Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement

Quick Start Forum Video Tutorial

Forum-Tutorial-Screenshot
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

The main site has all the formal medical articles and videos for you to research on.
advertisement

Chronic Pain Handbook

JohnJJohn Posts: 964
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:00 AM in Chronic Pain
Have a look at this, hope it helps.

http://www.foresttennant.com/pdfs/IntractablePainSurvival.pdf

Take care John
advertisement

Comments

• If nothing else, it helps us to see why some doctors are so reluctant to prescribe a lot of medication. It's the folks who don't need the meds and abuse the system that really mess it up for those of us who get badly hurt and really need the medication. I'm so glad my surgery helped me and my need for meds is down. I really feel for those of you who have not had outcomes as successful as mine.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Isteller that is a very humbling view to say many others here have conditions that are complex and unresolved nobody wants to go through any of this. The notion that volume medication alone is the panacea of improvement has to be challenged and a range of simultaneous strategies deemed the most effective way of managing pain. Each individual has to find what works for them; this is a long and ardours road, littered with failure disappointment and tentative success.

It is important not judge others and many may have judged me, either aesthetically or from my first impression capability, they do not live with me day to day. SH should be a place of sanctuary where expressions of loss through pain are voiced, this is where others do understand and are supportive or encouraging. Many patients here are using the minimum medication necessary with success, rather than the maximum available; they have been up to the maximum threshold and any quality of life then unsustainable.

This PDF article does not make for easy reading as a pain patient, we have to set some ground rules for ourselves and use PT, CBT and PM to maximise any opportunity for progression pacing or management, I as many here have had chronic pain a very long time and would not want to be starting my journey again, all that indecisiveness, diagnostic evaluation and collective surgery. Bless everyone who has this road or any to travel.

Take care; be kind to yourself and happy reading.

John
  • advertisement
  • I'm sorry if I gave the impression that I didn't take anyone's pain seriously or that I was judging anyone. I've deleted a lot from my signature (was told it would be deleted for me if I didn't take it out), but I've had a 3-level lumbar fusion and I do understand the pain. I also know that it can return for seemingly no reason at all, at a moment's notice. No offense intended here.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • I didn't see anything in your post that was offensive. I think John is complimenting your compassion and humility, not finding fault with what you wrote.

One thing to note:
    Spine-health does have a rule of 5 lines maximum signatures. A lot of people are posting their medical history in their profile and then people can just click the user name to read about it. Another option would be to make a post outlining your situation and then place a url to that post in your signature line.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Good article John. I saved it, I think just about every answer is in the article that people ever asked in here and some,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • advertisement
  • You said nothing wrong, Think simple missunerstanding, hapens all the time,

Especialy with me usualy lol

Cindy i have not been able to figure out how you use that url link for history,
    My computer is not idiot proof i guess, Can i just copy and paste whats under my posts now and place it in a url? Or i have to paste in a post then save link or what?

Ok i just already confused myself, Now my brain hurts,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Yes Cindy I was, I did send Isteller a PM to clarify my comments, my only concern was that even with people who we feel want medication for alternative motives need help, many people here have pain of unspecified origin or diagnosis, they are entitled to care and consideration and equal compassion.

Ps I have to acknowledge that my link was posted in this thread on page 30 as Intractable Pain Handbook.

Take care all. John
  • I created a post here in spine-health, and then copy/pasted the url in my signature profile. Others have linked to blogs they have created.

So for the breakdown:
    Create a post somewhere--new member introductions possibly.
    Submit that post.
    Copy the URL
    Open your account and paste the URL into the signature place.

I hope this helps.

Cindy
    Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Ok. I think i got it now. Thanks, I need to do either the url or make the history shorter under my name, When i 1 st sighned up with sh i just typed in the long version instead just basic facts of procedures,

I get long winded sometimes, I think i should of been born a woman not a man!
    Git-ir-done
    2012 scs implant ,
advertisement
This discussion has been closed.