Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Lump in throat?

Comments

• Hello Sandy,

Nice to meet you! Thanks for your response. I really hope you are feeling better today and as each day passes. I hope this pain subsides after your surgery. Are the spasms painful or just really bothersome? This thing in my throat is not really painful but does bother me quite alot. It makes me feel like my throat is closing up on me. It is getting much worse now as days go by. I am becoming more careful as to what I ingest. I do hope that you have a good outcome. I am still playing the guessing game. Have a nice evening. Wishing you well.

Gracie
  • Having a lump in throat is not normal. It usually signifies that something is wrong with you and your throat. Most commonly, it is a sign that your muscle was strained or tightened or it could be a sign of viral or bacterial infection. You will know that you have a lump in throat by these following signs and symptoms:

* Sore throat
    * Obstructed feeling in the throat
    * Swollen throat
    * Bumpy sensation accompanied with painful lump in throat
    * Difficulty in breathing
    * Difficulty in swallowing
    * Roughness feeling in throat
  • advertisement
  • Hi there,

Thanks for your help. I do not think that I have an infection nor anything like strept or a cough /cold. It is not swollen, or sore. I seem to be breathing fine.

I will check this out with my PD in a few weeks and if it were to get worse would call sooner.

I do believe the cause is from my cervical problems. Nothing is actually getting stuck. It just feels like a lump.

Anyone else with neck problems have this before surgery?

Gracie
  • Hi Gracie, I've heard of many people having the feeling of a lump in their throat after surgery. You keep swallowing feeling like something is there. I had it starting at day 4 and it stopped about day 9 for me. When I went in for my wound ck at 2 weeks the doc told me it was completely normal for ACDF. And it was rare that I only had it for a few days. He said quite often people have it for a month, sometimes longer. It depends on how long the windpipe is extended for each level. I had 3 fused. I do have food getting stuck half way, usually breads or pills. Again, very normal. But definitely any questions, call the surgeons office and talk to the nurse. I had on my list when leaving the hospital if I felt that I was having problems breathing, or that so much food got stuck that I had a hard time swallowing it. For me, with any liquid it quickly goes down. But I have also heard of infections that require you to go back in hospital. I would call to be safe.. Good luck

Sandy
  • Gracie, I started taking cymbalta a week ago...it took exactly two days and I started feeling like I have a lump in my throat...not painful but I do notice that I cough up alot of bits of food and liquid...I have had c1 c2 laminectomies and sever torticollis...however I did NOT have this lump until I started taking the drug...it seem every med I have tried that has NRI as mechanisms of action does the same thing..it usually takes a week or so for lump to go away.
  • advertisement
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.