Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

making a mountain out of a mole hill

backache99backache99 Posts: 1,314
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Depression and Coping
hi all
i don't know about you guys/girls but i have found that the slightest thing that would not have bothered me years ago now causes me so much worry and i can't relax ..for example as some of you know i am having my bathroom converted into a partial wet room in anticipation of my ALIF operation .so i have had to have workmen rip out o perfectly good shower enclosure and fit a lower stone base and new enclosure ..the first trades man {HA HA} made a right mess of it and i have had to get real trades men in to redo the whole thing again ..my wife is taking it all in her stride but me ..i am flapping around like a mad man! i don't like other people doing things in my home {because once i could have done almost any job being a trained trades person myself..its hard watching others do a job ..and just hoping that they do it to your standard {in my case that's very high as i was tutored well}.so here they are two young lads ripping out my bathroom handling thousands of pound worth of kit and i am like a man possessed !! i just hope they do a good job ..so i can relax ..i am already 300 pounds down in new materials {due to the cock up that the other idiot make}.its the same with anyhting now .i have found that being stuck inside all the time {with the odd exception \} i can't cope with any hassle ..i just wondered if any one else was like this ?? i have not patience for idiots and don't suffer fool well at all ..i think because i am in pain and don't sleep and i am worried about the ALIF my mind is not in a good place ...
tony
1997 laminectomy
2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
advertisement

Comments

• I am /was a pretty relaxed person not much bothered me. I get irritated easily now, very easily and quickly. I don't like it. I think with chronic pain we all have limits with dealing with stupidity and laziness where before we would be like really are you kidding me now we are like What the .... and are quick to say something. Thats me anyway, but you on the other hand, I think have reason. I think even I before the pain would be a basket case if someone was tearing apart my bathroom because I was having a major surgery and I was worried if it was done right.
    Thats a big project even if your not in pain. I see it with me if I walk into my work place to give them updates and the residents see me they almost attack me to complain about everything and that just makes me so irritated cuz I know if I was there they wouldnt have half the complaints just like you know if you were doing your bathroom it would be done right and to your standards.
    I think it is normal...
    I hope they finish the bathroom soon and to your standards so you can focus on getting ready to get better ..:)
  • Sorry to hear about the first guys wasting and wrecking your bathroom. Hopefully these new guys will do the right job. I guess it's hard not to want to watch them working after a bad experience? I know it's hard by try not to stress and if Kath isn't worried you need to relax if you can. You have a lot going on and the big surgery. I hope if the guys aren't working today you can enjoy the day and wish you a low pain day. Thinking of you and hope you get to shower in there soon. When will they be finished? Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • advertisement
  • the new guys have been here since 8am and thy have not stopped ..they found some many problems .like wet walls from the idiots work so they have had to rip out all the plaster board and redo it with a special wet room plaster board .and if we would have left it much longer we would had water running down the hall walls ! they are having problems getting the centre cap on the mermaid panels in because the house is 100 years old and the walls are out of true .so they are up there now tyring to figure it out .the tiler is here on sunday .the house is a tip ! i am just hiding in my room watching the tv .i just want it doing and for everyone to go away
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Hang in there Tony. Just know how awesome it will be when it is completed :) Sorry about being ripped off by a poor contractor. I didn't know that type of thing happened across the pond. It is really common here in the states.

We are thinking of doing something similar in our extra bathroom (putting in a deep jetted tub and a small sauna) next spring/summer.

I have to keep my eye on the prize and try to let the rest drop away.

Julie
  • That's odd as my experience is directly opposite yours! I used to be a real perfectionist at work; I had to be as I work in a Blood Bank. Little things like sloppy work, illegible handwriting, and silly mistakes used to set me off! Then, as my back problems began I also began backing off from my "Always Mr Right" attitude.

The more my pain grew the less attention I paid to the little things that co-workers and other people do that used to annoy me. I began to develop a more tolerant attitude towards others. This was especially true as I had to let others do more of the things for me that I used to do myself.

In short my back problems have forced me to become more tolerant of others (family, friends, co-workers, and even strangers). My pain medications also slow me down to the point that I can be a bit more relaxed than before. I now find that getting riled up about someone's mistake (including my own) takes more effort than I feel is worthwhile.
    Disability retirement
  • advertisement
  • OMG
    they say lightning doesn't strike twice ..it dose
    yes the new plumber has made a pigs ear of my bathroom i can't believe it !!! why me ??
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
  • Tony, bless your heart! I think you're normal.. The problem with knowing you've got a major spine fusion coming,hurting really bad is enough to make anyone go "Postal". ((Crazy, in the US)). I am suppost to be having an ALIF Oct.17,(if my insurance ok's it). I just found out this passed Tuesday. Between getting!! all the things done the surgeons told me to do, plus getting my home,personal business( not to mention,worry, brings more pain) I think my head is spinning(kind of like I'm possessed!!! The very thought of workers remodeling a bath,so so stressful. I'm getting upset for you!!! But, the thought of you hiding in your bedroom ( made me smile, cause, I'd be hiding also).
    People, always say relax. It's really hard,when you know you could do a better job. On top of that, you know you'd do a better job!!! Hang in there, you'll love it when they're through!!!...Take care,Brenda C.

Oo l

• Tony,

I can feel your frustration! I went through similar with my roof replacement after Hurricane Wilma. The first crew came by, stripped the roof, put on new felt and left. They were suppose to come back in a week to shingle the roof - stole my shingles and disappeared!

Since my insurance company was the original 'recommender' of these thief's, they came and shrink wrapped my roof until full repairs could be made. Big time frustrating. And yeah, I think "pride" in the trades is not as it use to be!! I hope you're feeling better today.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • kath and i spent two hours last night cleaning off the silicone that the so called professional builder has left all over my new 1000 pound shower enclosure .then we tried to put right some of the mistakes they made .the trouble is the young kids today 18 30 year old have no DIY skils ..if it doesn't fit the first time then they just botch it up and hope for the best ..when i was training to be an electrician i was tutored very well and told second best is not good enough {especially when working in the customer house and it a finished product in it should look nice } i have very high standards but it looks like the young trades men dont ..he did stupid things like use massive screws to hold a piece of 8mm plywood to the wall then wondered why the detective screw cover would not fit ..so i took them all out and fitted the correct use ..and the covers now fit ..then because its a silicone free system {mermaid panel instead of tiles} they used silicon in the corner because they could not it fit .i have tried to make it fit but its still not up to my satisfaction .i even went through a how to do it lesson with them before they even started and told then if you aren't sure ASK ME before you do anything..they did not .then to make matters worse the riser rail that's the pole that the shower head fixed on to ..they fixed it far too low!!! they are supposed to ask the customer how high do you want it??? so now i am going to have to get some decorative screws and fill in the holes that they have made ..in my new panel that i have had to purchase twice at 170 pounds! .i am so mad and upset .they were supposed to be proffesionals ..no way ....i just hope that the boss can come up with a solution ..its a mess .and i can't do any more myself and i have no more money .in total its cost me 3000 pounds .and more.i have had to borrow all the money and now i have had to ask my mother in law for more money ..i can't believe its happened again ..this job was supposed to be a nice thing and i though by using wet wall panels it would make kaths job easier to keep clean as there is no grout or silicon ...
    tony
    1997 laminectomy
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
advertisement