Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Did we need it? Or do we want it?

Comments

• I dont think all insurance is so strict where they wont cover surgery, Most of the time as far as i know if dr agrees to do surgery its usualy aproved,

So answer to your question is insurance pays, Is your insurance still not aproved your fusion?

Mick. Criticize someone who had or about to have major surgery? Lol i am lost,
    Anyone who goes under the knife has my sympahty without a question,

I am not realy sure who you guys were refering to that use to come here actualy that wanted surgery so bad even if they did not need it,

But i have read a few post that sounded like they think surgery is simple and is the answer when that might not be the case, But everybody has to find out the hard way as some of us did,

I am sure everyone who had surgery thought that was that pain will be gone and life will be good, i know thats what i thought,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • alexhurting said:
    I am sure everyone who had surgery thought that was that pain will be gone and life will be good, i know thats what i thought,
    Alex,

I think my first spinal surgery, yes! I think if memory serves, I did think life would be back to normal after my surgeon fixed mefor sure!!! Of course, my first surgery was awesome in the 'repair' department, but of course, my second surgery solved those thoughts and woke me up!!!!

This my third and forth, I know better. But too...the goals were to stop further neurological issues from progressing, and too to stabilize my neck. :) Hopefully this will come to fruition. In this case, lets say "A girl can hope" for sure!!! *BOW*

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • advertisement
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,745
    I needed surgery in 1998. But suffered through the pain for years doing non surgical treatments. Because I still had kids in collage. And just couldn't be off of work for the three years the surgeon said it would take back then.
    But not for one moment did I ever think I couldn't be "fixed" And I planed on it at a latter date when the surgeries were much more advanced.
    Now I wouldn't wish that pain on anyone. And it turned out that the only thing more painful than that was the surgery.
    But I felt I was fixed for about 7 mos. after the recovery. Then things went down hill. Now I asked the surgeon if he could do the next one up because it was moderately bulging and I didn't think it would survive the weight transfer. He wouldn't because the insurance wouldn't ok it.
    And it went out next. Then the same scenario happened 3 more times.
    Now I never Dr. shopped, but I did change surgeons. And I did request a "stand up M.R.I. because the conventional one didn't show the problem with no natural weight on my spine. And the "stand up M.R.I. clearly showed it.
    And now I need another fusion because the D.D.D. moved up to the next two levels. Because they couldn't handle the weight either.
    And I'll have the surgery even though I had said after each of the last two that I wouldn't have the pain of the surgery ever again!
    But my feet are on fire and the "beast" has become a permanent resident, biting my back! And quite frankly, my life just isn't worth living,as is.
    Now anyone who would want this for ANY REASON AT ALL, has to be insane!
    Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Ok i have not had any surgery now for almost 2 years, You guys think that too long to go without surgery? I am realy worried, what if something serious is going on and i am not geting it fixed?

Has anyone ever diied not having surgery that they thought maybe they needed?
    I have this litle bump on my hand looks like a bee sting, you guys think i might have a brain tumor?

Should i call my dr? Should i call and ask for a mri? Should i call 911.? Should i call my mom?

This cofee taste like crap. Could it be just me? Maybe my taste buds are affected by my drugs? Could the drugs be affected by the cofee? Could it be my gf trying to kill me puting something in my cofee? Should i call the police?

If anyone has this condition and can relate to the above! YOU DONT NEED SURGERY!!!!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,526
    I know we can all get a bit of course from time to time. Some light humor is always good.

But I started this thread because I do believe there is a serious problem out there dealing with the subject topic.

I know my own father jumped from surgeon to surgeon to see who would perform the next lumbar surgery. He felt he was in too much pain after the first one, so went around to find another doctor who said they could fix him... They never did.

You may ask, that how could the Insurance companies allow and pay for unnecessary surgeries? Well, so much of this depends on how much a doctor can justify the need for a surgery. If the story is good chances are the Insurance company will pay.

So, in those cases:
    - The patient may not even need the surgery
    - A doctor is bending the truth to perform the surgery.
    - The Insurance company may be paying for something that was not needed. And that could result in higher premiums for others.

So please lets keep this thread for what was intended for. Additional side dialogues, please use CHAT and/or private messages.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • Pain can make us do crazy things even if there is no logic to it, i totaly understand,

When someone offers you the slightest hope we sometimes jump on it, Its totaly human reaction, Everyone reaches there limit and knows when its time to stop and realise this is as good as it gets, Sadly its never good enough no longer,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Forgetting your sarcasm of late... You are right in this post of yours, there are times we "want/need" surgery in one breath to either (like with mine) to stop progression of myelopathy issues, and too to stabilize a mess. Some are for pain (hopes to reduce), function, chances of being paralyzed, etc.. There are sooooo many reasons *one* comes to want or need position for (or both) surgery too count!!

My two cents....

Brenda
    PCTF C4 - T2, Laminectomies C5, C6 & C7. Severe Palsy left arm/hand.
  • How are you feeling? After being away, and going through soooo much, it has to feel great being home with hubby and your precious, furry baby's!
    I think your 2 cents is right on the mark!!! You make a ton of common sense!!! I'm so glad you're home! Gentle hugs, Brenda C.
  • How are you feeling? After being away, and going through soooo much, it has to feel great being home with hubby and your precious, furry baby's!
    I think your 2 cents is right on the mark!!! You make a ton of common sense!!! I'm so glad you're home! Gentle hugs, Brenda C.
  • Ok well i was trying to get back on track here as Ron had mentioned,
    I am assuming Ron ment stay on the original topic so posibly new members along with current members who might not had much insight on this subject might benefit from it,

My sarcasm/joke was simply an example of compulsive type behavier people may have in life, In some way it can be comical in nature but it can become very distructive in a persons life,

Brenda, I dont mean to be rude in any way, But if reason for surgery is to stop the chance of becoming paralized would fall ,in the catagory of having to have surgery! Every dr would offer up surgery to prevent from being paralized, Thats a no brainer,

Not sure what that has to do with the original post of wanting or needing surgery when its not realy needed, I am glad Brenda C can understand your point cause i cant. Lol

You sure you 2 are not sisters? Lol. Maybe twins?
    You explained many times why you had your surgery, I think on just about every post you mention it lol. How can i not remember, i hope you dont feel the need to explain it and justify it in any way, Because you dont need to,

At the end of the day surgery is a personal choice to each and every person,

Now as Ron said, This is not about us. This is just in general about Hmmm i have no idea what its about, I need more cofee. Lol. Git-ir-done
    2012 scs implant ,
advertisement