Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Increased depression

tkdanttkdan Posts: 62
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:56 AM in Depression and Coping
I have noticed the last month or so I have been suffering from (for lack of a better description) a dark, dark depression. I have suffered from clinical depression, and situational depression from time to time in my life. This that I'm feeling is of a level I've never experienced. In the past I could hide it enough so that others did not know. Now those that are closest to me are expressing concern for me. I know the ongoing pain is taking it's toll, but I did not realize to the degree it was affecting me. I've been through so much with my divorce and custody battle, and I had to remain strong through it all for my kids. Now that it is all over and I can relax depression has got a grip on my like never before. This is the first time my own depression has got me worried.
advertisement

Comments

• Get in to see your Dr. and tell the Receptionist it's rather urgent. If you feel any urges please call a distress line and even ER usually have a Psychiatrist on call. You've been through a lot and depression is a imbalance in the chemicals in your brain triggered by many issues including medications. We're here to support you as you get the help you need. There is always hope for tomorrow but some may need an anti-depressant and therapy to get through this. Hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    ...here, which is a huge start in taking care of yourself.It's good you are aware you are at a place that you don't want to stay at.

Charry is right about seeing doctor right away.

I, too, battle with long time clinical depression so I know those dark thoughts can be a slippery slope.

You've been through some major life heartache, also. In addition to seeing the doctor, maybe you could reach out to your friends...like visit with them a little more regularly. Maybe they could watch the kids a couple of hours if you need to take care of your pain..hot bath or watch a movie for distraction..something like that.

Keep in touch! and let us know what the doctor recommends. Take care!
    Sue
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• advertisement
  • You are not alone. I also have suffered from depression at different times in my life. About 8 years ago I was put on lexapro by a psychiatrist (who can prescribe). I was also seeing a psychologist. It was determined I would be on lexapro the rest of my life.

I had been knocked unconscious by a snowboarder which destroyed my SI joint, gave me a concussion, bruised kidney and torn cartilage in both knees. It was a major hit, I couldn't feel my legs when came to. It change my whole life and my career, etc etc. But after awhile the doc decided I could cut the dosage in half.

Then I had 3 fusions in 4 years and am fused L1-S1. Now my SI joint is failing (where it all started) and I don't even want to think about having that fused altho it is out there in my future. I was tired all the time (not like me), had no appetite (again not like me). I knew I was depressed about my back pain.

I went to see my internist and put me back on my full dose of lexapro. After a couple of weeks (which is how long it takes to be effective) I wasn't sleeping 10-12 hours a night, I had energy, I was happier.

See someone who can if necessary prescribe something, even if it is short time. Everyone is different but I am so impressed how it worked for my recent heavy depression. I don't even think I realized how bad I was.

Let us know how you are doing and good luck!!

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Yes, it is important to know what you are taking. My doc prescribed the "mildest" in terms of side effects etc. That was lexapro.It works for me and the side effects for me are pretty benign. It takes about 2 weeks for them to work and that can be frustrating to people who want an immediate fix. This is for the long term so you have to be a little patient.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Concerning Cymbalta, was put on it in the beginning by my PM Dr. I was so disconnected to the point of feeling nothing (emotionally). And both start up and discontinuation was hell. That experience has me a little concerned about trying another anti-d. But I know I need something to help with the depression I'm going through.
  • advertisement
  • Finally will see my dr this afternoon. Depression has drained me of every ounce of energy. It is bad enough that chronic pain can be exhausting, but throw depression in on top of it and it become almost unbearable...
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,270
    seeking professional medical services for your depression is your best course of action.

You do not want the depression to sink deeper and deeper. Left unchecked, it can easily do that
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • Had my appointment last Friday. I started one antidepressant Saturday, with a script for an add-on anti-d to start one week after that. This is a combo that I was on many moons ago, and I had good results fron it. All I can do is hope for the best.
  • Best of luck Tkdan. Hope it works out for ya,"
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • I'm glad you saw your Dr. and got the anti-depressant. It takes a few days up to 2 weeks to work so know you're on your way to feeling better. I hope this new medication is compatible with the Amitriptyline as well as Gabapentin, I had to stop an antidepressant to continue to take Lyrica. I hope you start feeling better soon. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
advertisement