Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Recovery time for bulging disc C5-C6?

Comments

• 12christa112christa Posts: 2
    edited 12/17/2015 - 10:45 PM
    i'm not sure how long my c5-c6 herniation has been going on. in 2000 i turned to grab something from my purse and 'pulled something' in what i thought was my shoulder. diagnosis was slight tear in supraspinatus, which pain began to reoccur once or twice a year when reaching too far overhead. finally nov 2014 i couldn't hold a pencil and was diagnosed with tendinitis in er. after weeks of pt i felt great....for 6 weeks until muscles of back throbbed and nerve was pinched down to finger tips. and numbness occurred. i did 2 more rounds of pt until the pain came back with a vengeance 4 weeks later. so in one year i've had 10 good weeks. neurologist recommended surgery but orthopedist recommended epidural first....didn't work. now i'm scheduled for surgery. scared to death but i cannot live like this anymore. anyone one else have disc replacement and could give me a timeline as to recovery time? can i get back to work in 4 weeks barring any complications?

artificial disc for cervical disc replacement
    for helpful information please click on link
    welcome to spine-health
    liz -spine-health moderator
    'Get your head on straight!'
  • The pain and quality of life was so low at times I often contemplated suicide, it is a really difficult thing to over come but I am much better than I was with "conservative treatment" I didn't do exercises or traction for the last few months and feel like I have recovered a bit, it does seem like it has hit a point of no return and I still think about surgery. If I could go back in time and say immediately yes to have surgery and it was something that didn't concern me with the integrity of the disk, I may have just said yes. I did keep thinking I would get better and all I've done is move, occasionally walk, I hate driving especially months 1-5 (I can handle short drives but they deffinitely cause pain or compression. The difference is my ability to just be able to walk at all as in the begining I could barely stand after a period of rest it was so bad. Night with 15 minutes of sleep. Like it's been mentioned before everyone is different and my fear was that it wasn't just my disk that was causing pain. I do have it in both legs now and I somtimes wonder if the other leg is being affected because of my limp. (Shocks and puts pressure on a different plane) is there anyone who had ones simmilar to l5s1 12mm left leg nerve root fully compressed and had surgery and recovered? Anyone have surgery later than the 6 month mark and have success?
  • advertisement
  • RobPogiRRobPogi Antioch, Ca.Posts: 1
    Hello,
    Seen this site like some months ago and was able to bookmark it.  And now i am here writing my own experience from my accident last year Sept. 2015, was rear ended an accident I thought was just a nudge (hit at 55mph or more) turn out to be a nightmare for me.  After the xrays, PT, chiros, ct scans but declined MRI, I was finally able to get one during my 6th month after the accident.  Got a bulging C5-6.  Transferred to a new doctor (in workmans comp) and suggest to have a epidural, after waiting for approval I researched the pros and cons, and decided not to do it.  My gut feeling is telling me so.  So I requested to see a surgeon and soon enough after having another set of xrays, he suggested traction or surgery.  Knowing that traction won't be effective after 10months I right away decided surgery.  He did it - ACDF after a month with all the clearance labs, ekg, ecg done before the procedure.  Symptoms are as like some others experienced, blurry vision due to intense headache, neck pain, shoulder pain to the left arm, and carpal tunneling feeling to both arms as well.  The doctor was very casual or confident with himself and his expectation is high.  After surgery done like 2 1/2 hours he said as he saw me sitting down in the recovery room, you can shower tomorrow and drive the next day  Heck that's what I did, but need my pain meds Hydrocodone 10*325 and anti spasms.  Now recovering on my 9th day, experiencing neck/shoulder area pain due to decompression per my followup check up.  I hope you just consider surgery asap, is not life threatening, the solution and end to our misery.  I live in California and my surgeon is the best ever you can get.  If only I can write my doctor's name and clinic here for your reference.  Kudos to doctor and wonderful staff.

Rob. :smile:" alt=":smile:" height="20" /> 
  • LizLiz Posts: 9,745
    hello robpogi

this is an old discussion created by a member no longer on the forum so i am closing it.
    i suggest you create a new discussion using the link below
    please click on the link for useful information

Liz, 

Veritas-Health Forum Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.