Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MD Decided That I No Longer Need Pain Meds

advertisement

Comments

• I fully understand how you feel. I had a job that I really enjoyed, except for the last year, when the pain was so bad that I think the entire company hated me! I know I was not pleasant to be around. One's body can only handle so much physically, emotionally, etc. Being a nurse, I suppose I am preaching to the choir here, but I had to sit for long periods and of course worked on a computer ... 2 of the many activities that turn on and turn up the pain switch.

I guess what we are all trying to say is that we don't want you to suffer needlessly. Seems to me you DO have an opportune time to change PCP and Pain Management Physicians. It was difficult for me to do when I moved, but I had no choice. Actually I lived 2 years without decent health insurance while awaiting my disability decision, after which I qualified for Medicare. It is your body and your pain. You know what is best for you. We are all here to listen and comment. Please, please don't suffer. The every day stresses only intensify the pain. Please get some relief. Keep us posted. >:D<
    Rassy

Rassy's Story
    Under House Arrest Without the Ankle Bracelet :-)
    The remarks I make are strictly my own based on my personal experiences.
  • Hi Ron :H ,

No disrespect intended, but, unfortunately, some of us do not have a choice when it comes to SSDI. When I lost my job in 2008, I had coincidentally applied for SSDI. As you know, that was not a good time for anyone, let alone someone faced with debilitating pain. My husband lost his not too long after I lost mine. Being the ages that we were at the time, he filed for early retirement and I for SSDI. Actually my PCP at the time had suggested I apply for it earlier than I did. I put it off as long as I could. I keep telling my husband I would gladly trade my job for this horrible pain any day.

I am so glad that I found your website. Nice to have a "lifeline to the outer world". I don't drive very often or very far because of the pain and the meds I take. Feel like I am under house arrest without the ankle bracelet :))) .
    Rassy

Rassy's Story
  • advertisement
  • I have to agree with that - I have been on a variety of pain meds for many, many years as many here have been. If you do become immune, or used to one, you switch to another and can go back to that one after 6 months or a year. I have swapped between lortab and percocett numerous times. What he/she said makes no sense at all to me either. I think it is great when people can get better, get strong and everything works for them. Not everyone, or hardly anyone is that fortunate however.
    I also think that doctors that have no knowledge of how "we" feel, can decide for us when it's time to be off pain meds. That is a ridiculous statement in itself. We know our bodies, how much pain we can tolerate, and I am pretty sure we'd all rather be skipping happily to work each day than being married to a doctor who doles out what he thinks is correct and crawling down the road we're on currently. I know I would!
  • Robin, so sorry to hear that your doctor is treating you like that. Unless you live in a really small town, I doubt you would get the label of "problem child" :) Switch doctors, especially now with the insurance change, it's a perfect time.

As someone has already said, it is YOUR body. It is your future, your well-being, your decision. Any doctor that tries to make you feel bad, problematic, guilty, or anything other than comfortable with them is the wrong doctor.

good luck!
  • Although I posted after joining 30 minutes after the fact, my points should not be lost.Perhaps there are other forums where people aren't so nervous about not having access to pain meds and want to discuss other ways to address pain than opioids.

I am happy that I have made the decision to take the least possible amt of opioids after reading the comments. I intend on living my best life possible, without a clouded head and if one is comfortable in their own way of doing things, my decisions should not lead to defensiveness.

Even a small group of people who are so pro-opioid cause problems for people, in terms of perception in society.

As you stated, you have been here only a short period of time. There is no way you could possibly understand the various discussions and dialogue that goes on here. People here are informed and get more information as they stay here.
    Your plight or ways is fine for you. I am happy that you have found a path. But do not think that your way is a path that all others should follow. People here are not nervous about not having access to medications or discussing other alternatives. People here are smart and educated about their conditions. Unfortunately, you would not know that since your time here was not spent on reading and understanding. If you feel there are other forums and web sites that will address your needs, then please I encourage to find someplace that will make you happy, since we have obviously not met your expectations.

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 02/07/12
  • advertisement
  • working2gain- Again, I appreciate your comments but have to disagree with your opinion. I'm not at all nervous about losing access to pain meds and in fact would be jumping for joy if my pain were to magically disappear tomorrow.

What I AM nervous about is being able to function, about being able to go to work every day and support my daughter, about being able to send her to college later this year, about becoming disabled, about living in agony. I AM nervous that the pain management doctor thinks that monthly injections will work for me (despite the fact that these last ones did not) and that my insurance only covers a total of 6 injections per year. In fact, I still need to check into things with my insurance company to see if the injections I'm supposed to get next Friday will be covered since I already had 6 injections two weeks ago. The way things are worded, it sounds as if they "allow" you to have spinal injections for pain control every couple of months, totaling 6 per year. But I'm not clear on how they handle a situation where 6 injections are done at one time.

Working2gain, it sounds as if you are well on your way to recovery and a pain free life and if that's the case, I'm happy for you. Count yourself as one of the lucky ones. And since you are one of the lucky ones, as Ron said, maybe this isn't the forum for you. If you are pain free and having no more issues with your back or neck, then there really is no reason for you to hang around here and try to make everyone else feel bad that they are NOT as lucky.

Ron was also right when he said that you really can't understand what people here go through if you haven't taken the time to read. You can't just skim through a couple of posts and ASSUME that the person is just weak and wants drugs for the sake of getting drugs just because YOU don't need them anymore. I read here for a really long time before I ever posted and in fact was a member here years ago. But then when my latest problem happened, I no longer remembered my login so I had to re-register. I don't post that frequently, but this really is a great group of people who have been through the ringer with all the spine issues and I commend them for sharing so unselfishly.

As I said...good luck to you. But please do not judge all of us here. Karma has a way of catching up to people who thumb their noses at those less fortunate. Remember that and if you ever find yourself in a similar situation as many others here, I have no doubt that you will be welcomed with open arms. If not, go live your pain free life and make the most of it.

:)
  • My hat is off to anyone who can live without narcotic and opiate pain meds. I cannot. I tolerate the side effects of the meds far better than I do the intense constant pain and, yes, I have had dosage increases periodically. Some things just can't be fixed and I am at a point in my pain journey that meds are my only relief. I agree with Ron's comments, but do hope you will give us all a chance. Who knows. You just find some helpful comments out here.

At the risk of repeating myself we all know what we can tolerate and where our limitation lie. I would never profess to post my comments with the intent to offend anyone or their methods of coping with their pain. If I have done so, I do apologize. I am glad to have a place to come to read other thoughts and ideas, or just vent. Quite honestly, I have seen some very interesting comments from people and their battle with chronic pain. I hope to maybe make some new friends along the way, too. Wish you the best.
    Rassy

Rassy's Story
  • I agree with Ron - it's time to fire your doctors!! I only got pain meds from my surgeon for the first three months after my surgery. After that, responsibility for those meds was transferred to my Internist, and four years later, I still occasionally refill the prescription. I am thankful that I have recovered to the point where I don't need them that often, but when I am in pain, there's no amount of tylenol that's going to do it. I can't take NSAIDs because I'm a weightloss surgery patient, so it's basically oxycodone or nothing. Those of you who are not that far out on your surgery have my sincere sympathy. I don't think you should put up with this kind of treatment (or lack thereof).
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Please do not walk, but RUN from that doctor. I am sorry, but any doctor who threatens inpatient rehab for a patient with very legitimate pain issues is simply not worth your time OR your money. I urge you to search for a new PM doc AND surgeon for a second opinion. Remember, YOU are the one in charge of your care and YOU are the one that gets to decide what is acceptable and what is not, and it sounds like you already know the answer to this one.
  • "People here are not nervous about not having access to medications or discussing other alternatives. Unfortunately, you would not know that since your time here was not spent on reading and understanding. If you feel there are other forums and web sites that will address your needs, then please I encourage to find someplace that will make you happy, since we have obviously not met your expectations."
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.