Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

We're building a better forum experience with you in mind. Beginning June 26, 2019, all Veritas Health forums will move to forum.veritashealth.com.

Learn More

People (idiots) that say they enjoy pain!

DonnabeDDonnabe Posts: 597
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Matters of the Heart
What do you think about people that say they enjoy pain?

I don't think they have ever experienced the level of pain that comes with spine problems, and especially not chronic pain.

There is a big difference between pain that one causes to themselves that goes away quickly, and chronic pain that one can't escape.

It kind of makes me mad because I go through so much trying to get away from pain. I spend so much money and time on doctors appointments, procedures, medications, physical therapy to get away from pain, but yet people enjoy it.

What do you think?
ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
advertisement

Comments

• Just whom are you talking about? Are you talking about masochists, or what?

It would be a wise thing for people to keep in mind that there are far worse pains than those experienced by the vast majority of spine patients. You do not want to know from cancer pain, especially bone cancer. There is not one person here who is able to judge another person's pain level as lesser than their own, whether it's nerve pain or any other. Your experience will always be unlike any other, because each of us is unlike any other.

There are people who, in their spiritual practice, make peace with their pain and use it to contemplate what makes them human, frail, and at the same time, strong.

Either way, why waste time and energy worrying about people you obviously have negative feelings about, even if they do say they enjoy pain? Doing so can't make your own experience any better, or less painful. (Only more painful, I would think, as I personally think negativity about others increases stress, and often pain.)

Just my $.02.
  • Pain is subjective, so there is no way for any medical professional to say this is a 4 or this is a 5 because of blah blah. They have no accurate test to decide whom is really in pain and whom is not. Of course they have some basic test to see if there is pain going on, but that is not a accurate science either, it is just that science.

Now having family members who are into working out, will tell you they enjoy pain, but they are talking about something totally different than we are. They know what they are doing to cause it and what will stop it. The theory is no pain no gain, but that is of a totally different mind set.

As the above poster said I personally wouldn't try to compare yourself to anyone else. You know what you have and what is going on, and that is all that matters.
  • advertisement
  • babybubbles said:

Either way, why waste time and energy worrying about people you obviously have negative feelings about

I do not have negative feelings about them... I just want to understand where they are coming from.

• I merely referenced your own thread title: "People (idiots) that say they enjoy pain!" No offense, but calling people idiots sounds very negative to me.

We still don't know what people you're referring to, and I'd sincerely like to know. If you're talking about cutters, people who cut their own bodies, you surely know that this is a serious psychological illness wherein people in severe emotional distress cut their own bodies to release that tension. It's a negative response to painful stimulus by causing a different kind of pain they feel is far better than the original stressor.

Without knowing more about what you're talking about, it's hard for anyone to agree or disagree with your sentiments. That's all I was saying.
  • No not cutters. I guess more like people that are into S&M.

I know a person that broke their leg and said it was the most awesome thing ever because he felt like he had an "out of body" experience. That's what started me thinking about this.

• advertisement
  • tamtam said:
    You know what you have and what is going on, and that is all that matters.
    I agree with Tamtam, and that is why the medical profession has established the 1-10 pain rating scale as a way to determine whether their individual patients need pain medication, and if they do need it, the type and dosage of med. But when someone has had agonizing pain at least once, as I had when I had the herniated C-5 disk in '83 and the initial post op period after the interspace was fused with bone from my right iliac crest - each time I could've rated the pain as a 100 on a 1-10 scale! - the pain he/she's had more recently might seem like nothing in comparison, yet it still hurts (prior to PT a year ago, I rated my back pain at a 6 to 10 on activity, but thanks to continued exercises it's improved). The whole thing goes to show you that pain is complex.

Three factors could account for some people regarding pain as enjoyable: 1) masochism; 2) they practice a way of life (Hindu or something like that - forgive me if I'm wrong) that includes walking on hot coals; 3) those who engage in strenuous activities such as participating in marathons or might exercise vigorously to lose weight - they feel the outcome is worth the pain they have.

• and it wasn't the most "awesome" out of body experience I've had. That person is an *ss.
  • Original post is correct, Body builder can enjoy the muscle burn pain they get from working out, Younger kids can enjoy and think its cool to have an injury and the injury heals and they live to laugh about it untill the next skate boarding accident,

Some might enjoy the pain from a tatoo that is short term pain,

Chronic pain is a total diferent animal all together,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Poochiewoochie- How is your acdf recovery going? Did you have 4-5-6 done?

• I took a shower last night for the first time with no help and walked 2 miles on Friday. I guess I overdid it a little because I was wiped out Saturday and Sunday but feel better today.

If I can just say something without getting jumped on. I envy anyone who only has to wear this collar for a month. I know how uncomfortable it is so while you are complaining because you have to wear it for so long please be grateful that at least it isn't 3 months like some of us have to wear it.
advertisement