Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.

wife cant handle it, no one has any answers...need help please.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 11,633
    doing are the right things.

I always stress to members here to do a lot of research so that they can become the 'expert' in terms of their medication condition.

It makes it so much easier discussing diagnostic tests, various surgical procedures, treatments, etc with different doctors.

Right now, pain has almost consumed all of your day. Many of us understand that, we've been there. In time, things will change. I am not saying that the pain will disappear, but your body both physically and emotionally learns how to deal with it all.

I had my first spinal surgery back in 1978 and you can read the rest of my history, but what has helped me the most was going to a physiatrist .

I've been going to mine for over 6 years now and she has totally managed my situation. From diagnostic testing, surgical procedures, treatments, she coordinates it all. Plus she has recommended several non-conventional, alternative type of medical treatments.

The first step I believe in dealing with chronic pain, is to first see that medically it can be managed. That could mean an assortment of various medications , not just narcotic pain medications. Take a quick look at our FAQ and search down for "The Blend" That was something I put together a while ago and it has really be a positive ally for me.

The other step you will eventually take is to stop thinking about what you can no longer do. No matter what your age is. Instead focus in on what you are still able to do and explore things that you never thought you could do.

A Recipe for Living with Chronic Pain:
    Research - Become the expert, know more than all the others.

The Right Medical person - having the right person is so very important. There are various types of medical professionals that can be involved here. Neurologists, Physiatrists , Pain Management doctors, Physical Therapists, etc. You need and want them working side by side with you.

Adjustments - Be it exercise, treatments, medications, diet, etc. Much is a trial and error situation. Finding the right combination of life activities and events is very important.

Positive Attitude - sometimes the most powerful of the four.

Megan, I am very glad that your husband, Aaron, found this site and started posting.

This site has so much more to offer than just these forums. The detailed medical articles and videos cover just about every aspect of spinal problems and well being.

Here on the forums, you will meet people that have been in your shoes, understand what you are going through. In many ways, this is a large international support group.

Then at times you and others have to deal with me.
    I can be totally supportive and understanding, though there are times when I just write bluntly, perhaps coined "tough love"

My objective as well as this site is to help as many people as possible in any way we can

Take care, get better, you will.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Megan (and Aaron), I am so sorry you are going through this, and at such a young age. I can relate as I struggled for many years with pain and suffering, and many doctors just brush you off when you are young (I am only 29). You have definitely have had your fair share of complications from the surgery, and I am sorry that you continue to suffer like this. If you don't feel like your doctors are taking you seriously, then you need to find someone who WILL. It took me 10+ years of searching, but I finally have a great team of doctors. I am a complicated patient as well with a lot of medical problems, so it was important to find doctors that I trust, who are willing to see past me being young and work on getting me to a point where I can function. Whatever you do, do NOT give up. You are still young and have a lot of life to live, and hopefully you can find treatment to make life more tolerable and even enjoyable. (((gentle hugs)))
  • advertisement
  • hey guys, thanks for you comments and support. It is a serious struggle every day and wears on both of us when it comes to what we should do and doctor after doctor who tells us they dont know what to do.

Megan did find something on the internet about how the "cages" that are put into peoples backs are only approved by the FDA to go through the front (anterior) and not through the back (posterior) because of the amount of scar tissue with the wound. Megans doctor put a cage in posteriorly. The main reason for goin through the front instead of the back is because of the nerves. The nerve endings go to the back and not the front. I have been trying to find a good site that can give me this information because my wife cant remember what the name of it was. I feel as if there could be a possibility of a lawsuit if at the time of her surgery the FDA didnt approve for the posterior approach. Any thoughts or suggestions on this. And if anyone knows the medical name for these "cages" that are inserted around your vertebrae please let me know.
  • Aaron - a good medical lawyer knows all these terms and other info. Often times medical lawyers use to be Drs or they have a PA or some other medical education or at least someone with such on their staff.

My hubby was a coal miner for 17 yrs and had an injury in his knee that effected his walk, balance etc. When we went to a medical lawyer, he knew right away from looking at hubby's tests results and such that it was a case that could not be proved.

If the lawyer is good, they can walk you through all of this.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • ok thanks, i just wanna find out the truth about this matter and be sure of what we think is true before trying to get too deep into it (money wise).
  • advertisement
  • Just a quickie to say that I had a 2-level fusion in 2010 and the cages were inserted inbetween the vertebrae (not around them). My surgeon also went through the back (posteriorly) and not through the front - hence the name 'posterior lumbar interbody fusion'. As far as I know, it's a common approach my particular surgeon uses and he has been performing it for nearly 20 years now.

I am sure there are many different hardware options that could be used. Perhaps it depends on where the surgeons trained, or cost implications etc. I have no idea.

Unfortunately my chronic back pain continues and amongst other things, one reason is because of scar tissue damage (as the fusion was my third operation). However, I was made aware of all the pro's and con's before surgery by my surgeon and had to sign a consent form accepting it all before the operation - as I believe everyone should/does.

I really hope you and Megan can gather all the evidence and research that's necessary for you to make an informed decision about whether to take the matter further or not.

Will you please let us all know how you both get on?
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • Aaron and Megan - you've got some good advice here. We put our bodies into the hands of surgeons and if we're not treated well, it seems that we often get swept under the rug as no one wants to admit they made a mistake. I am very fortunate that I had a great surgeon. Not such good care in the hospital, but when you've had people neglect a bad infection, that's ridiculous. I would explore some legal options there.

Ron gives you good advice on making sure you have one person to coordinate your care. I did try pain management when my first surgeon told me there was nothing they could do for me. All they had to offer me was a spinal cord stimulator, and I refused. I found a good research university hospital and had an orthopedic surgeon work on me. I had two surgeries, four days apart - first from the back to put in the hardware, then from the front to put in the cages, graft, BMP, and marrow. I know, even though I had a great surgeon, I suffered horribly. I can only imagine what Megan is experiencing.

All the best. I hope you can get some relief and some satisfaction from the whole situation.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Aaron, Please keep us updated on all aspects of how your wife is doing please :)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.