Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Un-freaking-believable!

Comments

• Oh dear

I hope it all turns out ok for you - at least they are going to do more imaging fairly quickly

Let us know how it goes

x
  • Will definitely keep you posted.
  • advertisement
  • Here's hoping you get some much needed relief soon, Kim. Hang in there! :-)

Charlie
  • Thanks Charlie! This is all just so frustrating. To top it off, I'm getting sick yet again. I have a sore throat and chest congestion...thinking it might be the start of bronchitis
  • Ugh.......hope it's not bronchitis. Been there done that, had that after my first ACDF in '07, talk about scary.....was afraid coughing would pop the fusion!

Hoping youre doing better!
    Charlie
  • advertisement
  • you all the best on your first day at your new job Kim! Let us know how it went.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hey everyone! Well, it turned out to be a virus...not bronchitis, thank goodness. I had a fever for about a day and a half, along with body aches and chills. Everyone kept asking how my back was, but with the body aches, I couldn't tell. Plus, I spent the entire weekend in bed. Good thing because I woke up this morning feeling good as new, aside from the back.

So anyway, today was my first day of work. Today and tomorrow are hospital-wide orientation, so they are two full days of routine getting-to-know the hospital type stuff. It's pretty standard for every hospital you go to. I was doing pretty well for about half of the day. By lunchtime the pain kicked in, just from the short walk to the cafeteria and then standing to get my food and standing in line. Plus, the chairs in the conference room we were in were not that comfortable. Prior to going to work I had taken a Motrin 800, and I brought 3 with me just in case. I ended up not taking them because I'm finding the Motrin does NOTHING for me except upset my stomach. I managed to get through the rest of the day. I got home and popped TWO Motrin (bad, I know), and even that didn't help. So I caved and took an Oxycodone about 45 minutes ago. That's finally helping a little bit. The pain is absolutely excrutiating. I feel like I've traded one pain for another, except this one is worse...MUCH worse. In some ways I'm regretting having had the surgery, although perhaps eventually this would have happened anyway, if it is, in fact, another disc acting up.

I had the MRI on Saturday (no results yet) and the CT scan today. The CT scan was with and without contrast and was just on levels T8-T10. I guess he also wanted to check the surgical site, which the CT scan will give a better picture of. Apparently the MRI, at this stage of the game, will still show a lot of inflammation. I requested the results of both the MRI and CT scan be sent to me as well. I'll keep you posted.
  • Okay, so I've had both a t-spine MRI and lumbar MRI in the past. The t-spine MRI showed multipled herniations, big and small, from T5 all the way down to T11. I just went for a repeat t-spine MRI on Saturday, but I don't have the results yet. While I was there, I was able to obtain a copy of the report from the lumbar MRI, and it was completely NORMAL. I have to admit I was a bit surprised. From everything I've read, it seems lumbar and cervical tend to be the most common areas to have herniations. Due to the thoracic spine having the ribs attached, it is typically more stable, so the likelihood of having a herniated disc in that reason, much less one that needs surgical intervention, is much less. I've never had a cervical MRI, but I have no neck pain whatsoever, so I'm guessing all is fine in that area.

Anyway, I guess I'm curious as to how it is that I could have so many thoracic herniations, yet my lumbar spine is completely fine. And this all started after I lifted my daughter that fateful day in October 2010. I don't remember exactly how it happened. I may have done a slight twisting motion as I was lifting her to put her in her highchair. All I remember was hearing/feeling a pop...and so my journey began. I have a hard time believing that my improper lifting technique could have led to THAT many herniated discs in the t-spine. The first NS I had seen (not the one who performed my surgery) mentioned that often times people with multiple t-spine herniations, like myself, are later on diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis, but I have yet to read any literature to back that up. I'm going to ask my NS at UPenn about it at my follow-up appt on the 23rd, unless my appt gets bumped up. I already set up an appt with a rheumatologist, but it isn't until mid-sept. And if the surgeon at UPenn doesn't think I have AS, then I'm not going to waste the money seeing a rheumy.
  • sorry, posted by mistake!

• Hey Kim..I read both posts..and the one about being in so much pain after going to work yesterday...

You are only ONE month out of surgery!...I personally think you are trying to go too fast and may end up harming yourself in the long run by not giving your body enough time to recover from that type of surgery..

That's why you are in so much pain...even worse than before the surgery by the end of the day...

And even though it's a bit odd...but what wonderful news that your lumbar and cervial regions don't have any issues! That is a huge blessing!

I wouldn't try to worry about figuring out the 'why'...I would just concentrate on healing from this surgery...and then doing things down the road that can keep your back strong..Especially focused on keeping the abdominals strong...Doing yoga/stretching...all the types of activities that are good for your back but ONLY when you are cleared to do all of those..

Again..you really have to look at things long term here...If you don't let the surgery heal properly...you could get more adhesions (scar tissue) because you are stressing the area too much too soon...and then keep irratating the nerves and cause permanent damage...All because you are rushing back to work only a month out..

Just my thoughts...obviously it's up to you and your Dr.:) I just want to see you get better and heal well!
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.