Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Muscle spasms and Neurontin

advertisement

Comments

• sleeprgirl said:
    Magnesium, Peter. It does work beautifully, especially in the cardiac arena. I gave anesthesia for heart surgery, and we found magnesium deficiency to be common place. We gave high dose magnesium to keep the heart from fibrillating...this was in a controlled setting however.

I take a reasonable dose myself. I have not found it to be a wonder drug for muscle spasms, but I do know that it helps with the uptake of calcium into the cell, which is important for me. I do take pain meds and it also helps me from having to take more chemicals like miralax.

SG
    Hi SG, great to see your comments on Mg.
    You have partially restored my faith in this forum.
    I didn't realise how difficult it can be to offer simple advice.
  • Knowledge is power, and the day we stop the learning process would be a sad day.

I think most people would consider me a card carrying member of conventional medicine, since I studied pharmacology for much of grad school. Howwever, since developing autoimmune thyroid/adrenal disease and the spine issues, I have sought out help from the naturopathic industry. I certainly try to look for options that have minimal side effects for options at least. I lost much of my short term memory with lyrica/neurontin, so I did discontinue those meds, as requested by my doctor. He gives his blessing and support with my supplementations of calcium, magnesium, strontium, vit B complex and B12, vit D, fish oil, etc. I had delayed fusion, osteopenia, pernicious anemia, so we decided that it could not hurt, and possibly help some of my issues.

I'm also concerned about chronic pain and hypertension. Jon (terror8396) was discussing shortened life span and chronic pain, and I was told by an occupational health physician during an IME how important it would be to decrease the probability of developing co-morbidities due to constant pain. I saw first hand how magnesium would decrease blood pressure, and keeping minerals optimally balanced is essential in keeping our blood pressure normalized.

I love Rons description of the blend. That philosophy works in all aspects of health care, and can definitely benefit from it as well.

SG
  • advertisement
  • If you don't mind answering why did you need surgery three times at the same levels?
  • Hi Peter - I too am a huge believer in taking supplements. I am interested to try this. Currently I am taking a calcium magn potassium suppl. The mag is 500 mg and the magn is magn oxide, citrate alpha somethin somethin. Can you tell me (or anyone else that is taking it) how much you heard was good to take? I did read it was a water soluble vitamin so usually with those, you can't take too much. KN
  • hi sleeprgirl, you mentioned that you like the naturopathic industry... maybe you should check out ShuziQi? I've heard those guys have had some great results with chronic pain. Are you in new zealand? i think they have a bunch of shops around the country. Hope this helps!

-Jenny
  • advertisement
  • I'm in the Southern US, but will check it out. Thanks again.

SG
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.