Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Myotherapy for chronic pain

kneubertkkneubert Posts: 8
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Chronic Pain
Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any success with myotherapy for chronic muscle pain. It is a specific type of deep trigger point work with exercises to carry over the work being done. This is what they call the Bonnie Prudden method. I have had chronic neck/shoulder pain for over 3 years. DDD in 3 discs in the neck with some bone spurs but nothing is bad enough for surgery. Nothing has helped; 2 epidural injections, 3 sets of trigger point injections, acupuncture, cranial sachral therapy, myofacial release, massage therapy, physical therapy, and postural restoration therapy. Then they think it is stress and all in your head so tell you to try counseling. Flexeril and vicodin meds and epsom salt lotion and neurontion lotion are the best things that have helped other than exercise and moist heat. Everything, of course is temporary. I am considering this myotherapy but it is pretty spendy. Any thoughts out there?
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

I have Ankylosing Spondylitis which causes chronic severe pain through the whole spine and sacrum and neck.

Here are my recommendations:

1) First and foremost, find an open minded and non opioid-phobic Pain Medicine doctor or Center (Multidisciplinary centers associated with Universities are usually the best).
    Make sure the M.D. will prescribe a long acting Opioid medication for your chronic pain condition ( I take 200mg Kadian twice daily).

2) At a good behavioral management center, they usually have great Psychologists that deal specific with Chronic Pain. Learning techniques like guided imagery, self hypnosis, structured breathing, etc.. helped me tremendously.

3) Get a great Psychiatrist!
    Mine has worked with me "outside the box" in prescribing medications such as Ritalin and Klonopin for neuropathic pain and to ensure critical sleeping habits.

4) For me, Lidoderm 5% patches work great!!!
    Also, get a comfortable chair, bed, or anything that pulses, vibrates, and emits heat. Interupting the pain signals and stopping ionic fluxing can be a tremendous help. Both above things work together.

Hope this helps you as it has for me, it has been a frustrating process (as you already know!!) but in the long run I think the above recommendations will work for you the way they have for me for the last 14 years.

Last but not least:
    5) Music, movies, and anything that activates endorphines naturally always works wonders for me.

========================================================================================================
    kneubert said:
    Hello - I was wondering if anyone had any success with myotherapy for chronic muscle pain. It is a specific type of deep trigger point work with exercises to carry over the work being done. This is what they call the Bonnie Prudden method. I have had chronic neck/shoulder pain for over 3 years. DDD in 3 discs in the neck with some bone spurs but nothing is bad enough for surgery. Nothing has helped; 2 epidural injections, 3 sets of trigger point injections, acupuncture, cranial sachral therapy, myofacial release, massage therapy, physical therapy, and postural restoration therapy. Then they think it is stress and all in your head so tell you to try counseling. Flexeril and vicodin meds and epsom salt lotion and neurontion lotion are the best things that have helped other than exercise and moist heat. Everything, of course is temporary. I am considering this myotherapy but it is pretty spendy. Any thoughts out there?
  • There is something to be said about stress. I've been dealing with chronic pain for almost 2 years now and had ACDF in February this year. The surgery helped with some of the pain, but I was told that the pain I have now is not related to my cervical issues. My pain is only on the left side and I was told by an acupuncturist and chiropractor that the pain is from the fact that I have a shorter leg, possibly due to scoliosis. I am seeing an acupuncturist who does dry needling on trigger points. His theory is that over the 42 years of my life, my body has been compensating with the upper back and neck muscles on the left side and most likely the cause of my spine issues as well.

Stress definitely pushed me over the edge. I had some occasional pain in the past, but I was under a high level of stress for a year before everything blew up. I wish you luck with finding a solution for your pain!
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • advertisement
This discussion has been closed.