Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

100 hundred days

advertisement

Comments

• So are you back from Mississippi yet?
    Hope you had a good time visiting your Dad.

You got your kids to lock you in your room.LOL
    What were you being a bad girl, or just your way of avoiding them?

Welp the 27th is almost here, so hoping you havent sneaked any. Then you can get this surgery done with.

I really dont know why cig's are addicting, but them doctors dont make it easy by telling someone to quit doing something that we have been doing for 20 maybe 30 years. But i guess you dont have much of a choice.

I started therapy 3 weeks ago, and this past friday at my appt. with the PM doctor, they did a urine test on me. So i'm glad now that i did stay quit, as it looks like w/c is having me pee in a bottle too.
    Todays day 145. and it is getting easier. Just need to keep our mind off them, dont think about smoking and you can be successful.

Let us know how your doctor appt. goes
    Best of luck.
  • Back from Mississippi today... was so nice to get away. It has almost been a month I can not wait to go to the doctor and get this over with. I lock myself in the room so I do not beat my children lol... Too much time with a 14 and 12 year old will make me insane so myself and my 3 year old grand daughter ( my mini me) lock ourselves in the bedroom and watch tv... so peaceful...
    She is too funny.... When my older kids are bugging me I usually say no then they continue to ask and I finally say my freaking back hurts we can't... so before we left for Vacation I said Kadence can you pick that up and hand it to grandma she looks at me puts her hand on her low back and says no my freaking back hurts grandma and walks away ... Yep.. grandma complains tooo much ...
    I stopped going to PM and am having my doctor mange my pain PM was way over medicating me, Mine is mostly nerve pain so medication helps but the pain never goes away. So the morphine and Fentanal patch were way too much and did the same thing as the weaker medications,I was just high. So no peeing in a bottle anymore but I know the neurosurgeon will do a blood draw no worries tho... I am so so ready... Hope therapy is going good and the pain is decreasing... Take care and thanks for the support
    Sheryl
  • advertisement
  • you are doing awesome! You can do it! Do you have an appointment at the end of the month to schedule your surgery?

I am so glad that I quit and could have my surgery. Oh boy, it wasn't easy though. I still get cravings but just push through it.

I had my surgery 2 weeks ago. Am definitely feeling better than right after surgery, but now recovery has slowed down.But it is a marathon.

Keep up the great work Sheryl! Jim, hope recovery is going okay for you. With you not smoking, it will help so much!
    >:D<
    Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • There you are .. I was wondering about you.. so glad you had your surgery and are pushing through the recovery.. I know from my first two surgeries it is not easy.. that is what I am telling myself I have to do it .. and I am so thank full for all of you
    Congratulations and Get better soon
    Sheryl
  • Hi; and hows everything going?
    You definitely are dealing with alot having 2 kids, and 1 grandchild along with quitting smoking for surgery.
    Ican definitely see it being harder for you then me on quitting.
    All i have with me is my 19 y/o daughter, and she keeps an eye on me making sure i dont smoke again.
    My son has his own house, so he just asks me about it occasionally.

So when the big day? For your surgery.

Karen, Hi and thanks.
    I think i'm completely done with the habit. I no longer have any craving for a smoke, but i'm not around anyone that smokes, and i'm sure that is a big help for me.

Just now starting to cough up the junk in my lungs, from all these years of smoking.
    And yesterday was 5 months, so it took a long time before i starting to see any benefits from quitting, but i'm gonna stick with it,

Best of luck to y'all.
  • advertisement
  • Oh believe me it is hard but getting easier although sometimes I have to lock myself in my room for a quick reality check lol ...
    Went to the doctors Monday and he has put in the request for screw removal and revision of fusion. He wants to take out the screws and add bone to support the spine since the only thing that will be holding my three vertebra together will be the small amount of bone that grew on the cages linking it to the vertebra. SO if no bone grows this time it will be completely unstable which is his concern that the cages wont be strong enough to keep my spine in alignment.
    Oh well just wanting it all over with hopefully by the time it is over there will be no urge to smoke or anything else. I think I need to start drinking or something to relax lol.. the kids are alot of help but its tough not to pick up the babies when they are looking at you wanting to be loved...
    I am about to beat my two kids 15 and 12 because really I had to get off my big butt to send them to their rooms for not sharing the ps3....
    I am using my tread mill as much as I can and paying for it of course but I know from being a nurse being healthy will make the recovery go faster... and easier ...
    Jim you are doing great and I am so impressed very proud of you HUGS ...
    Will let ya know as soon as comp approves and the date is set ..
    Have a great week
    Sheryl :)
  • If you are dealing with w/c for this surgery, make sure you stay quit on the smoking.
    I'm dealing with w/c and they had me do a pee test about 2 weeks ago, they are just looking for an excuse to drop me, by saying i'm not complying with doctor's recommendation to quit smoking so my back has a better chance of fusing.
    But i'm mentally stronger then that, and i will stay quit at least until this w/c case is over.
    And probably for good. will stay quit.

Yesterday i seen my NS and we were laughing about this. He tells me "well jim i did'nt get rid of your pain but i saved your life, by getting you to quit smoking".
    But now if i dont fuse i got from the 1st surgery 2 rods and 6 screws. And from the second surgery a plate and 4 screws, so my spine should be stable whether i fuse or not, i think.

And w/c cant say i did'nt follow doctors instructions.

So anyway do your best at staying quit. No sneakies
  • lol I think my neurosurgeon knows me pretty good and I def want to stay quit but he is putting screw removal and revision that way they wont test me prior to surgery lol ... he just says are ya gonna keep it up this time and I say yes he winks and I leave the office. Ya that is me to he doesnt think the pain will go away he pretty much told me to deal with this the rest of my life... I tolerate it better then most I think because I am so use to it.. I will not be sneaky tho I can not have comp drop me and I will not give them a reason to... I would much rather keep the hardware until absolutely needed but if I do not do this going back to work will be a def no at least doing it there is a half chance ...
    How is your recovery going? Work anytime in the future ?
    Sheryl
  • Well thats definitely a good thing when the doctor knows you and will back you up, and show he's on your side. That means alot to us as patients.

Nope on the working. i been off work 23 months now.
    I'm a semi-truck driver, and with 2 back surgeries even if i fused i dont see that as being smart climbing back into a drivers seat.
    I'm collecting part of my w/c check, after they take out for alimony. ~X( And in August of 2010 i applied for SSD, after my NS and other doctors and my w/c lawyer all gave me the thumbs-up on going for it. Then in October 2010, i was approved for SSD. So i just need a couple more things to fall in place, and i'll then say that work is a thing of the past for me.

It is sad tho having to jump thru hoops for w/c, but it has to be done.
  • I dated a truck driver for five years and I am positive jumping back in that truck would be a bad idea although he hauled scrap and hazard material but I use to go with him and he would jump around that truck like a monkey lol ... so no good thing you got your ssd... I applied for that through the advice of my wc lawyer.. they need more information so they called with an appt at another doctor on March 15th.. I was skeptical cuz I get my whole wc comp check and it is way more the ssd would be...
    Very true wv makes everything very difficult, I keep in contact with the insurance guy who sends me my workmans comp checks very nice guy joke back and forth and he really does do his best to get me everything I need.. they are over loaded with cases I think he said he had over three hundred workmans comp cases asgigned to him Could you imagine I was a nurse manager had 20 or more employees to worry about barely kept up with that let alone paying them thank god for human resources ... I do agree tho I would rather be anywhere then on workmans comp
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.