Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery time for bulging disc C5-C6?

Comments

• BlessedMom74BBlessedMom74 Posts: 322
    edited 08/30/2015 - 5:07 PM
    But I had a herniated disc at C4/5 after a rear ending collision and tried conservative treatment of PT and chiropractic for over a year as well as epidural injections. After 19 months I ended up having a single level fusion surgery. I was always in pain and my quality of life was slowly deteriorating. If you're not getting any better it's time to talk to a neurosurgeon and get another professional opinion. Your next step may be surgery. If the disc hasn't healed by now, it probably won't heal.
  • I have had nine years of the pain, many years in pain management. Some days it isn't as bad as other days, after such a long period it is surprising what you can/have to live with. Having said that the symptoms only seem to worsen over time and an operation is what you keep thinking about when the pain is really bad. Sorry to say I don't think they will get better after a long period of time. In the UK they want you to live with the horror unless you can no longer use your arm or have severe cord compression. There are days I feel they would see you die before they would help you...it isn't an easy condition to live with.
  • advertisement
  • serenetansserenetan Posts: 2
    edited 09/20/2015 - 2:18 AM
    hi all, i am 31 year old female from singapore. discovered my c5 c6 slipped disc 3 years ago. discovered i had spondylolythesis 2 years ago and had a surgery to fix that. symptoms for my cervical slipped disc have been returning at least once a year. i have been going for physiotherapy once a week for almost a year. things were looking up until i had a fall a month ago. mri shows not much changes but my pain, numbness has moved from my left side to the both sides. sometimes, the pain in my wrist are so intense i can't write properly.

i am back on lyrica and doc mentioned last week that i may need surgery since it's been flaring up every year. i am mixed about going for surgery. on one hand, i hope that surgery can wake me up from this nightmare that i've been having, yet on the other many has been telling me to hold back surgery unless it is absolutely necessary. well, the question is how do we know when it will be necessary? i used to do sports and dance but now i am feel so restricted. sigh...

glad to have found this forum, at least i know you guys understand what i'm going through. sometimes, i just feel so alone in this.
    i know everyone's condition differs and there's one solution to what we face, guess i just needed an outlet to rant.

wishing the rest of us in this forum good health.

please click on link for helpful information
    welcome to spine-health
    liz -spine-health moderator
  • Ask yourself this question. Is my quality of life progressively deteriorating? For me the answer was yes, so I knew surgery was my next option. I had tried every conservative option, yet my quality of life continued to deteriorate due to severe pain. So for for me the decision to have surgery was a no brainer.
  • serenetansserenetan Posts: 2
    edited 09/21/2015 - 12:24 AM
    BlessedMom74 said:
    Ask yourself this question. Is my quality of life progressively deteriorating? For me the answer was yes, so I knew surgery was my next option. I had tried every conservative option, yet my quality of life continued to deteriorate due to severe pain. So for for me the decision to have surgery was a no brainer.
    Thanks BlessedMom74 for your advice. I guess I have been trying very hard to come to terms with the adjustments I had to make to my life with my current condition. Whats frustrating is, it always seems like its getting better before it plunges into greater pain.

What surgery did you had and are yous still having pain?
  • advertisement
  • When I was coming to terms with the possibility of surgery for some reason I would have a week where pain was minimal, I could do some activities, and I would think " this isn't so bad, I can live like this, I don't need surgery" and then two days later the pain would come back like a tsunami and my thoughts were "I wish I could have surgery tomorrow, I can't live like this anymore!"
    Something about the spine that is so unpredictable. There is no consistency before surgery and from what I have read and experienced myself, there is no consistency after surgery either. It's a roller coaster. But it does get better.
    To answer your question, I had ACDF at C4/5. I am 20 weeks post op and am almost pain free. Most days are minimal. Like 1-2 pain level. Every now and then if I over do it, my pain will shoot up to a 5. But I can live with this. Before surgery a good day was a 5. I was at 7-8 pain level most days. I am slowly returning to my previous active life. Starting to exercise again. I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know how hard it is to come to terms with a decision as big as this. That's why I had you ask yourself that question. Because in the end, that's what it comes down to. Quality of life.
    Good luck!
  • Writing here just so it might be of some help to those with disc herniation, bulging, and other medical terms used when your disc is out. I do Muay Thai and a cold winter day after some grippling I felt something went wrong in my neck. A serious pain continued the night until morning and for made me go for an MRI as per doctor's advice after suffering first 3 days. It showed large left para-central disc protrusion at c5/c6 level which is compressing the cervical cord and nerve root within the left neural foramin. That's it, I was injured for the first time in my life and that was serious. I ignored medicine (I know it's crazy) and I did not go with doctor's suggestion to do immediate surgery. After a period of almost 3 months suffering pain, stress and disappointment (I was out of sports), I started improving, the pain was reducing and I was getting better. I did another MRI after six months from the first test and it did not show any further damage. I continued with light exercises and gradually added weights. I have well maintained my muscles and strength. My recent visit to Bangkok made me happier after the doctor said, you are doing great and continue what you are doing - no need for surgery.

I highly recommend patience if you have a situation like above or if you ever feel you have injured yourself and it's a disc slip/herniation etc...just play with the pain and let your natural pain killers deal with it, don't take medicine and DO NOT go for surgery if you are under 40. I am completing one year on December 15 and I feel that I have fully recovered, all I need is to be careful with weights and postures.
    All the best guys, excuse my bad English as I'm writing in a hurry to share this message with you. I'll be always in a hurry.

Cheers,
  • Disc bulges do not always heal even when there are periods of no symptoms. I went years off and on with a bulge and eventually it burst "herniated." You may need to dial back your lifestyle to keep from stressing the area. Hoping that your disc heals and never herniates. It is a different thing and in my case was an entirely different level of pain and numbness.

Good luck,

Wolfpack
  • BlessedMom74 said:
    But I had a herniated disc at C4/5 after a rear ending collision and tried conservative treatment of PT and chiropractic for over a year as well as epidural injections. After 19 months I ended up having a single level fusion surgery. I was always in pain and my quality of life was slowly deteriorating. If you're not getting any better it's time to talk to a neurosurgeon and get another professional opinion. Your next step may be surgery. If the disc hasn't healed by now, it probably won't heal.
    Curious to hear about your recovery time? I am dealing with a herniated c4- for over a year. I have been doing injections but they only work for about two months, then the pain comes back and flare ups are getting worse to the point of non-movement. I haven't tried PT (first doctor said it would make things worse, new doctor is suggesting it)... but I can already feel the pain coming back full force again and am seriously considering a surgery consult. The flare ups cause me to lose days at a time to pain and loss of motion. It is awful!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    welcome to spine-health
    please click on link for helpful information!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

advertisement
This discussion has been closed.