery. I didn't have cord compression or flattening. I had moderate stenosis from a moderate to large osteophyte with disc dessication. Was this really even surgical?

• advertisement

• Hello. I also had surgery for C5-6 4 months ago. I decided to go through with it after 4 months of pain. I had a moderate stenosis on my right arm. I also had left arm pain but no stenosis on my left side. I have a small osteophyte on my C6-7. I am still in pain after 4 months of having this surgery. Any suggestions on what I should do. I am beginning to think I shouldn't have bothered with the surgery. I didn't have cord compression or flattening. I had moderate stenosis from a moderate to large osteophyte with disc dessication. Was this really even surgical?

• Is no friend of mine! The relief of pain was great! But I swelled like a blow fish & couldn't urniate! That was about 3 wks of meds...
    I think I need the methadone back...I didn't realize how much pain it was controlling!

Thank you I do value any & all advice...
  • Neck surgery to anyone. UNLESS...you've lost function. My left arm was hanging 4inches lower than right. No pulse no reflexes and all happened when I reached for a paper towel!

Good news is function is there...can't feel most of arm & if got less than 2lbs of grip. Dr told my hubby to expect no function when I awoke. The spinal damage appeared bad! But I awoke grabbing for him with that arm...
    1st several months were great...then abt month 4 the nerve pain hit with a train pushing it!

Dr told me its a "hand off"! Either no function or function w/pain until the right treatment is found. 2 years later I'm happy I still have my arm...look at my daughter & smile...glad I'm blessed enough to have her BUT WILL NEVER SAY THIS SURGERY IS EASY!
  • The surgery has a difficult recovery. I was not prepared for this. I have muscle spasms on my neck that make me feel like someone is strangling me. I am sick of this feeling. Any suggestions would be appreciated. My only support system was my boyfriend and he left 3 weeks after this surgery.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.