Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

L4 L5 S1 TLIF fusion tomorrow cauda equina syndrome for 2nd time!

mazza74mmazza74 Posts: 21
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:57 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well here it is.. Surgery lunch time tomorrow for Cauda Equina syndrome for a second time in 12 months. Wish me luck getting nervous now.
advertisement

Comments

• You are only the second person that I have ever come across with the onset of Cauda Equina Syndrome for the second time- I'm the first.....LOL
    I just wanted to wish you good luck tomorrow for your surgery and hope that things settle down and you get a quick recovery.
    Can I ask why your surgeon waited a month before scheduling you for surgery? CES is a surgical emergency. They should have scheduled for surgery right away, since surgery should be performed within 24-48 hours.
    Sandi
  • I know! I have ranted and raved and stomped and shouted that things were getting worse but it wasn't until I actually wet myself 13th October that any of the Drs would sit up and listen - again!
  • advertisement
  • Yeah, I know that feeling all too well. My first onset of CES was because of spine surgery, and I suppose in broad views of this time, it is also because of it, but I have some additional complications to consider before going through a third surgery at this point- my dura ( covering of the spinal nerves in the canal) is adhered to three lumbar levels, so any surgery will result in a very large dural tear, which may nor may not be able to be sutured, then there is the guarantee if I don't have surgery, I will wind up paralyzed and if I do, it may well happen then too.
    I managed to wet myself a few times, too and no one listened right after my first surgery. They told me it was because of swelling, and didn't bother to find out why I couldn't empty my bladder or bowels on my own. It is crazy making for us to be discounted when we tell them something is wrong....
    Good luck tomorrow, I hope that you find this fixes your problems and you have no further complications.
    Sandi
  • Thank you Sandi. It is so good to hear from you, but I am very angry at what you have had to put up with.I hope that whatever choice you make is the right one. Are you on CESSG forum too?
  • Hi Marie,
    Yes, I'm sandi M on there........and thank you Marie, I am hoping that if I put it off long enough, that things will move forward enough that I don't have to face paralysis, no matter which way I go. The stenosis is so severe that I only have a tiny opening of 3.4 mm if space for the lumbar nerves to pass through. Considering that the lumbar canal is supposed to be substantially wider, , I am in a mess. I also have a vertebre almost falling off the one below it and that gets worse as time goes on.
    Anyway, this wasn't supposed to be about me, I just wantee to wish you well tomorrow.
    I know how pre-surgery jitters can get to anyone facing surgery, let alone lumbar again, for CES.
    Hugs,
    Sandi :)
  • advertisement
  • Good luck to you on surgery, hope all goes well. Sending prayers and positive vibes your way that soon this will all be a distant memory for you and you'll be on the path to recovery. Post back as soon as you are able and let us know how you are.
  • of you today Marie. Wishing you all the best. Glad that they are finally doing the surgery, a shame that you had to wait.

We are here cheering you on through today, and recovery.

Look forward to hearing from you when you are able.

gentle >:D<
    Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Thinking good thoughts and prayers for you today.
    I hope you get thru everything good and your recovery goes good.
    When your able please let us know how things are going.
    all my best
    mary
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • Well had mmy 2 level fusion wednesday. According to my surgeon all went well but I did need 2 blood transfusions and my Blood pressure keepss dropping rediculously low even now. Wednesday night I have to say was the worst night of my entire life. I am no stranger to surgery with this being my 5th operation in 15 years, but recovery has definitely been the worst as it was a lengthy operation, I lost a lot of blood. My pain was so bad wednesday I never thought I would get through the pain and required a higher dose of Anaesthetic than I have ever had before.I was sick so much that they had to strip the bed/room and me twice. I had to beg for a catherter I was that desperate to pee but after an hour on a bed pan they finally allowed me to have one, just as well as I passed 1100cc in 15 mins! Yesterday was a much better day although trying to find a comfortable position in my bed is very challenging when you can no longer swivel your hips. To turn over! I forced myself to eat my evening meal. Which has done me a power of good despite making me gagg at the time. I have quickly come to realise that whilst the nurses/doctors in the NHS system are very caring. They will not give you the meds you need as. Readily unless you moan a lot. Now that I am aware of this I amm much more able to cope with the pain. The physio team managed to get me to sit up on the edge of the bed yesterday which was good until I fainted due to pain + low blood pressure. Today (friday) they managed to get me standing up and walking 10 stepss with my stick. This was very difficult as I am very weak on my left side including my arm. Again I fainted but I am so happy that I can still sort of walk! Each day should get better and better I hope. My concern now is that I have not opened my bowels since monday. I apologise if this is TMI but fellow cauda equina sufferers. Will understand what a big deal this is. I have asked and askeed for them to up my movicol dose but still only getting 1 sachet a day despite me telling them that I need 1-2 sachets everyday on a normal day. Let aloone now when I am punped full of constipating morphine and codeine. It saddens me to say that I have had to get my husband to smuggle some in from home as I really do not want to suffer a bout of fecal impaction again - that is awful.
  • Hi Marie,
    It's good to hear from you, but I'm sorry that you are still having so much pain. I remember my first night post op and the pain was so bad, all I could do was sob. :''(
    I hope that each day brings a little more improvement in your pain levels and you are able to get around without fainting.
    Trying to get up , needs to be done by rolling onto your side ( use the bed rails to hold onto), it helps to hike up the head of the bed first ( makes it easier to get from laying to sitting ;) , and don't be afraid to ask for a walker, rather than a cane. It would give you more support standing and walking.
    When are you supposed to be going home? Do you have someone to come and help you, beside your husband? I hope so.
    Hugs,
    Sandi :)))
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.