Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Still pain at 7 months post-op

Lili_InuLLili_Inu Posts: 633
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:56 AM in Recovering from Surgery
So here's the story. Had my follow-up with NS yesterday at 7 months post-op from an ACDF at C5/6. NS says that I'm completely fused and released me to a physiatrist; my first appointment will be in mid October. He says that the pain I'm still experiencing is muscular and is most likely chronic. The pain is in my left shoulders, neck and upper back into the shoulder blade.

I've tried PT and swimming which seemed to have helped during the summer. Then I did something that set me back about a month. Started PT again and swimming around 2 weeks ago with some improvement. How long did it take with PT before the pain was considerably reduced?

How many of you with the same surgery continue to get pain after the surgeon released you? Did your pain ever really go away or were you able to find a way to manage that pain? I'm going a little crazy not knowing if I will be stuck with this pain forever! :S
2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
advertisement

Comments

• Lili,
    I am so sorry to hear you sre still having pain. I had a posterior C1/C2 fusion in April and am having more pain now than before surgery. Unlike you, my fusion did not take.
    I started PT two weeks after surgery, and it helped a lot with muscle spasms and pain. The heat, ice, and electrical stimulation helped so much for me, and I hope it brings you some relief.
    Are you on pain medication still? Hang in there, I hope your pain resolves!
    Monica
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • Monica, thanks for your reply! I'm sorry to hear that you are in more pain than before surgery. Maybe I shouldn't be complaining because my pain is not worse than before surgery.

I'm not on pain meds and never really was. Guess my high tolerance for pain got me into all this trouble! Under NS's orders, I'm going to take Advil for 3 days to see if it helps with pain.

You still have time to fuse. Did your surgeon say that there is sign of bone growth? I do hope you fuse soon! :)
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • advertisement
  • My surgeon ordered a bone growth stimulator a month ago, but due to insurance 'issues' I just got it a week ago. I wear it 4 hours a day. He said it is not fusing, so I assume no bone growth. I wonder how I can grow bone spurs but not enough bone to fuse....hmmmm.
    I also have a high tolerance for pain, but the 24/7 feeling that some one had hit me in the back of the head with a baseball bat, has my head in a vice, and is stabbing me in the temples finally wore on me. I fought the drs for a long time because I don't want to take meds, but I realized I need my sanity. :-)
    Hope you heal quickly and your pain resolves!
    Monica
    April 2011 C1-C2 Fusion (Brooks wiring)
    January 2012 C1-C2 Revision Fusion (Harms Technique)
    2010 - current: Trigger Point Injections, Epidural Injections, Bilateral C2-C3 Radiofrequency Ablations
  • Just a thought...are you taking calcium supplements to increase bone growth? Sorry you had to wait so long to get your bone growth stimulator. I started wearing mine around 2 weeks post-op and am so glad I did.

I completely understand the 24/7 pain. My pain level never stays that high all the time. Most of my pain is really in the shoulder blades, but I get the worst headaches and dizziness that leaves me very irritable.

What meds are you on? Do they help? Keep me posted on your progress! :)
advertisement