Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Neck brace issues - losing my mind

Comments

• I know it is pain and suffering in itself but you must do EXACTLY what your Doctor says. I did so for 3 long months and I could not take it off at all! Not even in the shower. Why? In order for other things to heal. Yes, I suppose u can look at it as counter productive, but there is a reason for the brace, even if it means creating weakness within those neck muscles. A good PT regime after the fact will strengthen them up later. My advice? Deal with it a day at a time. It's when you worry about tomorrow and weeks ahead that things become unamanageable.
    Realize that FEAR is our worst enemy. Get up & get out in that stormy weather of the real world & kick fear in the teeth. Stare at it dead in the eyes & walk right through it into the storm; because once you're wet, you won’t fear the rain anymore
  • cool than silks or satins.........one that you can change out and replace as needed.
  • advertisement
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 106
    A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. I had an occipitocervical fusion following a two step decompression (resection of odontoideum to relieve pressure on brainstem) and wore the neck brace 24/7 for 14 weeks. I can't say it was easy, but for my own good, I just had to do it. After taking it off, I had to wear a soft collar for two more weeks. If your surgeon says you have to do it, just do it. It's for your own good. You just need a little patience and courage. I hope you're doing well!
  • I had a fusion at c5/6 and my doc never had me have a brace period. I actually felt very uncomfortable with this, in particular the 1 hour drive home (after not being outside for sometime) , omg it was torture. That was 2009 and I still get shivers thinking about it
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.