Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!


Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

OMG Extreme Pain - Overslept and Went 11 Hours W/O Pain Meds - 4 Weeks Post Op

TrixieMamaTTrixieMama Posts: 64
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:58 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My beloved spiney's,

I am writing in excruciating pain right now! I slept so hard that I over slept my 0630am pain/nerve meds! I can hardly move! I last took meds at 1030pm last night and found myself up till midnight, too soon to take more so I took a Xanax since I was anxious and fell asleep. Guess my body needed that sleep because I slept and slept through 3 different 0630am medication alarms. Family members checked on me but didn't think to wake me and here I am 3 hours over my 0630am meds and I can hardly move!

I had just gotten to the point where I could cut out the 0230am meds, on my 4 hour schedule and stretch things out an hour or two. The 0230 meds have been successfully overcome by the simple addition of a muscle relaxer at 1030pm. Usually I wake up at 0630am, take my meds and I feel fine with an 8 hour laps during sleep but today OMG those extra 3 hours I over slept have done me in.

The pain is horrific! I could hardly turn or lift myself out of bed, let alone put my brace on and getting up to pee, yeah, I would have felt better just soiling myself than forcing myself up to the toilet the pain is so bad. OMG, I feel like my spine is falling off, crumbling apart and the nerve pain is horrific!

I cannot believe I did this! I don't know what to do other than take my missed 0630am meds and then another dose is due at 1030am. Being a nurse I know I can take those meds 1/2 hour before or after without concern for time so i'm thinking i'm going to go ahead and take them in about 15 minutes at 10am to catch up.. Now today I will be caught in that horrible game of catch up and i'm just mortified and horrified at how badly I hurt.

This is the first time post op (4 weeks) that I have done this and I just want to cry. My poor 6 year old son is traumatized with my screams in pain.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting through the next couple of hours? I took my 630am meds which included; Lyrica 100mg, Keflex (for complications, won't help with pain at all, LOL) Percocet 15mg and Iron. At 1030 I am scheduled for a Dilaudid and Keflex. Te keflex will have to pushed out since I just took one but I can still take the Dilauded, i'll just be snowed, lol. At this point though, that doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

Any suggestions on alternative things I can do to help ease the pain would be appreciated, this is a first for me to this extreme. I can hardly move the pain is so bad but KNOW I have to get up and move. OMG, this is going to be a hard day.



  • About 30-40 minutes plus post medicating with percocet 15mg and Lyrica 100mg. The meds have taken the edge off and I applied some lidocaine compound cream prescribed for post op exercise therapy sessions, between the two, they have taken the edge off to where at least I have stopped crying and crying out in pain.

    Mental note to self (and others) ensure family members know to wake you up for your pain meds in the early weeks! I know some here have spectacular experiences and are off meds after d/c from the hospital, for those of us with more complicated issues post op, don't wait too long. This is a horrible experience to have and I hope it doesn't happen to anyone else.

    Thanks for taking the time to read this. Sometimes just being able to come here and make a post helps to ease the frustration. At least I know I am in a community of other spiney's who are going through similar things or have experienced similar. Being able to have a voice when going through something like this is so important. I think i'll go make a YT video about this today :) LOL. Use the bad for good as I always say :) haha.

    Thank God the meds are kicking in. I do think it will be a game of catch up today though. I am holding off on taking the 1030am Dilauded for as long as possible that way I have it to fall back on before my next dose of percocet.

    Thanks for reading my posts my friends, I love being in the company of you all and so thankful...

    Hugs and blessings...
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 7,385
    ....balance. I'm so glad the meds kicked in as quickly as they did for you. And the balance between your body really needing the sleep...but needed meds, also.

    As a family member, it is probably very difficult to think to wake you if you seem to be resting comfortably.

    I often feel it is more or equally difficult on our people who watch us suffer. Sounds like you have good support system.

    Best wishes for a more smooth recovery!
    Honorary Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

  • advertisement
  • I'm so sorry you're in severe pain. You might try putting ice on the area(-s) where your pain is worst. I'd never stopped to think if nerve pain can be reduced by icing the lower back - I'm wondering just now if it might reduce inflammation at the nerve roots. Anyway, I think it's worth a try. If that doesn't help, you could call your surgeon's after-hours number. Hopefully something will help soon. Agonizing pain is horrible ~X( !! Love 'n >:D< >:D< >:D< , Ess

  • So sorry to hear how much pain you are in.
    I hope that now even more time has elapsed, you are feeling even better and gettig control of the pain again.

    Gentle hugs
    >:D< >:D< >:D<

  • Trixi
    In jan 2007 C5 C6 C7 not a big deal. But in May 24th 2007 I had L3 L4 L5 S1 Fused with a Peek Cage at L4 L5. DO NOT LET YOUR MEDS GET OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM!!! I don't know what you had done but I assume its a fusion. #1 Get a paper & log Date time what you take & amount because the pain will make you forget!!! That way each day you can keep up & each week you will see some improvement. If you had lumbar fusion DO NOT SLEEP ON YOUR BACK!!! Lay on your side with a pillow between your legs & then roll out of the bed :). I had a dear friend with a bad back to give me tips. I hurt so bad I was begging to just DIE OR SOMEONE SHOOT ME!! I was on Dilauded which is a great drug. Percoet the dr should have told you that you could take 2 check with him on that!!! but not at the same time with the Dilauded that is a new one on me for a dr to give you both??? Once you let the pain get out of control its hard to get it under control :( I have been dealing with it for shoot since 2007 & its almost 2012 :( Now lycra did not help me at all for nerve pain but I know people that it has. I have tried many. I am on Topamax & it has done wonders for me. If its been a few weeks since your surgery you probably need Time Release pain meds & quick release for break thru pain :( that is what I am on & will be on for the rest of my life but not on a strong dose thank god. Stay strong don't let the pain get ahold of you, dont lay on your back, wear the brace!!!!! young lady you are a nurse you know what to do!!!
  • advertisement
  • I had my second surgery which was a T12 corpectomy a month ago along with hardware removal from my first botched surgery to remove a very large herniation. Same thing happened the first time I slept more than 3 hours about a week ago. He normally wakes me up at 530 before he's suppose to leave and he said he tried but I didn't wake up very well so he figured I needed sleep.

    I woke up at 10:30 with a whole body spasm or "convulsion" which is what it looked like and I couldn't even move to open my pill bottle. The pain was unbearable and took until that night to get under control with 5 mg Valium and 20 mg percocet every 5 hours.

    I've now made him promise to try harder no matter what I say or what I do he makes sure I take my pills. It's hard if you don't have someone physically there to help you remember or if they think they are helping by letting you sleep. I have slept thru my alarms as well.
  • Hello my friend!

    Thanks for responding!

    Balance, ah, yes, it is SO hard to achieve. Finding balance between your body and meds is hard to achieve. No if's and or buts, about it. It's hard! I know myself really well and know my limitations and have been increasing my time between dosing gradually and been tolerating it fine. Unfortunately, I had no control over this mornings venture!

    Turns out grandma thought I had taken my meds and was just sleeping in because I was tired from them. I thought my alarm was set because its always set and each night I change the times from AM to PM and vice versa in the morning. Anyway, my daughter was playing with my phone yesterday, she is almost 4 now and usually I let her play with and it's no big deal. Well, I guess yesterday I learned a BIG lesson, to check the alarms to ensure they are turned on because somehow in the midst of her playing with things she shouldn't, she turned off my alarms. Not really her fault, it's mine because typically I check them before going to sleep and I didn't do that last night, I was so exhausted I just went to sleep! after the Xanax kicked in and helped me quiet my mind. LOL.

    I think from experience and what i've read, it is not uncommon t o have something similar happen at least once.

    I an SO totally related to what you said about the burden and pain it causes my family who is caring for me and trying to care for my children, it's rough. It sucks point blank! Thankfully my grandma was a nurse for 33 years so she handle this stuff well. If it weren't for her it would be sheer and utter chaos! Regardless though they do still suffer. They have to cancel plans, they are restricted totally in what they can do because they have to watch my kids, I can't be alone with them both yet. I can handle them one at a time but two together, forget it!

    Thank you for your warm wishes. I hope that you are well and not having any current pain or problems. I will say some prayers for you just in case <3<br />
    Hugs and blessings....
  • >:D< Thank you my beloved Ess >:D<

    I did try the ice and it worked a bit so tomorrow i'm having my sister bring me my aqua pack from my house (she's house sitting). The aqua pack is super cool, it circulates ice cold sub zero practically water around your incision or area of pain. It's like a heating pad only it does both, icy cold and hot heat. Neat invention!

    As it worked out thankfully the 15mg of Percocet seemed to at least start to take the edge off. 2 hours later I took my Dilauded and then 4 hours later Percocet, 4 hours later Dilauded and then tonight i'll take Percocet again in an 1 1/2 hours. So far the pain has reduced and I found the more I was up walking and moving around, the better I responded to it. Needless to say I was up walking the house a lot today.

    I wish I could literally hug you back but since I can't, this will have to suffice...

    >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<

    Have a blessed night and thank you for the great advice and for ALL your help <3 You are amazing and I am blessed to have you in my life!
  • My beloved Jelly >:D<

    Thank you and yes, as the day went on I was able to gain more control. The greatest thing I did to reduce the pain was to walk! I walked circles through the house several times starting slow at first. When my mes started kicking in my 6 year old escorted me around the house for a lap. Then about two hours later we did it again and repeated every 1-2 hours after that. he was so good to me today <3 Now if I could just get him and his sister to stop fighting! Ah, well, that is another story itself!<br />
    Hugs and blessings to you, I hope you had a blessed day and catch my hugs... >:D< >:D< >:D< >:D<
  • Pstone,

    Thank you for your lengthy response! I love it! :) I love hearing other peoples experiences and advice! You are 100% correct about the meds. Usually I have a better grip on things, I think this is the first time I have been in horrible pain post op and the first time I have missed a dose. I have been religiously cautious when it comes to taking those meds. Being a nurse I know that once pain becomes intractable, it's unlikely to be controllable. I am just so totally amazed I slept so long. Unfortunately as I wrote in a post response above, I didn't realize my daughter had cleared out all my alarms while she was playing games on my phone today. Usually I check it before bed and last night i left that safety check out without thinking because I was relaxed and the Xanax had kicked in, all I wanted was sleep at that point!

    I was sleeping on my side. Unfortunately because of the complications I developed, Seroma's on my abdomen and a Seroman vs. Abscess on my spine, for the first 3 1/2 weeks the only positive I could sleep in was on my back. I have always been a side sleeper so this was very, very hard for me but I didn't have a choice. The fluid pocket (seroma) was so large that when I laid on either of my sides it pulled my abdomen with it and put pressure of tendons and ligaments as well as the muscles so it was horribly painful. I just started being able to side sleep less than a week ago! So much better!

    The first few days home my grandma who is a nurse dispensed my meds to me her way which confused me and my mom had a dream I was going to OD accidentally so I made a spreadsheet in Excel and we have used that, although now we both have memorized what pills are when, despite the quantity. LOL. Once a dose is taken it is checked off the paper and when a medication box is filled it is marked on the paper as well so we don't duplicate ourselves.

    I am taking 2mg of Dilauded however my internist just drastically decreased my dose to 1mg because he doesn't want me ending up on a Fentanyl patch after my next surgery in 4 weeks to complete my 360. I was upset at first but then fine with it, the pain will be tolerable, I only have a few more weeks and I see my surgeon on Thursday so he may go ahead and order the Fentanyl patch for me anyway. We will see. So as it stands now, i'm taking 2mg Dilauded and alternating it with 15mg of Percocet. On d/c they didn't want to put me on 20 because they were expecting me back for my second surgery which was scheduled for today but postponed due to anemia.

    I am sorry to hear you have ben through so much and are still dealing with some things. You mentioned that you tried Lyrica, so far it is working for me other than I suddenly have muscle twitches I never head before, makes me wonder if it's not related. I've had them since they tried me on Gabapentin in the hospital. Then the twitches were so bad if you were next me and I had one i would literally sock you in the face. No joking!

    I will ask my surgeon about time released meds and talk to him about different management options. he promised me pre-op he would not allow me to be in pain so we will see.

    I do wear my brace religiously when i'm sitting, standing or walking. I don't have to wear it in bed but I do if i'm at a high angle reclining in bed. Not comfortable at all but it is what it is.

    I am so sorry for your experience. I will keep you in my prayers! I have a YT journal that I try to update every couple of days with tips and things i've learned on this journey. If you are interested in following it or keeping in touch, let me know. I love lending support to others and helping people through things. The nurse in me will never die, even if i'm labeled disabled I will always have a caring, compassionate heart and love to teach people about health matters <3 <br />
    Thank you again for your wonderful advice and for sharing a bit of your story with me. That is one of the things I love so much about this place, everyone is so willing to talk openly and help each other. What a God send Spine Health has been for me! I hope you stay on a path toward healing and feeling good. God bless you my friend, I hope we can talk again soon..

Sign In or Register to comment.