Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L5 nerve root sciatica

Comments

• From what I have read and considering my own painful experience with sciatica (caused by bulging disc), I can imagine that pregnancy could be very excruciating if there is a back problem. So do get a diagnosis on your pain beforehand if you can!! Such as an MRI scan. Then talk to your doctor about having a baby.

Most sciatica or bulging disc or lower back problems are treated and prevented with appropriate exercising, which you need to research and learn (preferably with an experienced therapist, at least initially). I should think that these same exercises, along with the practice of yoga for instance, are also suitable for pregnancy and preparation for giving birth (of course check with your doc!), in which case you should start right away!

Treatment also consists of anti-inflammatories and painkillers which enable you to practice the necessary exercises and give your back a chance to heal. None is good for your body as it is (except for taking the edge off pain), so you might not want to dope yourself up with these once you're pregnant!! so again do find out what causes your pain.

Only serious problems will require an op, a bulging disc that becomes herniated for instance. There are a few types of surgery. But you shouldn't get there if you're cared for at an early stage.

You are wise to seek information first. I wish I had taken my sciatica more seriously when it started, it was so mild that I didn't expect to end up pinned to the floor 20 hours a day six months later. Take the right steps and you should be fine :)
  • My Apologies for getting back to you members so late. I had seen a Chiropractor and was diagnosed with Scoliosis. I was lucky that i'm only suffering from a minor one. My spine was slightly curved to the left causing the aching at my left knee, thigh and buttocks. My left leg was slightly longer than my right. This might due to the habit of me crossing my leg. I started the treatment 3 weeks ago, every once a week. And I was given a hot and cold therapy (ultrasound) after every session of adjustment. After my 1st visit, I can feel the improvement as in I don't feel anymore aching at my lower back when I wake up in the morning. This was amazing. Today I went for my 3rd treatment and my doc said that I'm official discharged for adjustment and only need to come back for another 2 more rounds of ultrasound. I knew I will be discharge because I feel the significant changed. Thank you guys for giving me so much advices over the past few weeks. Now the only worried was whether i can successful claim the total bill from my insurance. :)
  • advertisement