Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

Never ending pain after Lamonectomy

heavywoodyhheavywoody Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Lower Back Pain
Hi, I wanted to know if anyone out there can relate to this or can maybe point me in the right direction. I was diagnosed with spinal stenosis with disk degeneration. So I had a lamonectomy on L4-L5. I noticed after surgery my left leg seemed better, but never my right side. In fact, worse. I have tried everything under the sun. TENS/EMS, Acupuncture. inversion table, Neurontin, physical therapy, chiropractors, injections, pain management. I have tried everything under the sun. So I gave up about seven years ago. But progressively, it seems to get worse.

So here is what happens. If I sit in a chair, within an hour I start to feel the inflammation in my back and it tightens. When I stand up, I feel nerve back in back and down right leg. And once this happens, I am done for the day. Ibprofen and Heating Pads can help. But the nerve pain is just terrible. I am afraid to move too fast or else I find myself on the group screaming with nerve pain. It only last 10 seconds or so, but it is worse pain ever. And this has gone on for years. Same thing if I stand up. It seems anything I do aggravates my back and that nerve pain starts. So I am thinking I need to talk to my doctor to get a referral to another orthopedic surgeon to see what can be done.

I should also add that years ago I had seen other orthopedic surgeons, they would do MRI or CAT scan, and tell me "I dont see anything we can do". So it is like nothing shows up. So I have no idea what to do!!! But as a single parent with an 8 year old girl, I am tired of being in pain and telling my daughter I can't do something. Can anyone relate or offer any advice? I dont know what causes the problems. I did reading and I wonder if my spine is unstable and maybe a fusion would help?
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. there are some very good nerve pain medications available so perhaps you should speak to your doctor about them.. i am surprised a doctor has not mentioned it to you! i use Lyrica for my sciatica and have never found anything to help me so much with it..you might also consider going back to see your surgeon and see what he has to say about the problem.. good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon! Jenny :)
  • Thanks for the kind words and advice. I have used neurontin before and it had zero affect.

I guess what I try to figure out is whether it is normal for people, after surgery, to constantly have that kind of pain? Or is that uncommon? I basically cannot work at a desk job because I cannot sit for more then 90 minutes without the back becoming twisted and tightened and nerve pain startinng.

Unfortunate, I live in a different city so I cannot see my surgeon. Can't even remember his name!
  • advertisement
  • I had a laminectomy and fusion and do not experience the pain you are describing. You should make an appointment with a good Neuro doc.
  • I had an ADR at l4-5 and I have the nerve pain constantly. I also use the same modalities without the neurontin . Tried the lyrics that works on the nerve pain but made me a zombie so stopped taking it . Lidocaine patches help take the edge off but don't eradicate the pain. I have to just plan my day around my pain. Keep the spasms under control and that helps some. I'm sorry I wish i had more to helP. Good luck
  • I had sugery on my S1-L5 with hardware put in and a plstic disc. I am 6mon. in and I am in pain still. It is worse at night. I sneeze or cough it hurts so bad. The DR. says everything looks good. My right side and both hips hurt all day. The lower back feels like a giant weight with sharp pain. I do not know what to do? Of course physical therapy they ordered agan. I feel like I did before surgery. I feel like the DR. does not believe me. Its like I am starting over physical therapy,injections then surgery.
    lisa dumensil
  • advertisement
  • i kept telling my back doctor that my left leg and foot was killing me .he said nothing .just said give the fusion time.so i did and he done a milgram with contrast july 29 2011 and low and behold my fusion is cracked and a bone or spure has broke and flipped around into my nerve's.contrast showed it all .but mri nor cat scan showed this..so ide ask about milgram with contrast.that be good start.
    wonder why your doctor never gave you 1? gl hope you get to feeling better and find out
  • i kept telling my back doctor that my left leg and foot was killing me .he said nothing .just said give the fusion time.so i did and he done a milgram with contrast july 29 2011 and low and behold my fusion is cracked and a bone or spure has broke and flipped around into my nerve's.contrast showed it all .but mri nor cat scan showed this..so ide ask about milgram with contrast.that be good start.
    wonder why your doctor never gave you 1? gl hope you get to feeling better and find out
  • I had a laminectomy/discectomy in 08 which made my pain worse. I got my weight right down and did physio for several months but couldn't take any more. I ended up having a fusion in 09, and it's given me my life back again. I still have degeneration at other levels and so I'm not pain free, but the fusion has taken away all the leg pain. I ended up retiring earlier than I'd hoped because I couldn't sit for long without pain. I can sit for about an hour or so now.

I had spondylolisthesis. The surgeon didn't correct the slippage but put in a large cage with plate and screws (anterior fusion). I learnt a lot from this forum on how to cope with the long recovery period. There are bending-lifting-twisting restrictions and you will need help from family and friends with your young daughter and the house. I had a domestic service come in once a week. I was on my own with two large dogs. I had friends pop in regularly and they cheered me up heaps.

Fusion may be the answer for you, but talk to a neurosurgeon and he/she may be able to help you.

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.