Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

In ICU - On the other side, back kind of! (G) Hi!!!!

Comments

• Years ago when I had my C5/6 fused, 'recliner' position worked best for me. It seems so far I do really well with this surgery sitting 45 degrees or higher is more comfy than laying down. I've never been good flat anyways, but being angled I'm pretty comfy overall.

I had to have my breakthrough after he pulled the drain and redid my dressing, but otherwise so far, so good. :)

I'm using the TV channel selection card like a fan, that is helping, but whew, hot, hot, hot!!! Froze the hubby out, oops! (G) He's off doing some of his errands, and too it is soap time, so works out well. My walking PT is done, so I am a free agent again for shots, pills and food! (G) Thanks Karen!! *HUGZ*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • Well, ever since I 'walked' away from my crash, my perspective on things in this life was forever changed. I guess with the surgeries through the years, it has maintained - and it does help keep the pain down. Even my surgeon is amazed. He had no problem with upping my meds, especially since the mechanical pain stuff is pretty low considering...allowed now 20mg percs every 3 hours, 2mg (IV) Dilaudid now from 1mg, max 20mg in a 24 hour period, and of course I have my 450 a day Lyrica (and most of my pain is still nerve). So I am doing pretty good.

Yeah mushrooms....ack!! I'm still itching a little bit, but residual. (G) The support staffing here is wonderful, but like one told me, "You are making it pleasant and easy for us too. We enjoy patients that work with us and too their own health issues in a positive way." Works for me. :)

Just waiting on transfer information. Baby steps... :)

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • Thanks very much for your thoughts and prayers. I am glad that you shared what made you so warm. My lead nurse just came in (been diabetic through this, but stabilizing now that the steroids are done) for my insaline shot. I mentioned that, and she agreed steroids are probably the culprit. Whew!!!! Hehehee...

Damn, he shaved half of my head! Wow!! I thought it was going to be like a 1/2 inch, but due to the C4, and then the hematoma, he had to go higher to get it all. Looks kind of punk rock!! (G)

Brenda
  • Glad to hear that you are progessing better than expected!

I, too, am always hot in the hospital. I've spent a lot of time in the hospital over the past couple of years, and I am like a furnace when I am in there. I always thought it had something to do with being sick and my immune system kicking into high gear.

I'm sure the steroids are causing your increased blood sugar. As a nurse, I've had a lot of patients that weren't normally diabetic, but the steroids would cause their blood sugar to go up. The last couple of times that I've been in the hospital, I've been on steroids so they have checked my blood sugar. Sure enough, my sugar ends up being high. But luckily for me, they just monitor it and I never end up needing insulin.

I have to admit, reading your story really makes me NOT want to have another surgery! I have been getting various opinions, but so far the general concensus is that I need another surgery. Bleh!
  • I knew I spelled that wrong Kim! (G) Thanks for posting the spelling correctly, now I am good! Yeah my sugar in my normal life 2 hours after eating is normally 70-105. Here with the steroids I've been recorded over 400, holey cow!!! 6 units of insulin for that one! The last 4 I've been taken down to 2, but the steroids just quit, so it should be getting better.

I feel fine, so I guess something was done right in the chemical mixes! They are transferring me around 5pm (about an hours drive), so they are going to hit me a little early on the pain meds to make me more comfy. Hey, works for me!! Vibrations kill me pretty quick, so I am very happy to see that the staff here thought of it. Great folks!!!!!

I have more surgery coming, of that I was warned. The neck is still going to be high risk for the next 3-6 months, so the RV Christmas trip is probably off based on that. We won't decide that until the surgeon says yep or nope. Nothing is etched in stone as they say.

As for surgery and me..hehehee, I'm not a good example to follow and worry about as I am not 'the norm' for levels. Believe it or not, "me", if I had to do it again, believe or not (again), yes I would do it. I am that happy with the goals and results to this point. Yeah the recovery is going to be a discovery or adventure, but I mentally prepared for it. :)

Brenda
  • advertisement
  • Are you off IV pain meds already? I thought you would need to stay longer for pain control? I hope you manage the ride over to the Rehab hospital. Gentle hugs. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Brenda, Boy have you been through so much. You have a GREAT attitude. It helps so much when you are positive. Staying on top of the pain meds certainly helps. Keep on track with them. Glad to hear that you will have 2 weeks in a facility. It will be very reassuring for your hubby and even peace of mind for you. You are an inspiration to many. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Be Well! :)

12/9/2010 ACDF C5-6 C6-7 with plate, screws,
    BMP & bone fragment filled cages
    2/14/2011 trying to go back to work as a teacher
    2/17/2011 starting PT
    wearing bone stimulator 4 hours a day
    DDD, arthritis, herniated disks, pinched nerves
    3 months saw a little bit of bone growth (YEAH)
    4/15/2011 Home Tens Unit
    6 months - end plate growth going well - no more bone stimulator, issues with hands going to vascular and hand surgeons to find out why
    8/2011 - may have TOS or RSD still researching
    9/2/2011 Rear ended at 30 mph. Significant Whiplash
    using the Tens unit again.

Dealt with the pain and issues for more than 5 years
    tried PT, chiropractic, acupuncture, cervical epidural shots and selective nerve root blocks prior to surgery
  • You still in the hospital? You lazy bumm, Time to get your ass up and go to work, Sheesh,

I was climbing a mountain same day of my fusion, Dr was not even done puting in the last screw while i started my climb, I draged the dr up the mountain with dr,s hands attached to my spine,, Git-ir-done
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • WOW!!! I missed the whole "event" while I was away and I just missed 1 week form the boards ;)

Happy you are doing so well!!!!!! :D

The nurses. PT folks etc do really like "good patients". I had both my knees replaced the same day (NOT comparing my surgeries to yours in ANY way lol) and 4 hrs later I was up and walking with my walker. Less then 48 hr later I went home.
    My Drs, Pt, nurses etc said that people who have 1 knee done baby themselves a lot more then I did with 2 knees replaced. They all treated me VERY well as they seen i was determined to get healed.

I hope your positive progress continues. Please keep us updated.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Luv your scar - that's a real adornment to your neck and back !! Bet you start getting itchy once your hair starts to grow back.

It's Saturday afternoon here, and probably early hours for you. I think you said you'll be going to rehab today??

Hope you settle in and can cope with the treatment.

>:D<

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
advertisement