Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

MD Decided That I No Longer Need Pain Meds

Comments

• dilauro said:
    I was approved for it many years ago, but I refused. As long as I am able to work and be someone productive, I am going to do it.
    Hi Ron;

I know that you probably didn't intend it to sound this way, but even though I can no longer work, and am on disability, I am still productive in many other ways, as are many others...
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 13,582
    I was talking about myself and no one else. I was approved for disability and because I knew I could continue my previous job (IBM) and now as a Wine Salesman, I didnt want to take it.

I am sorry that I offended anyone with my comment about disability. This was purely personal , for myself and I and has no bearing on any other individual.

I know many people who are disabled and are very productive, probably a lot more productive then I am at times.
    Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences 
  • advertisement
  • clouded head? opoids are bad?
    what is this guy saying? he obviously does not know or care to know about chronic pain patients. well my friend, my mind is so clouded, i teach special educaton kids in high school. my mind is so clouded i hold meetings with parents, students and administrators. my mind is so clouded that i test students and write up IEP's. my mind is so clouded i drive 30 miles to work everyday, go home, raise a family etc etc. this guy really fries my bacon. like ron said, run don't walk to another web site that best suits your ideas. i have been on pain meds for 10 years and can function normally.
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • terror8396 said:
    clouded head? opoids are bad?
    what is this guy saying? he obviously does not know or care to know about chronic pain patients. well my friend, my mind is so clouded, i teach special educaton kids in high school. my mind is so clouded i hold meetings with parents, students and administrators. my mind is so clouded that i test students and write up IEP's. my mind is so clouded i drive 30 miles to work everyday, go home, raise a family etc etc. this guy really fries my bacon. like ron said, run don't walk to another web site that best suits your ideas. i have been on pain meds for 10 years and can function normally.
    jon
    Well you were much more to the point than I was. LOL But you're right. I'm an RN and though I now have a desk job because of my back issues, I still have to function a very high cognitive capacity which means that I would not be able to do my job if I were clouded. People just don't understand until they've walked a mile in our shoes.

• Hi Robin,
    It sounds to me that this pain doc as gotten to comfy with you and thinks he can say and get away with saying such things.
    Like you stated it's like a bad marriage, and I so get that we get that it's so hard to switch and then you get from the new doc....all the ????'s why are you switching.
    I have been thru a few pain docs and I let them know why I was leaving and never referring others to them (unless I knew of druggies). My issues is they get pissed when the injections don't work. And I was told by all of my docs. Only 3 esi per yr. and I had the 4 facet ones. but I say 6 wow and more.
    Easiest for you to simple say my insurance has changed and leave it at that.
    I so want to work myself doing anything. I give you a lot of credit for wanting to do the right thing. It is so frustrating to get these docs to listen, I think they take it so personal when they can't fix us up with these shots. Me I won't get them, last pm I fired injected so much into me I swelled up.
    Funny how those files go poof.
    Please get into another doc as soon as possible, we are chronic pain people and we have to demand respect.
    tc and let us know how you do, I'm also interviewing (as I call it) finding a new pain doc.
    neck,bone spurs pain started 04, back issues and fusion l4,l5 06~hardware removed.
    good few yrs. 09 pain sharp, numbness feet,legs, diagnosed fibro, neurop. legs.lung issues.
    daily goal do good thing for someone.
  • advertisement
  • starsinhereyes said:
    Hi Robin,
    It sounds to me that this pain doc as gotten to comfy with you and thinks he can say and get away with saying such things.
    Like you stated it's like a bad marriage, and I so get that we get that it's so hard to switch and then you get from the new doc....all the ????'s why are you switching.
    Actually, the pain doctor is new for me...that was the first time I ever saw him. He came into the room and before talking to me, listening to my issues, or even really finding out my history or how I was doing, he said, "I want you off of all pain meds within 6 months or you'll have to go to inpatient rehab which is extremely unpleasant." It was my primary care doc that I said was like being in a bad marriage.

I've been keeping a pain diary for the past couple of weeks and the one thing that's becoming really clear, is that before when I was taking my meds 4x daily on schedule, my pain level was running about 3-5 on a daily basis. I was functional and working and though my pain never went away completely and some days it was a lot worse than others, I felt like I was doing pretty good. Now just two weeks on the 3x daily, my pain levels have increased up to 6-8. The difference I think is that before I was taking them about every 4 hours and then once I was at home and could lie down, I usually did not take a bedtime dose. Now I'm going 7-8 hours between doses so the pain gets out of control before it's time for pain meds. Starting on Monday, I plan to go down to 2x daily for a couple of weeks and I suspect it will only get worse from there. Today I had to go pick up my refill and the doc already decreased it from 240/mth to 180/mth.

Just a little while ago, before I took my pain meds, my level had gotten up to a 9 and I was almost in tears it was so bad. The nerve pain going down my left hip, wrapping around to the front of my thigh, and on down to my foot was excruciating. (as I'm sure you all know too well)

I do need to go ahead and research some docs at the hospital I work at now and see who might be taking on new patients. Our insurance did change, but a couple of the PCPs I called told me they weren't accepting new patients. So I guess I just need to call a few more. I just want to be sure that I get a good one...someone who is willing to manage me and allow me to continue to be functional. It won't do me any good if I just wind up with another one who doesn't care about my pain and doesn't care if I'm functional or not and just wants me off of everything.
  • let me get this out of the way first... To Mister "Advanced Degree", people who "drop" bona fides are like name droppers. Puffing up your chest on the internet is hilarious and pitiful at the same time. You get a big fat zero for respect.

Robin, don't torture yourself. The problem (in my opinion!) with waiting to take your pain medication is that the pain gets so out of control, as you already admitted, the pain meds are no longer effective. You end up needing more. I have the greatest pain doctor™, and he told me from the start to take it as soon as the pain starts getting that "edge" to it. I find I end up taking less in the end. If I wait, I usually have to take more in a few hours. If I take it once that edge starts cutting, the pain goes away and I'm good for many hours more.

The first board I joined this week was one more oriented towards the drugs rather than the pain. One thing that is such a striking difference here is the majority discussing pain vs. the pain medication. Not everyone has an addiction, or addictive tendencies, and we shouldn't be treated as such by ignorant, sanctimonious "health care professional with advanced degree" droppers.

• Certifried said:
    let me get this out of the way first... To Mister "Advanced Degree", people who "drop" bona fides are like name droppers. Puffing up your chest on the internet is hilarious and pitiful at the same time. You get a big fat zero for respect.

Robin, don't torture yourself. The problem (in my opinion!) with waiting to take your pain medication is that the pain gets so out of control, as you already admitted, the pain meds are no longer effective. You end up needing more. I have the greatest pain doctor™, and he told me from the start to take it as soon as the pain starts getting that "edge" to it. I find I end up taking less in the end. If I wait, I usually have to take more in a few hours. If I take it once that edge starts cutting, the pain goes away and I'm good for many hours more.

The first board I joined this week was one more oriented towards the drugs rather than the pain. One thing that is such a striking difference here is the majority discussing pain vs. the pain medication. Not everyone has an addiction, or addictive tendencies, and we shouldn't be treated as such by ignorant, sanctimonious "health care professional with advanced degree" droppers.

I had to laugh about your comments to "To Mister Advanced Degree"...right on the money there.

You're also absolutely right about the pain and the importance of NOT waiting until it gets out of control. I'm a nurse and one thing that I used to tell the patients I took care of was to call me when their pain started coming back...not to wait until it was so far gone that the meds wouldn't do as good a job. I know this. You know this. And even pain doctors worth their salt know this. Problem is, the average doctor either does not know this or has so many preconceived notions about "people who take pain meds" that they put up a mental block and automatically think less is better and none is best of all.

I absolutely see a difference in my pain levels when I am having to wait 6-8 hours to take something when my pain has already come back at 4 hours. It's miserable and you're also right that it seems the pain meds are not as effective when the pain gets that far gone. That's exactly what I'm dealing with now. My pain will get up to an 8 or 9 and by then, I'm dying and desperate for relief, but then after taking the pain meds, the level only gets down to a 5 or 6 which used to be the high end for me. Why is that acceptable to doctors? Shouldn't a human being be entitled to good pain relief if it's within the doctor's scope and ability to make that happen?

First do no harm. Yeah right. That's a bunch of baloney. :(
  • I also have an "advanced degree"...but still need pain meds for my multiple thoracic/lumbar issues, and could not get through the day without them...and guess what, I take oxy drugs too. The meds do change your opoid receptors in your brain in many ways and that is unfortunate and because of this, most people will need increases in their meds, plus some unkind side effects.

I am not, nor will I ever accept that I am addicted to these drugs, and would never agree to inpatient rehab...for what???? Never had pain meds before my fusion at age 50. I only take the meds for pain and like you, but still have pain levels from 5 to 8 everyday. Have had 11 procedures other than the fusion, none worked for me, and actually caused me to have cushingoid symptoms from all the steroids.

You are the second person that has mentioned that their PM doctor wanted them to enter inpatient rehab for drug use. I am livid that patients are being treated like drug addicts, instead of treating the pain. Yes, if you take pain meds you are physically dependent. We all know this, but people with spine issues generally did not create their spine issues but are having to react to the pain. If you read material from the medical community, it is your right to have your pain managed appropriately.

If there was a magic invasive procedure, there would be no one on this site, correct??? Obviously, pm doctors can not offer us a permanent solution, so to suggest that you get off your meds completely is crazy.

Utimately we have the right to decline a procedure and should not be brow beaten or given an ultimatium for doing so. Only we as patients can determine what is best for us. Risk vs. benefits.

I think as long as you follow the rules completely, show effort with other modalities to decrease pain; ice, heat, tens, PT, then you should be treated correctly for the chronic pain, and with dignity and respect.

I don't see these doctors talking about the risks of the invasive procedures; such as infection, scar tissue, arachnoiditis, endocrine issues, degradation of the disc, osteoporosis from excessive steroids. It is really a toss up, and everyone has to make up their own minds about how they want their journey to be.

Lisa

• yes i also have an advanced degree- a masters in special education. it was a struggle due to my clouded brain and lack of thinking skills according to our resident expert on pain meds. my thesis was on a specific workability program helping or not helping special education high school students. let me think, my brain is getting cloudy again, oh yea, the program helped the students.
    those meds make me soo stoooopid
    jon
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.