Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Sciatic pain after lumbar laminectomy surgery

Comments

• I had ALIF surgery in March 2009 - my S1/L5 & L5/L4 were fused and I have the rods and screws. They will do a lot of the fusion surgery with you on your back since they go in through the anterior, and then flip you over for the rods and screws in the back (posterior).

My surgery took close to six hours. I was in the hospital for five day/four nights. Home from work about six weeks, and then back to work (office job) part time for four weeks. Then back full time. Walking is a great exercise to help the fusion complete.

This surgery took care of my symptoms - left leg and foot numb, painful with drop foot as well. So you should get some relief.

My only problem now is I have pain/numbness in my right thigh, but not lower. I believe I may have did something in my L4/L3 area to irritae the nerve. Having an MRI next Tuesday to find out what's up.

In my opinion, the problem with fusing the lower lumbar is that it makes the spine above the fusion site work harder. More chance for additional issues in the future.

Take Care.
  • Thanks RickC,
    Had my pre-op checkup today and all systems are go for next Thursday! I am really ready to get this over with, the pain as of late has been more than I want to deal with. It has been a long road to get to this point and I am hoping for the best possible results. I have exhausted every other avenue of help so I feel that the time is right.
  • advertisement
  • Good luck to u!! MY friend had 2 LEVEL fusion on the l4-5 and l5-s1 and he feels GREAT ! ZEROPAIN and no meds.. i know not everyone is this lucky.. Another co worker had 2 level fusion and its been 12 years and he is still great just stiffness. So there are people who it works for.. anyways Trike i wish u the best luck and thanks for posting on this thread and keeping us up to date!
  • Good luck to u!! MY friend had 2 LEVEL fusion on the l4-5 and l5-s1 and he feels GREAT ! ZEROPAIN and no meds.. i know not everyone is this lucky.. Another co worker had 2 level fusion and its been 12 years and he is still great just stiffness. So there are people who it works for.. anyways Trike i wish u the best luck and thanks for posting on this thread and keeping us up to date!
  • PaulekeanePPaulekeane Posts: 1
    edited 02/16/2014 - 3:38 AM
    Hello- I'm sorry to say that I will sound like a complainer as some pain people are describing seems intense as I had pre-surgery but I had surgery 11 days ago, had my staples out 2 days ago and picked up my daughter yesterday. I have since had slight sciatica in my left buttocks (same side as pre-surgery pain)...not as intense and it comes and goes only for a few seconds but I'm scared. Could I have screwed something up? Or is this quite normal because I just haven't used my back/legs to lift in weeks? Thanks
  • advertisement
  • Nerves can take time to heal if they were compressed prior to surgery. I don't know how much your daughter weighs but You may want to avoid lifting until it calms down. And never hesitate to call your Doc if you have concerns. I still have sciatica post surgery but my nerves were very irritated. It's good that your symptoms have improved post surgery. Remember that your body is still recovering. My Doc told me that walking helps, but only as tolerated. If the pain continues, or worsens, call your Doc and see what is recommended. And you do not sound like a complainer, that's what these forums are here for.
    Progressive DDD
    Osteoarthritis
    Chronic S1 Radiculopathy
    Discectomy L5-S1 2002
    Discectomy, Laminotomy/Foraminotomy L3-S1 January 2014
    Bilateral SI Joint Fusion and 2 level spinal Fusion October 2014
  • Byrd 44BByrd 44 Posts: 1
    edited 07/12/2015 - 9:23 PM
    newbie here and 10 days ago i had l4-5 dicsectomy and laminectomy. first couple days i was good not much pain but on the 3rd day i woke up with severe pain going down my leg. so much i had to get a cane. i'm now walking again without the cane but it's still excruciating. i know i haven't done to much because i literally have not been doing nothing. now my back is so stiff. i'm hoping this all gets better. could the pain in my leg just be my sciatic nerve inflamed from surgery? pain in my leg is 10x worse now than before surgery. one good thing is i no longer feel like there are hundreds of bees stinging my feet. they are still numb. please tell me this gets better. i see my surgeon tomorrow.

moderator's message...please click on link for helpful information
    welcome to spine-health
  • I woke up this morning with the same issue. My hips and legs are so sore. It doesn't feel like the sciatica I had prior to surgery. Did you ever figure out what was causing it? AND Did it stop??
  • I feel great! I'm back to work. I'm off my pain meds. I finally have my life back and it feels AMAZING!!!!

Laminectomy/Discectomy L4-5 July 20, 2015
advertisement