Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Admitted 11 Days Post Op w/ Abcess vs Seroma

TrixieMamaTTrixieMama Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
This afternoon I popped a stitch while coughing and
Realized a large hard ball had developed to the left
of my incision. Surgeon sent me straight to E.R. and
had a CT that revealed a very deep and large fluid/puss
filled pocket. The depth prevented drainage in ER so
in the AM I am having a CT guided debridement and
drain placement. Im super bummed and frustrated,
my next surgery to complete 360 is in 17 days. I could
use as many prayers as possible. Im posting from my
phone so sorry for typos. Thx and have a blessed day.
advertisement

Comments

• I'm sorry to hear about going back to ER. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  • and well wishes coming your way Kimberly! Sorry to hear about this development. Glad to see that they are addressing the issue right away, and then you can continue on your journey.

We are here for you for support.

gentle >:D<
    Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • advertisement
  • I am sorry to hear! My mom has almost the same thing going on. She is 2 weeks post op 3 level anterior lumbar fusion. She also has an abscess. They are not sure what it is filled with, they are thinking blood because she has a bleeding disorder. She is currently out of the hospital but in a lot of pain and they won't up her pain meds! She is seeing the abdominal surgeon today.

I am really sorry you are going through this, my prayers are with you.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Kimberly,

What a bummer to have a setback, but atleast they found it and are treating it. Hopefully it is not to serious and this will address it and you will be back on the road to recovery. Prayers coming your way. Keep us posted.
  • Oh Kimberley, you could have done without this setback. Hope the debridement and drain gets the infection under control.

Let us know how it all goes.

>:D<

Trish

XLIF L2-4 20.8.15
    ALIF L4/5 2009
    Laminectomy/discectomy L4/5 2008
  • advertisement

• So sorry to hear of your set back.
    Hopefully they will be able to deal with it quickly and then your healing and recovery can continue.

Praying for you
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

• Considering that you'd already been recuperating from surgery, you certainly didn't need the setback. You're in my prayers, too, and it sounds like you're in good hands. Keep the faith. Love 'n >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess
  • Not the news I wanted to hear. I will keep you in my thoughts. Stay strong.

L4/L5 laminectomy, L4/L5 360 fusion with instrumentation, L1 to L5 fusion, L5/S1 fusion w/ disc replacement, left and right SI joints fused.
  • Hello my amazing spiney friends!

Pls accept my apologies for not responding more timely and for not posting individual replies. I am still in the hospital and my surgeon told me this a.m. ill be here for the long haul, whatever that means.

So yesterday they did a fine needle,biopsy of my belly. They withdrew 18cc, which is a lot and there was still more! The aspirate was ser sanguinous, kind of like a light red wine color fir those unfamiliar. It was clear w no signs of infectiion. Still waiting on culture results. On vanco, flagyl and cefpedmine. Infectious disease docs think cultures will be clear and it will just be a seroma. As for hematoma vs seroma on spine, they wont discuss tx plan until they rule out infecyiom in belly so as not to spread it.

Just wanted to give a quick update. Im using my phone to post so im keeping this short to avoid added frustration. Thank you all for your love, support and prayers. I will update when I know more.

Hugs....
  • right back at you Kimberly! Sorry that you are now going to be in for the "long haul" but good that you have them looking out for your best interest and keeping an eye on you.

I am sure it must be hard especially knowing that you will be in again in a couple of weeks for your next surgery. Try to look to the future and know that this will all be over soon enough and you will be on your way to recovery completely.

Love your blog on youtube! Although I am not having the same surgery (having adr) it is great to hear other's experiences.

Continued prayers and good thoughts coming your way!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
advertisement