Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

chronic neck pain for years..nothing helping

jessiel214jjessiel214 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
i am a 26 yr old female who has been dealing with severe neck and shoulder pain for years. in 2010 i had an mri (which i dont understand at all)on my cervical spine. the findings were that i have minimal disc bulge in c4-5, mild central disc heriation c5-6 that is flattening the dural sac. and disc potrusion c6-7. i do have a very narrow cervical canal. the pain is so severe i cant take care of my own baby or do any house work. they tell me all i need is excercise but i have tried that, pt, botox, meds and chiro. i am a recovering addict therefore can only take certain meds. its been 2 years of all this and i feel worse. any suggestions would be wonderful. i feel so alone like everyone thinks im a liar. please help i cant take much more
advertisement

Comments

• Hi,

I unfortunately know a lot of what you are going through. Have you seen a neurosurgeon?

Donna
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • jessiel214

Hmmm, I am sorry to hear this, and Yes, I too have neck pain,

I personally sometimes have placed a rolled towel under the curve of the neck for support, just so that it pushes the bones upward and so i lay flat on my back in bed. This may not be the best method to use, but i often use it myself.

I figured from my own personal experience that sometimes one can feel alone and think no one understands you better than oneself. I personally try to look at positive things and concentrate off the pain, and lying down in a way that is comfortable, that way instead of pain taking control, one takes control of it! personally i believe on a positive note it helps one develop in other ways :).

(someone cares) x

• advertisement

• First of all, welcome to Spine Health.
    I am sure that you will discover how much it helps to find others who are going through very similar problems to you. >:D<

There are lots of us here who know that feeling that the doctor doesn't really listen / take on board what we are saying when we describe our symptoms.
    I try to tell myself that they hear the same all day, and so move on very quickly to other parts of the appointment. It can leave us feeling that they don't believe us / think we are exagerating / or just plain ignoring the symptoms. I think that they try to get through all they have to do in an appointment as quickly as they can.

The fact that you have a narrow spinal canal will mean that you will have symptoms quicker than someone with plenty of room for the cord. It also means that they need to keep an eye on you. Are you having follow up appointments to keep watching how things progress? I have 6 monthly appointments to review how my cord compression is doing.

Did you have an injury that caused your neck pain?

I have weekly physiotherapy, which I believe is helping to keep my mobility. I have been told not to visit a chiropractor as it could cause a serious problem with discs already compressing my cord. I have also been told not to take part in sports.

I feel that you should let someone know that you are struggling to take care of your baby and do housework. Can you get another opinion? I wonder if the fact that you are a recovering addict is affecting how they treat you. There must be someone who will help you.

Please don't give up hope of getting help.
    Seek out someone to help you.
    Stay here and you will find lots of others who will support you, and as I say, just knowing that you are not alone is helpful.

• Its really painful for all who having the neck pain. I am also suffering with this neck pain and doing the exercises. Don't know whether it will be effective or not. Beside this we need to be aware about our other parts of the body

EDITED

Standards agreement and posting rules
    Please note that Spine-Health reserves the right to edit any messages posted or submitted or e-mailed to the Company and use them for content on the website or in other company materials. No e-mail solicitation or advertising of other companies, products, services, or web sites is permitted in the Spine-Health.com forums.

Post Edited by Authority Member Liz
  • jessiel214 said:
    i am a 26 yr old female who has been dealing with severe neck and shoulder pain for years. in 2010 i had an mri (which i dont understand at all)on my cervical spine. the findings were that i have minimal disc bulge in c4-5, mild central disc heriation c5-6 that is flattening the dural sac. and disc potrusion c6-7. i do have a very narrow cervical canal. the pain is so severe i cant take care of my own baby or do any house work. they tell me all i need is excercise but i have tried that, pt, botox, meds and chiro. i am a recovering addict therefore can only take certain meds. its been 2 years of all this and i feel worse. any suggestions would be wonderful. i feel so alone like everyone thinks im a liar. please help i cant take much more
    I hear ya! I would have doctors tell me that I should not me in so much pain. I have been accused of being a drug seeker. FINALLY I saw a surgeon who told me that in addition to the herniations my spine in congenitally to narrow.

I wish that God would play doctor instead of doctors playing God.

I don't have a drug problem but I have been accused of being a drug seeker and many others I know with chronic pain have gotten the same treatment. As someone who has chronic pain I know that you are not faking and it breaks my heart to hear that you have overcome addiction (which is also a disease) only to suffer pain.

Even rich folks like Peyton Manning can't get his neck fixed. After 3 failed surgeries for a bulging disk he finally went to Europe for stem cell therapy.

Out of desperation I have been searching for ways to deal with pain. I was watching Dr Oz and he recommended castor oil on the areas that hurt along with some plastic wrap and a heating pad. It works! it will not get rid of all your pain but it will cut it down and it lasts all day for me.

Analgesic balms and Capsazian also helps me some.

There is a hormone called oxytocin that cut pain. I don't know how to get it other than from having sex but when you are in pain who wants to have sex?

Dr Oz says that people who breath in oxytocin had a huge reduction in pain.

It is very frustrating that a few millimeters of space can cause so much suffering. What you need like most of us is your neck fixed somehow. Since everyone is different there is no one answer and unfortunately finding the right surgeon if a crap shoot.

I have read good things about partial diskectomies and disk implants.

• advertisement
advertisement