Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement
Data Entry Job – SCAM!

We are aware that someone out there is using our CEO’s name and our company name to “recruit” people for a data entry job. It is a fake. Please do not give them any of your personal information. We are not now, nor have we ever, had data entry positions available.

Healing After L4/5, L5/S1 Laminectomy and Discectomy: It takes time, but there is hope

advertisement

Comments

• rbbrownrrbbrown Posts: 3
    edited 12/17/2015 - 9:48 PM
    Following a L4-L5 disc hernation, drop foot resulted from my December surgery. I just had my first follow up (2nd) MRI and X-ray which showed the same condition, but they did not recommend another surgery for fear of more damage. My right hamstring (the right leg was where the damaged nerve is) is still very weak. I'm afraid that I may have perminate damage so should do I have a chance for recovery this long after my surgery? Thanks!

Foot Drop Treatments
    Liz, Spine-health Moderator
    RCBrown
  • As we know ... Everyone is different.  Two and a half years ago I had an emergency L4 L5 disectomy.  Fragments of material wwre compressing my nerve causing pain in my lower back, sciatica and numbness in my leg and foot.  Needless to say the recovery was so much less painful than prior to surgery.  6 weeks post op I was released to resume all normal activities.  What a relief.  Unfortunately I am now scheduled for a L5 S1 in ten days.  5 months of excruciating pain, 5 weeks of PT and my doc finally referred me back to my surgeon. After an MRI the surgeon suggested a lumbar injection to reduce inflammation of the disc.  To no avail... Pain since injection has only worsened.  Hoping the L5 S1 has similar recovery times.... Never thought I'd be looking forward to surgery....
  • advertisement

• broken77 said:

Omg finally !!!!! Some positive posts ! I have been really down lately because I am 6 weeks post op from laminotomy/farminotomy of L4/5 L5/S1 and still have nerve pain. I injured myself at work almost a year ago (law enforcement) and I am not the man I used to be. Haven't had a real work out since now that I had the surgery I was excited to get back to my normal life only to still be in pain. Surgeon says that since it was imprinted for so long it will take time to heal...anyone else hear the same story ?

• I  know what you mean about not feeling like the same person.  Me  too, l feel like a slow moving senior! I'm 55! 
    My cousin also had  partial discectomy after five years and surgeon said they had to literally  PEEL the disc off of the nerve, so she's in for  a long recovery.  I'm very stiff a year on from surgery,  so l swim which  helps.  I think  lve done well when l hear all these stories  of  continuous pain, as l  get jarring and arthritic stiffness but lm able to  lead a normal life, Mostly! God luck!
  • I am 6 months post a 3 level lumbar fusion + I had 2 artificial discs implanted. My neurosurgeon has not order ANY PT yet. I starred going in the town pool to try and strengthen my left leg. Walking became too depressing as I end up handing onto a telephone poll, since I have to keep stopping,

My last appointment he saw that I could not bend ANY toes on my left  foot. In fact almost half the foot is totally numb. He ordered a CT scan, to find out if it is an S-I issue.
    Workers comp. keeps pretending they do not have it although the request was  faxed twice.
    I cannot have another appointment until I get the CT scan done.
    The neurosurgeons office is sick of their ignorance and they are not going to fax it again.
    Lucky me.

I cannot walk with out my cane, and 30 feet into the walk, I have to stop, wait about 20-3- seconds then continue on. I really need a wheelchair for any place that requires walking far.

I know nobody is going to respond and "my bad", for trying to give this site another chance.

"For we walk by faith, not by sight"~ Corinthians
  • advertisement
  • hvillshhvills Suzhou, ChinaPosts: 927

Dear Rootsprincess...

Your situation does not sound good... at 6 months post-op most patients are a bit further along.  What did your doctor say about your progress at your last appointment?  Is it possible to hand-in the CT request to workers comp. office in person?  I also do swimming PT 4-5 times a week.. I really like it... keep after it. 

Harry - 64 year old male...
    PLIF L4-L5-S1 due to disc degeneration... May 23, 2013
    PLIF L5-S1 due to failed fusion and broken screw... Jan 19, 2015
    Microdiscectomy, decompression L3-L4 due to herniated disc... Jan 19, 2015
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.