Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

how long should this pain last/ is it serious?

neurodudenneurodude Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
so i've accumulated a lot of annoying injuries over the years but luckily i've avoided hurting my back until a couple weeks ago..

i was helping my boss flip over a very heavy table at work when afterwards i had a shooting pain in my back. the shooting pain went away in a day or two and i thought i was fine.

but now two weeks later, i still have a tiny bit of pain in my lower back when i try to touch my toes. there is still a little discomfort there and it really hasn't changed much since the really bad pain went away.

should i be worried about this? it is pretty minimal and doesn't affect me much but i just have no idea how long the pain/discomfort should last. i read that back pain can last 4-6 weeks. should i start worrying if i still have a little pain 2-4 weeks from now?

thank you for any advice!!
advertisement

Comments

• Hi Neurodude. You are right, it can take weeks for all discomfort to subside. I think at this point maybe a little heat or gentle stretches might help?

I was wondering if you should file a workplace injury/worker's comp. report just in case. You could be on record if your back continues to have issues.

Take a look around the site - it's a wealth of information.
    KarenD
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • KarenD said:
    Hi Neurodude. You are right, it can take weeks for all discomfort to subside. I think at this point maybe a little heat or gentle stretches might help?

I was wondering if you should file a workplace injury/worker's comp. report just in case. You could be on record if your back continues to have issues.

Take a look around the site - it's a wealth of information.
    thank you for the reply. :)

yes, heat does seem to help. using ice at this point is too late right?

ah, i was hoping i wouldn't have to file any worker's comp stuff. it seems rather complicated and for this being a summer job. plus, i'm moving in a couple days to grad school.

i just hope i don't have any permanent damage for injuring my back in a lame way!
  • advertisement
  • for ice. If it helps ease the pain, go for it! Sometimes using a combination of ice/heat is beneficial, too, just make sure you always end with heat. Use each for 10-15 minutes, for a couple of rotations. The ice will help with any swelling that could be there, and the heat will help relax the muscles (which is why you want to end with heat). If it gets any worse, go see your doctor, you don't want it to develop into anything worse. Good luck, and hope grad school goes well!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
This discussion has been closed.