Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Pushing yourself - is it possible?

advertisement

Comments

• PhilC45 said:

In other words, if you are able stay physically active, it is sometimes possible to minimize lasting negative effects. The caveat is that time off from physical rehabilitation does not exist. I find that if I do not work out six days a week everything regresses and my coordination and balance starts to regress. Therefore, for the rest of my life, I will have to be physically active most days.
  • Work out 6 days a week! Hell if i could work out 6 days a week i be going back to work and get paid for it at least.
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • advertisement
  • He's very lucky indeed, works out on top of working! That was one of the good things about being in the military, we actually did get paid to work out, lol
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I understand exactly what you're saying. I definitely push myself and yes I think I'm better for it...although at times I'm worse because of it. Still, all in all I think it's the only way to be. I look at it this way, if I sit and do nothing not only am I in pain but I also dwell on that pain to much. At least while I'm busy my mind is occupied with other things besides the pain. So yep, it's possible for me...until I've pushed to far then I just back off, whine and wallow in my self pity parties for awhile then do it all over again. lol.

I hope you're feeling much better today my friend. I totally understand how you felt having it hit you after you made your original post. Seems like it happens that way all to often doesn't it?

Take care,
    Debbie
  • I think the one thing everyone needs to keep in mind is that everyone is in a different place in life. I refuse to believe that the vast majority of spinal patients, had surgery to just lay in bed. The reason they take the risk of surgery, is they want their life back. Some members on this board while they don't work, spend most of the time figuring out how to take care of themselves and do small things. While for many those things may not be a challenge, for others it is huge challenge.

I myself, get up everyday, do my stretches, shower and hope today is the day, it will be better. I truly believe being in chronic pain is a much harder job than any type of employment I have ever had, both physically and emotional.

The one thing I am always so happy to see, is the members who get their life back, who go on, to do other things. I live vicariously through all of you whom do. I am not jealous, but rather proud and happy to see you get better. If I could do anything for anyone on this site, it would be, you come here get educated, get better and get on with your life and this is just something in the shadows of your life. Of course many of you I have made friends with and still want to chat with you, but not as frequently as you would be busy out living.

Cath, I think your post is important, in that many came here from trauma, nothing gradually over time. It helps them learn to not guard the injury once it is fixed. I mean you still have to follow doctors advice, but your not afraid to try things and see what will happen. But there are some the injury and pain is so fresh, it is hard not to guard. I also believe new members to this situation don't understand how strong their hardware is. But I know reading threads like this helps them learn, which is why they are so important.
  • advertisement
  • I def think we push ourselves everyday. Sometimes I am at work and the pain is horrifying, but I have to keep going. I only get low dose pain meds from clinic and that is it. There is no other choice. I rest when I get home.

But that is me. It is the will to do the work I love and support my family. I think that getting out of the house some, and having some outside the home relationships are important, and important for the healing process.

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.