Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

In ICU - On the other side, back kind of! (G) Hi!!!!

Comments

• Good to hear recovery is going well! Hopefully is quick and easy for you!
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Very Happy that your doing well.

And thankfully your doctor were able to identify the problem quickly and you all made the correct decision to have another surgery to correct the problem before it could possibly become worse.

Now just take care and go slow.
    Remember it not a sprint, its a marathon.

My best to ya.

• advertisement
  • Looking good post surgeries now. Easy recovery not sure about that, but it would be nice! (G) Just took the ole pain meds, so should be getting sleepy soon. Sleep is good. (G)

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Came out of that second surgery neurologically weak, but functioning again. The strength is getting better, and the pre surgery issues which we knew would stay did, and is back where it was pre surgery. So it looks like he caught it and cleaned it up good.

I'm out of ICU and over to the nurses floor until most likely Sunday where I get tossed in an ambulance for transport to the after care facility. Whew!!!

Brenda
  • I am glad that things worked out! you had a rough go of it girl!

I am glad that you are able to go for the rehab after your stay. I am sure that your husband is very happy about that :)

I hope you are comfortable!!! >:D<
  • advertisement
  • About a month ago you called me up at 4 am and we chatted until 5:30 am. I was post op and you were pre op. We couldn't stop yacking! It was a riot. I have been thinking of you and know that you will come out of this stronger and better! Just feel better every day and don't over do it or you will pay double later. Keep the spirits up and sleep as much as you can. You are a tough cookie and I know you will get through this better than anyone!
  • Extra 'full' surgery was not on my list of things to do when I got here, that's for sure! (G) It is still holding, so chances are, he got it all. Now the key is to watch for infection.

I have a drain in that has been doing its job quite well. My surgeon wants to start taking tubes out to reduce further infection risks, so tomorrow catheter comes out, and maybe the drain tube as well. Then the only thing left in is my IV tubing on my right arm that will stay for antibiotics and muscle relaxers etcetera. :)

Hubby wasn't comfortable with me being home solo especially with a house with 3 cats that love to get under foot, and I can't look down....Ouch, that could hurt! He also didn't want to chance missing an infection. So I get it now that my "logical brain" is in line. Lol!!!

Brenda
  • Howdy you!!! Yeah, that was fun. (G) So far I've been able to keep perked up. The expected goals except for the bump after the primary surgery, all went as expected. The chances for failure are high with this many levels, so I will all I am told to protect it, and give it *all* the best chance to heal and fuse. Whew!!!

Time will tell, but without the lamina in there, it gave my cord lots of room to work again. We are hoping of course to reverse some of the bad bre surgery stuff, but won't be surprised if none of that changes - and so far it hasn't. I am good with it.

I am just so happy that I don't have to hide from pills anymore as the choke outs seem to be fixed with my throat being straight once again!!! Yes, yes, yes!! Hi ho the choke is gone, the choke is gone. Fingers staying crossed... 8>

Brenda
  • How is the hospital food? Just had to ask!!!! :)

I had the cath out the second day in the hospital, and it seems to hurt my bladder when I pee now :( It is awsome that you can still have more help to do things on your own after you leave the hospital! My husband, and kids pretty much have been doing everything.

I don't understand the whole drain thing? I didnt have that because I had ALIF I believe?!
  • Most of the hospitals down here ...their food is actually pretty good. Except for them having mushrooms in my gravy (bad, bad) itchy and rash 101 reaction from head to toe, Benadryl took care of business finally! The food is pretty good.

My cath is fine so far. I've never had a problem with them taking it out. I am on a solid "no bend, lift, twist", solid 3-6 month no-no on it. Hehehee...As for the drain and all, I think it goes on how long an incision is if a drain is needed? I didn't have one for either of my prior fusions, but did for 2 days on my elbow when they transposed the nerve. That incision was around 4 inches there abouts. Its good though because you can see an infection starting too.

So far this has gone pretty good. I just have to stay ahead with the pain meds. I have an IV muscle relaxer going in now. I had a lot of spasming last night, so lets see how this goes. I think he called it "Roxio?" Or something like that. It's relaxing that's for sure. :)

Brenda
advertisement