Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Panic Attacks and Depression

nurselynnaiennurselynnaie Posts: 167
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:55 AM in Depression and Coping
Hi everyone, I am having such severe panic attacks since my last doctors appointment. They are getting worse the closer the surgeon appointment gets which is tomorrow morning at 7:30. I am so depressed I do not want to move I can't even smile I kind of stare out into space and don't even think I am thinking of anything. I am scared and although I have my family I am lonely. I am worried about who is going to do everything if this surgeon says it has to be done asap and the recovery oh god I remember the recovery with with the first two surgeries. Ohhhhhh I am dreading everything.
My oldest son decided to pick now to pick up and move away with my two grandchildren they lived with me .. I am missing them so bad. Kadence my 2 year old grand daughter use to say grandma I take care of you I am miserable and my family is suffering. Has anyone ever been so miserable that you can't even stand yourself, because that is how I feel right now.
advertisement

Comments

• Check out the article on questions to ask your Surgeon just do a search in the blue box above to find it on Spine Health. If you have the article or hand written questions you will be busy with your hands to ask the surgeon questions and pen in some answers he gives you and that way you're not always looking at the Dr. It would be good if you had someone else to go with you if possible.

Take some deep breaths to help relax you while you're there and most Drs are aware of some people's anxiety to have surgery and should make you feel comfortable after all he's there to help you.

I hope if you need surgery again he will probably order more tests and you could prepare for surgery by arranging to have a family member stay with you if possible but let your Dr. know if you haven't anyone to help you.

I was lucky to be put on Cymbalta to help the nerve and back pain but it also helps with depression for me and I've also taken Wellbutrin also so speak with your Family Dr. about how you're feeling. You may just need something to relax you if your Dr. thinks it's right for you. It's understandable you could be anxious if you'll need surgery and worrying about tomorrow's visit so we're here to listen and support you through it and the unknown can be scary indeed.

Please let us know how it goes tomorrow. Saying a prayer. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • I so know your pain of suffering from anxiety. I have ptsd, general anxiety and social anxiety disorders (along with depression). Have you spoken to your pcp about it? I know the last thing any of us wants is to add another med to our daily med cocktails, but it could be something that might help you, and anti-depressant. I've tried effexor (worked great, but side effects weren't all that great) citalopram, escitalopram and have now been on Cymbalta since last October. Honestly, the cymbalta has been the best for me, I've felt great since being on it, and, it's also prescribed for neuropathy as well, so it's like the old saying "killing two birds with one stone".

Sorry to hear that your son and grandkids have moved away, the house must feel really empty without them. My bf just moved away for work as well, and will be seeing my ns about another upcoming surgery on Tuesday, so I can totally relate to the "empty nest" feeling and anxiety about upcoming surgery and being alone for recovery.

Anyways, I would suggest talking to your doctor about this as soon as you can. And don't forget, you have all of us here to talk to and help you get through everything as well! Take care;
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • advertisement
  • Chary I was put on cymbalta after my second surgery and it works wonders helped with the pain so much that all i had to take other then that was Advil. So, I went to my PCP who I just got when I moved up here a year ago, he says oh your cymbalta isnt working your Bipolar is not being controlled. I started laughing and said I am not on Cymbalta for depression or Bipolar ( although it does help with my depression if the pain gets crazy) I said plz I just need something for anxiety to help with the panic attacks I need Klonopin ( I took that when I was married to my abusive x husband, panic attacks would start when he came home from work) After the divorce they disappeared. Haven't needed it in years, anyway lol I got off subject, He refused to give me them said they are addicting, I then said who cares if this pain doesn't go away and I don't start feeling less panic I am gonna kill myself (joking ) and he still refused and offered me Seroquel. I am a nurse and I know the side effects especially if it isn't a medication you need. Needless to say I left there in a full blown panic attack and have been using benadryl to relax me it helps some. Makes me sleep alot.

Kelly I am so sorry you can relate to the empty nest syndrome thing it is killing me. I know kids grow up and move on, but I have been a mom since I was 17, when my kids started not needing me so much there were they grandkids. I feel like I have to be needed and when I am not I am lost. Guess thats why I am a nurse and now I can't even do that ... it is so frustrating. Good luck Tuesday at your appointment.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    ...and the response from your doc.
    Sometimes I go to see my doc and he completely understands, next time..it's like my appointment is an inconvienence. That's an instant "I hate myself" moment...and recipe for adding to panic over situation..now extra heaping of "no suport for you" panic. "I'll take a double of panic for my aloneness in my pain."

So, I guess the better thing for me to say and think...is to say the same thing over and over until you feel heard. Like explain your symptoms and you just need something during this transition.

You, as a nurse, would know better than I, but I wonder if some of the pharm co...have anything to do with what doc wants to use or not use.

But if you are left to your own unmedicated thoughts..do try to stay calm...the improtance of just breathing..having calm thoughts of the unknown.

Let everyone know how you are after and continue to ask for something to help calm you through this time. I know it's easier said than done.

You're in my thoughts and prayers!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I loved your post it made me feel better. I will continue to drive allmy doctors nuts lol ...Yes they do have to do with what doctors give , ever see the sample rooms where they keep the medicine that they give you to start. Medication company's send reps to talk to doctors and give them samples to hand out and push their medications. My first nursing job was in a doc office and those reps provide awesome lunches. I finally got another appointment with my doctor on friday and I am not leaving until he gives me what I need. I also got a letter from the surgeon because I tried to get him to give me something for panic and of course they don't do that but he said he could understand and agreed with me so he would absolutely support me in getting medicated properly. I notice that my pain gets so much worse when I start to have anxiety. I am starting to accept my situation and adjust, however my mental breakdowns are taking a toll on my family I feel so bad for them. Has anyone ever been so miserable and not be able to stand there self ? U know what I mean ?
    Thanks and you to will be in my prayers
  • advertisement
    I have friends who just regular MD gives them whatever they want..valium anyone?

And then there's people like us. Crazy making!

And I TOTALLY get your suffering and depression.
    I have therapist appt and I have note to remind myself to ask....I think I am Borderline Personality Disorder.
    I can't stand myself...or others...the pain..the NOONE understanding no matter how many times and ways I try to say it.

And constantly being told...suggestions..of what I need to do to be better...because it can't just be that I am living in another dimension!

Wow...Sorry...but..yeah, I have similiar struggles! :)

I pray for you and all on this site. The only place
    to find any understanding...and even so..when depression overwhelming..I isolate from here, also.

Sue
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

...even before the horrific pain that is today.. I had severe migraines all my life.
    That and life throwing me curves... childhood and since... that I didn't bounce back from very well ..I needed professional help.

I've had three "breakdowns" in my life...but I've learned to reframe it as "reinventng myself".

My family, also, struggled with my difficulties. I don't have any answers.But I can't help but think that when we take care of ourselves the best we can with whatever situation...that the ones we love will benefit, also.

I think of it as putting the oxygen mask on myself first to better be there for others.
    There will be a time when all you are enduring will be useful to someone else...and so on.

For all you are going through and sharing on this site... you have helped me already.. to feel so not alone with my thoughts. That's huge! Thank you
    Sue

Just following up..like from my therapist and saying I hate everyone...like BPD.

She reassured me I am normal...and pain and the aloneness of that..is overwhelming.
    And I really don't hate. It's frustration that with the pain...relationships are difficult to deal wth.

So, I'm normal. And that's another reason I love this site. It's good to meet others who truly understand and are normal, also. :)

So we keep on!
    Sue

• My PCP is so sweet. After my second surgery he would keep asking, "HOW are you doing"? I would smile and say fine. A year later, I am having depression and anxiety, and not sleeping. He just smiled and said, "I thought we would have this conversation before now". Apparently, it is common for people who have been through a traumatic physical event to suffer from some form of depression.

I consider myself still young :-) Last year I almost died during surgery #1, ended up in the hospital another week after that with complications, and had terrible withdrawal after surgery #2 four months later. During that time I was fired from my job of 10yrs and then my only child recently moved away for school. It is a lot all at once!

It is okay to need to take of yourself sometimes, and to say that "I need help". I'm not one to relish in not being well, or abuse the system. Just looking forward to feeling better mentally AND physically. :-)
  • nurselynnaie said:
    Hi everyone, I am having such severe panic attacks since my last doctors appointment. They are getting worse the closer the surgeon appointment gets which is tomorrow morning at 7:30. I am so depressed I do not want to move I can't even smile I kind of stare out into space and don't even think I am thinking of anything. I am scared and although I have my family I am lonely. I am worried about who is going to do everything if this surgeon says it has to be done asap and the recovery oh god I remember the recovery with with the first two surgeries. Ohhhhhh I am dreading everything.
    My oldest son decided to pick now to pick up and move away with my two grandchildren they lived with me .. I am missing them so bad. Kadence my 2 year old grand daughter use to say grandma I take care of you I am miserable and my family is suffering. Has anyone ever been so miserable that you can't even stand yourself, because that is how I feel right now.

i do understand what you are going though my husband get these every day about10 hes on beta blockers as well and they are not working just dont know how to help him with these no more he as mood swings as well i think it could be to do with the tablets he on people say that its only panic and he will get out of it
advertisement