Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

please help me

Joan62JJoan62 Posts: 21
i have a disc bulge l5 only just discovered. After a long car journey i had a terrible pain down my back and about a week after developed a limp and dropfoot. I was 7 months pregnant. A few weeks later i was on my hands and knees cleaning on the bathroom floor which is cold and hard when my toes suddenly curled under and i had to pull them straight. I got a lot of buttock pain and around my sacroiliac area and low back. After i had my baby naturally no epidural my buttock pain went but my limp is worse and the pain is still there in the other places although not all the time. My leg is worse . . I cant lift it and calf is atrophied no strength in my foot toes still curl, cant stand on heel or tiptoes. I have no balance i cant take care of my baby. Is all of this due to a disc? Physio thinks the disc might be irritating sciatic nerve. My foot is always cold to the touch too but warms up in bed. Im so scared. Thankyou for reading. Im 40 by the way it was my 5th baby and i only had the 4th last year. Im rather short and my babies have all been over 8ib. Yesterday i had first traction treatment at hospital. Dont know if it will help.
advertisement

Comments

• i should add that this began 6 months ago when i was 7 months pregnant. My foot feels like im walking on sponge too but when my baby was 2 weeks old i couldnt put my foot on the floor it was so sensitive it just used to bounce back and although my leg is hard to lift it feels light and wobbly at times and i have trouble placing it.
  • Welcome to spine health. Congrats on baby number 5!
    Sorry that you are dealing with issues with your leg. You said that you have a disc bulge at L5, did you have an MRI, and if so how long ago?

Your issues with your leg sound very similiar to mine. I too would have my toes curling under (I called it the "claw" )and would have a cold, wet feeling in my foot. My foot post surgery is always cold, and is numb all over as well as my outer shin.

Have you had any other testing, such as an emg?Especially dealing with weakness, and muscle atrophy.

Are you under the care of a spine fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

So glad that you have joined. You have a very busy life I am sure, with 5 children. I am also 40, but my children are much older. Please keep pushing for answers, see about more testing if you can.Look forward to hearing more from you.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • advertisement
  • Thanks karen. My life was busy yeh but its spent lying on top my sons bed now just up and down stairs several times an hour. Its not just a cold feeling it is very very cold but when i get into my own bed it warms up. Good to hear bout the toes though. Theyre numb and have no strength so i have to keep footwear on to stop them curling. Hard floors really set them off. I just find it so difficult to think that a disc can cause all this stuff.
  • Thanks karen. My life was busy yeh but its spent lying on top my sons bed now just up and down stairs several times an hour. Its not just a cold feeling it is very very cold but when i get into my own bed it warms up. Good to hear bout the toes though. Theyre numb and have no strength so i have to keep footwear on to stop them curling. Hard floors really set them off. I just find it so difficult to think that a disc can cause all this stuff.
  • advertisement
  • did you limp too karen my leg feels so weak? Im desperate. Im sick of feeling wierd and wobbly. Its really got me down. No one else has responded so im feeling even more scared now. My physio has asked a radiologist to look at my scan to see if i need another one. Ive now had 2 treatments of traction but dont know when i can expect to see results.
  • Hello Joan, I'm sorry that you are having these issues, but please try not to let the fear overwhelm you. I have no idea what is causing your problems, but because this started in your seventh month of pregnancy, I'm thinking it has something to do with the added pressure on your spine that maybe didn't happen in your other pregnacies, but now age has become a factor. Though still young, not considered so in the childbirth age age range. It sounds to me as if you need to get some tests done to find the source of what is causing your symptoms. The lumbar region of your spine can cause symptoms in your feet. Hopefully your Dr/s will send you for an MRI to see what may be going on in there.

I wish you the best, and congratulations on your 5th child [I often wish that I had had more babies].
  • you are feeling scared. I too go through periods of being scared, helpless, frustrated. I do walk with a limp, and my left foot now points straight to inward, where before it pointed outwards.

I walk with a cane, and found that that helps, especially with getting up from a sitting position, as well as when my leg feels weak.

Glad that your physio is having a radiologist look at your scans. Have you seen a spine fellowship trained orthopedic or neurosurgeon?

Don't give up searching for answers, there are lots of different tests that can be done.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thankyou so much for your replies. I haven seen anyone but my physio who is looking into the possibility of another mri. Things have certainly worsened since childisth. Last year i had a heavy feeling in my legs and it hurt to stand for long in my lower back but that was after baby no 4 and it seemed to improve but then i got pregnant with baby 5 and all this happened. Im wondering. . Could the same disc cause bilateral leg weakness then get better then worsen to cause more severe problems in only one leg?
  • I am in quite a bit of pain tonight and virtually had to drag myself up the stairs. Does traction usually make things a little worse? Had my second one yesterday. I drag myself around sometimes but it was a bit worse than usual and the pain is definately worse.
advertisement