Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

In ICU - On the other side, back kind of! (G) Hi!!!!

Comments

• j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    I haven't been on the forums lately. Due to relentless pain and depression.
    To be honest I forgot you were going back in. But your back now. And things didn't go too bad. Glad to have you back! I'll be going back in soon. #8 For me.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Thanks so much Jim!! Yeah once it was determined that the failure of the fusion caused all these symptoms of instability, I got several more opinions and decided the orthopedic side of the spinal life was the way to go, and boy am I happy with my surgeon and his team (now mine of course!!!)

Number 7 thanks to the hematoma. Can't wait to see that MRI. I think I know what it looks like (err...looked right?), but it will be interesting to see for sure. Wow, what a day and me being sleepy in between most of it, I had the easy side of it...sort of! Rofla!

Don't be a stranger my friend. How are you doing? *HUGZ* Thanks for stopping in.

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • okay here is the first dressing change. it's a 'y' at the top since he had to go back in, and the incision goes about 2 more inches below my robe. pretty huh?

oh, graduating again, they are getting all the ducks in a row for me to a be transfered to the rehab facility today - lots closer to my house than i am now. :) whew!!! here ya go. more to come later.

https://i783.photobucket.com/albums/yy118/aviatrix36440/post cervical fusion pics/2011-10-14_07-30-27_928.jpg

[my update edit] i guess the anesthesia they put in the incision is working out, my doctor just doubled up on my pain medications and break through. i got a hit of my new levels, was buzzy for an hour, now good. happy camper.

brenda

the happy problem child...
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,362
    I see you're still kicking. That's always a good sign. Pretty bad that you've caused so much trouble that they're gonna kick you out to the rehab center early. lol. Already had all they could stand? hehe. Only kidding you know.

Whew! Looks like a nice new battle scar you've got there! Gee, people would think that may smart a bit...me too! Sorry you've been having more pain. It always happens when the internal stuff wears off doesn't it? I'm glad the pain meds are working for you. I hope that your transport goes smoothly Brenda. Take care and please be good.

Debbie
  • Debbie,

I've had more nurses and doctors say "I wish more patients were like you, and had your attitude - it's refreshing!" Dunno, I guess it is just part of my nature? Considering my career path, I should be pretty jaded, but instead it has been to my benefit as I seen a lot of how bad or low a person can go in this life. Not going there, gonna stay the course and happy if I can!!

Yeah, graduated, they are planning on my transport, and too my room set up and such. I'm getting into the one that caters more to the 50-60 crowd vs 60-?? age! (G) Late this afternoon or early tomorrow is our guess. Fingers crossed. Never been to one of these places before, so totally new experience for me. Whew!!!

Now if I could cool down. The meds aren't letting me be cool. I have this room to the mid 60's, hubby was freezing and I am still sweating..hehehe...argh!

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • So glad to see you well your neck anyway. Happy you made it through, that was a close one but glad the Surgeon went back in and got that extra little issue out of there! Glad you're having a good hospital experience food, nurses and getting pain control.

I hope the recovery place goes just as well but that's where the PT begins I guess? I keep saying a prayer when I think of you. Heal well. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • you too Brenda (sitting up at computer)! Wow the incission looks really good (but sore) Looks like between that, how you are feeling, and your positive outlook, things are going well. Glad that they have upped your meds now that the internal stuff is wearing off.

All the best with your move. You are on the right track if they are shipping you out already.

Still in my thoughts and prayers!

>:D< Karen

Maybe hubby could bring you a fan to cool you down?
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Aside from the temporary bump, what has happened to you during this hospital stay has been awesome, and I think your positive, cooperative attitude has a lot to do with it. Keep it up, woman!! The fact that you were released from ICU earlier than anticipated, and same goes for the transfer to rehab...amazing! :-C Congrats all around! I hope there won't by any more mushrooms on your tray, and once you get home your walker will keep the cats away from your feet. Love 'n Verrrrry Gentle >:D< >:D< >:D<, Ess
  • Been keeping you in my thoughts and prayers

Last week I really struggled with it rabbed my little dog and ran away for the week! :). I haven't had my laptop to post with, just my phone....

I was so hot when I was in the hospital this last time also!!! It was all the steroids. I had the AC as cold as it would go and everyone else was shivering!

Hope your pain is better. Having a great attitude is half of it!

The therapists at your next facility will love you!! Have fun with 'em!

Thinking of you! Wishing you the very best!! Shari
  • Hehehee....Yeah, that is the only "me" shot on here. If you go on Daily Strength, you see a 'me' shot when I worked the Olympics! (G) He had to go a little higher to get the rest of the blood out, so now it looks like a cactus kind of?

When he apologized about switching from nice sutures to staples, I reminded him I wasn't in for a beauty pageant, so whatever he needed to do. He put me in a wheelchair vs the usual "walk, walk, walk" because he doesn't want anything pulling on the incision site and opening it up. I'm good, and now that I can 'see' it, I get it too.

I think the PT that I will be getting at this point will be (similar to now) proper equipment use, PT in conjunction with day to day living and moving (protecting the neck and wound) in the house. I'll be going to the rehab after care via ambulance either late this afternoon, or early tomorrow. All set on this end to scoop stuff and go. :)

I'm cleared to shower on Monday, so that will feel great. Change the dressing daily, so no problem there - obviously can't do that myself, so the facility will take care of things there. This is all new to me, so it (I) will be treated like an adventure. (G)

Brenda
advertisement