Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Muscle spasms and Neurontin

advertisement

Comments

• Peter , as a matter of fact I have however due to hippa laws i am prohibited from discussing details. Sounds to me like you are a salesman rather than just a patient pointing out what works for them as hagland said . What numbskull and i are trying to convey to others is that we do not dispute that this is one potential for spasms but each circumstance is different and if people who are desperate for relief ( which is all of us) just try suggestions from others without proper guidance they could be causing trouble for themselves . As a matter of fact my license as well as experience does give me the ability to assure others that consultation with drs regarding whether new therapies are right for them is valid and good medical practice. I'm sorry you are offended but i think you are not understanding people can be hurt by just taking "supplements "'. If it worked for you then that is fabulous but it can harm in excess. Im not going to get into any Further argument with you on this subject.
    Kinney, sorry to hear your still dealing with this crap post surgery . I'm a low back gal so i couldn't imagine what it would be like to deal with the pain up there . Good luck with finding therapies that you and your medical team explore in trying to give you some relief.
  • Good points, C and Michelle
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • advertisement
  • I guess I don't see the issue with considering all avenues to help one's pain...Both medicinal and non medicinal treatments...as well as supplements...

I know that for myself...just changing to all Organic (not vegetarian...just all natural)...as well as focusing on anti-inflammatory foods (soy, cherries, etc) have made a huge difference in my energy levels as well as some muscle pain..

Magnesium has been proven for many years to help with inflammation...The Rheumatologist who diagnosed me back in 1995 with Fibromyalgia had me take this supplement along with Flexeril as a muscle relaxer when needed (also to help with getting to stage 4 sleep)..He was one of the first in the country to recognize and specialize in Fibromyalgia and CFS...He was at Georgetown Univ. Hospital back then and now runs one of the top Clinics in the US in Michigan for these issues..

As well as being low in Potassium is responsible for many muscle cramps as well.

I always believe in starting with the easy fixes first...and then moving towards medication and/or surgery as the last resort...I have had 3 cervical fusions...and am prescribed opiates as long term pain management...but I also use daily exercise, yoga/stretching, acupuncture, PT, aqua therapy, Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, a muscle relaxer when needed..a sleep med, and eat all Organic...do not smoke, and use a multi-vitamin, Vit D, C, and Magnesium supplements..

Again...I think it's critical to work with a knowledgeable Dr. who wants to treat the whole body and doesn't just throw medicine as the only option or rush to surgery...nor should they fear medicine in addition to other modalities...

And yes PLEASE check with your Dr. as well as your Pharmacist so they can monitor and see if there are any interactions with any medicine that one already takes..

As well as with all supplements including D and C...it can be unhealthy to take too much..So that is why it's good to be tested for certain levels before taking in high doses.

And just an FYI...but it's HIPAA (lots of people accidentally make the mistake to put two P's instead of A's...)

It stands for The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act...

I was also a Volunteer Firefighter/EMT for 10 years..:)

So I think that there should be room for all different views on these boards that believe in all sorts of modalities to help those in chronic pain..

I'm actually friends with my PM Dr. outside our appts. for the last 4 years...(He was just voted one of the top 70 PM's in the US..)...So it's been wonderful to learn what it's like on his side of things...I am blessed that he truly cares about his patients and helps them live a decent life managing their pain with using every tool at his disposal as well as teaching me to use simple things like exercise and diet (healthy eating) as well.
  • Great points , that's what we are trying to say. Consider all options but do it responsibily that is all. :) and thank you for the correction of my typo. Just too fast typing on phone and not paying attention . :)
  • No worries...I truly didn't mean to be correcting you specifically...just wanted to write it out for those who don't know what it stands for..

And to the OP...I forgot to even put any information about the Neurontin as I got caught up in the thread..LOL...But as mentioned...it's usually prescribed for nerve pain specifically..which is a burning type pain that is usually referred..as in your case and mine with cervical issues...my nerve pain would be down my arms and into my hands/fingers...

I am blessed to not have much nerve pain anymore after my fusion surgeries...but I still have chronic muscle spasm pain, scar tissue pain, and deep 'bone' pain...but that is because I've had 3 fusions over the years on two levels..

I use Flexeril which is a muscle relaxer when needed...as well as opiates for my other pain when needed...and all the other things I mentioned in my previous post..

If after a few weeks your pain in your upper back is not going away...I would certainly speak to your Dr. and maybe switching to a muscle relaxer would help..along with trying other non medicinal avenues as well...
  • advertisement
  • yes, exactly, we have said that magnesium deficiency CAN be a cause of muscle spasms, but NOT the ONLY cause, and that everyone should consult with their doctor before adding any supplements into their med regimen. The doctor can check magnesium levels through blood tests to find out if you are deficient, as discussed in the link I provided, and knowing from my own personal experience, as that is one of the levels I get checked twice a year. We also gave a few other options as to how to deal with spasms, other than just relying on modern medication. Now that that proverbial horse has been beaten sufficiently, can we move on so as to not detract anymore from Kinney's original post as C suggested? Thanks!
    Kelly
  • wow, that is more repsonses then i anticipated. thanks for all the posts.

i will speak with my doctor in more detail about the neurontin. he wants me to try cervical epidurals again too. i naively thought the neurontin was a muscle relaxer - i obviously didn't do my homework.

with my cervical disc issues, maybe the neurontin is worth a try. it sounds like there are minimal side effects.

anyone here have success with neurontin? (i do realize that what works for one may not work for another)

thanks again!

• Hi Kinney;

I've been taking gabapentin for my neuropathy (the generic brand of neurontin) for 2 years now, 600mg x 3/day. It has helped, not completely, but some. I'm actually currently titrating down under dr supervision to give my body a little break, and to see exactly how much, or even little, it is helping. I've had no issues with adverse side effects from it, but there are a few people on the site who get "brain fog" or memory loss as a side effect.

Good luck with it, I hope it helps you with your nerve pain. As C mentioned earlier, by eliminating some nerve pain, it might help with the spasms as well.
    Kelly
  • Magnesium, Peter. It does work beautifully, especially in the cardiac arena. I gave anesthesia for heart surgery, and we found magnesium deficiency to be common place. We gave high dose magnesium to keep the heart from fibrillating...this was in a controlled setting however.

I take a reasonable dose myself. I have not found it to be a wonder drug for muscle spasms, but I do know that it helps with the uptake of calcium into the cell, which is important for me. I do take pain meds and it also helps me from having to take more chemicals like miralax.

SG
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    ...post... :)
    Waswondering if some of us..me..even know if it's muscle spsm or involntay movement.
    I can be "spastic" for entire day..depending on day.

Seemed more neuro to me but..I dunno.

I take neurotinfor pain..but I wonder about side effects of all the meds...causing more discomfort or pain.

And yeah, we're all so different. If we can't respect the reality of another..that it's different than ours...wow..I can listen to my family for that. :) :)
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.